Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 07:26 AM

3,245 posts, read 5,586,899 times

Advertisements

I love anecdotal proof !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2022, 08:09 AM

1,952 posts, read 811,847 times
That is why the newer neighborhoods held no appeal to us and we bought in an older area. The lack of trees taller than 6 feet just looks awful and you get no shade in your yard at all. It looks barren and bleak. Especially when the newer neighborhoods have houses that all look the same.

A sterile look that we just could not begin to like....sorry.

Old 03-04-2022, 09:32 AM

12,882 posts, read 13,186,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
That is why the newer neighborhoods held no appeal to us and we bought in an older area. The lack of trees taller than 6 feet just looks awful and you get no shade in your yard at all. It looks barren and bleak. Especially when the newer neighborhoods have houses that all look the same.

A sterile look that we just could not begin to like....sorry.
US suburbia can look like nature’s paradise compared to the one we stay at when visiting London, England a few years back. Talk about “cookie cutter” houses.... this is what most all the middle class neighborhoods looked like all over the city and surrounding suburbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Trying to find a reason to stay in Texas-bc73bde8-d664-4eed-9acf-c5f9ef4a453b.jpeg   Trying to find a reason to stay in Texas-03a5bcb2-db05-4cfe-8362-1d8fb2dece07.jpeg  

Old 03-04-2022, 09:37 AM

26,377 posts, read 46,267,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I think your perceptions are a bit distorted. I'm in as heavily forested a region as there is anywhere in the US and we get 50-55" of rain yearly pretty spread out too. Winter is one of our wetter times. And, ain't no plains around here.
Anywhere west of I-35 is also substantially drier than east of there for certain.

The soil moisture map is a good case in point:

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/produc.../Soilmst.shtml

Old 03-04-2022, 11:15 AM

1,952 posts, read 811,847 times
East of I-45 is pretty green and wet in Texas. Very different than the western part of the state.

Old 03-08-2022, 07:38 AM

4,364 posts, read 4,560,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
US suburbia can look like nature’s paradise compared to the one we stay at when visiting London, England a few years back. Talk about “cookie cutter” houses.... this is what most all the middle class neighborhoods looked like all over the city and surrounding suburbs.
Maybe you should post a different picture because that first pic packed more character than most suburbs here in the states and especially the burbs in Texas.

Old 03-08-2022, 10:35 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,648,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Honestly, those homes have way more character than any home in the Dallas area.

This is a modest suburb in Paris and it still has more character than the tree-less subdivisions that are all over DFW. https://goo.gl/maps/Yt4Xkxahhfp3DkRi9

Old 03-09-2022, 09:26 AM

26,377 posts, read 46,267,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

This is a modest suburb in Paris and it still has more character than the tree-less subdivisions that are all over DFW. https://goo.gl/maps/Yt4Xkxahhfp3DkRi9
By comparison this is a nearly new cookie cutter subdivision in the Research Triangle, note the attention to detail on the materials of the houses and focus on landscaping. Just thought it was interesting considering both are faster growing metros in the Sunbelt, obviously with differing climates.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9335...7i16384!8i8192

Old 03-10-2022, 08:49 AM

11,681 posts, read 7,827,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
By comparison this is a nearly new cookie cutter subdivision in the Research Triangle, note the attention to detail on the materials of the houses and focus on landscaping. Just thought it was interesting considering both are faster growing metros in the Sunbelt, obviously with differing climates.

Yeah. That’s the way most newer subdivisions in Atlanta metro and Charlotte metro look as well. Wood is in ample more supply so you get frame housing instead of brick/veneer. You also get many more homes that are one sided / two sided brick and the rest frame or stucco than in Texas as well. Personally, having done real estate rehabilitation in the southeast, I prefer our building materials than the materials used out east because they’re much more durable and less susceptible to termites. Newer homes that is. Older homes especially in the DFW area seem very prone cracking or breaking foundations due to clay soil. Have seen some so bad that walls have literally separated. I believe they are using better foundation practices today though.

Texas housing does look very cookie cutter but Texas weather is a lot harsher than weather in the Southeast so it has to stand up to more abuse. So to compensate for affordability and durability, we will lose more character as a result. These people complaining about our lack of character need to go and see how much it costs to build a custom home with a similar plot as our cookie cutter counterparts and you will see why it’s not done. Most people wouldn’t be able to realistically afford it when all housing and material costs are considered on top of our property tax.

Old 03-11-2022, 03:24 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,560,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

Crazy how this Paris suburb would be the most urban area amongst any major city in TX. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post

Yeah that's suburbia but it looks better than most suburban neighborhoods in Houston, DFW, San Antonio, Austin. Which btw I wouldn't consider the most desirable suburbs/sub divisions in these major TX cities to be considered "affordable" anymore. Maybe 5 to 10 years ago but not today. So you're not even getting a bang for your buck anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas