Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 03:10 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times

Advertisements

I wonder when Texas is going to embrace Spanish
When I go to Louisiana, I see a welcome sign in English and French
That's not the case on Texas' welcome sign

https://www.texastribune.org/2015/11...n-texas-homes/

Of the 23.7 million people in Texas who are five years of age or older, more than a third speak a language other than English at home. A large majority of those — almost 85 percent — speak Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 04:44 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,999,431 times
People will ***** and moan about people from other states moving here but somebody from an entirely different country? Yahoo! I don't get it tbh.

Old 02-08-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
People will ***** and moan about people from other states moving here but somebody from an entirely different country? Yahoo! I don't get it tbh.
Those are the people that one day say that Texas is the greatest thing in the World
And the next day complain about all the bad things about Texas.

Old 02-08-2022, 05:53 PM

304 posts, read 184,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Those are the people that one day say that Texas is the greatest thing in the World
And the next day complain about all the bad things about Texas.
As opposed to the people who say Texas brought them more opportunities, open up businesses, create jobs, pay taxes, work hard.

Sorry. They are brown though!

Old 02-08-2022, 07:01 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Regarding the Indian population, I remember in the 80s and early 90s most of the Indian immigrants in Texas either seemed to be convenience store or hotel owners, then suddenly in the 2000's it seemed that most Indians immigrants I came across were white collar workers and either in tech or medical doctors. Their shift in immigration over the years is certainly an interesting one I'd like to learn more about.

I'm also curious about the Vietnamese immigrant population, are they mostly older past refugees or do they also include younger immigrants?

Regarding Philippine immigrants, I mostly associate them with being around Military bases as was the case with most Filipinos in San Antonio.

Last edited by malcorub16; 02-08-2022 at 07:09 PM..

Old 02-09-2022, 11:41 AM

Likely is a similar situation with venezuelan immigrants but the other way around
Venezuela were the second highest educated group of immigrants behind nigerians in Houston.
I bet that's changed now that a huge wave of poor venezuelans left the country.

Old 02-09-2022, 11:54 AM

304 posts, read 184,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Regarding the Indian population, I remember in the 80s and early 90s most of the Indian immigrants in Texas either seemed to be convenience store or hotel owners, then suddenly in the 2000's it seemed that most Indians immigrants I came across were white collar workers and either in tech or medical doctors. Their shift in immigration over the years is certainly an interesting one I'd like to learn more about.

I'm also curious about the Vietnamese immigrant population, are they mostly older past refugees or do they also include younger immigrants?

Regarding Philippine immigrants, I mostly associate them with being around Military bases as was the case with most Filipinos in San Antonio.
Filipino also has a large representation in the medical community as well. Tons of PA’s/RN’s/DR’s

Vietnamese immigration boom was 70’s, but the population has since more than doubled so there’s probably a mix of second generation and other immigration for jobs/family, etc.

Old 02-09-2022, 01:00 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,474,844 times
Quote:
No one should be moaning about either. Diversity is one of the biggest strengths Texas has.

Old 02-09-2022, 06:50 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Vote?

Quote:
Maybe because people from other countries cannot vote. People from other states are fleeing the mess created by Democrat policies and yet they vote the same in Texas which is a great state because they don't have all the Democrat policies. ?? Most failed states and cities are Democrat run, why bring that to Texas?

Old 02-09-2022, 06:54 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default True...

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post

Growing up as an adult in that time frame, I agree with what you say... the Indian population were always the butt of jokes, and their accent. My career was in IT, and many of the new IT population was from India as India churned out IT professionals, Engineers and scientists by the millions, they went all over the world. Personally, I have yet to meet an Indian who was not highly educated, and intelligent... they get the importance of an education. I have several Indian friends from my days in the IT realm, great people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas