Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas keep "Confederate Heroes Day" as a state holiday?
Yes 19 28.36%
No 48 71.64%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 06:03 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I would say that the separation from Mexico was not JUST about slavery - it was also getting land/power of their own in general. The civil was was all about slavery.
Yes, of course. I'm just pointing out that the actual Texas State curriculum standards go into great detail about the causes of the Texas Revolution and fail to even MENTION slavery. That is a pretty striking omission. These are the standards that all teachers are required to teach to.

And the textbooks such as the example I posted also completely whitewash the issue of slavery. They talk about Mexico prohibiting the importation of slaves and outlawing slavery as a strategy to limit Anglo immigration into Texas which is a pretty bizarre assertion. Slavery was outlawed across all of Mexico in 1829 for revolutionary reasons related to justice and equality, not to try to limit Anglo immigration in the far distant backwater of Texas. Remember, in Mexico a lot of the slavery was native Indian slavery not black slavery. That is who worked in the silver mines and such. It is just a very strange spin. When in actual fact, slavery was going to be completely outlawed in all of Texas, not just the importation of new slaves. In other words, every Texas cotton plantation owner was going to see all of their slaves freed if they remained in Mexico. Mexico was just 30 years ahead of the US in that respect. And both times it lead to a war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2022, 10:07 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
I would say that the separation from Mexico was not JUST about slavery - it was also getting land/power of their own in general. The civil was was all about slavery.
I think you understand the big picture.
There are those who are promoting the notion that slavery was the central motivation for all the major events in Texas of that period. It certainly was a big part for some, but was not necessarily for the majority, as slave owners were actually a minority. Of course, they were a very influential minority.

Old 01-22-2022, 11:07 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I think you understand the big picture.
There are those who are promoting the notion that slavery was the central motivation for all the major events in Texas of that period. It certainly was a big part for some, but was not necessarily for the majority, as slave owners were actually a minority. Of course, they were a very influential minority.
I don't think anyone is promoting slavery as the sole cause of the Texas Revolution. We are just pointing out that the state is "whitewashing" history so to speak in its history standards by failing to mention the issue of slavery as a contributing cause AT ALL. While at the same time going on at great length about all kinds of other obscure contributing causes and events. Like the Edwards land grants, or the 1830s import tariffs.

Old 01-22-2022, 11:38 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Well … Texas is not a country and the confederacy is not a country
Problem solved

Old 01-22-2022, 02:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
You know what always cracked me up, even as a kid? When people would say that a certain land was "discovered" by some European. Even then I would think "But it wasn't discovered anew by the people who were already living there." Even then I remember thinking "No, what you mean is that a TRADE ROUTE was discovered by a European."

Old 01-22-2022, 02:25 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
FWIW, the middle school kids are at least getting to read the Texas declaration of secession. That was somehow not presented when I was in MS, at least other than mentioning it existed. To be fair, the teachers did make it pretty clear the war was about slavery.
Right. I grew up in the southeast. I remember being an ADULT and being shocked at the racism that was easily apparent in nearly every single (maybe every single) article of secession - the outright and upfront support of the whole concept of slavery and in many cases, the idea that African people were inferior to European people. Honestly, the blatant nature of it all needs to be taught to every school child in my opinion.

Old 01-22-2022, 02:34 PM

3,728 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Losers Day I guess.
I always find this to be a strange & petty view of the Confederacy. Mocking them because they lost their attempt at independence. Gloating because the Southern states were forced to stay in a Union they no longer wanted.. By this logic, the Northern (& all) states are also 'losers', because they have no precedent to ever assert their independence if they desire it.
And also, by your thinking, didn't the Northern states lose in a way.. they had to stay united with a group of people you view as traitors & losers.. How was that a win for Yankees ? (peace)

Old 01-22-2022, 02:41 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I always find this to be a strange & petty view of the Confederacy. Mocking them because they lost their attempt at independence. Gloating because the Southern states were forced to stay in a Union they no longer wanted.. By this logic, the Northern (& all) states are also 'losers', because they have no precedent to ever assert their independence if they desire it.
And also, by your thinking, didn't the Northern states lose in a way.. they had to stay united with a group of people you view as traitors & losers.. How was that a win for Yankees ? (peace)
That and that the Southern states were financially, infrastructurally and socially destroyed and in the toilet for the next century. As Ben Jones (Cooter) once put it, it was root, hog or die.

I have zero issues with Confederate Heroes Day, it was also consequently Robert E. Lee Day in Mississippi and Alabama this weekend.

I wish TexasReb was still here for this.

Old 01-22-2022, 03:26 PM

6,497 posts, read 7,525,332 times
^ You've given the best response in this thread supporting the holiday...but all you said was "I have zero issues with Confederate Heroes Day."

Old 01-22-2022, 03:51 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
That and that the Southern states were financially, infrastructurally and socially destroyed and in the toilet for the next century.
Do you know why they were financially destroyed?
Because their slaves were freed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas