Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 01:29 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times

Advertisements

I'm was raised in deep east Texas as a bible-believing Southern Baptist but I married a rare white Catholic girl in west Texas and am still much in love with her a half century later.

And if you think my wife's family members were not "good" Catholics, her father refused to come to our wedding and the wife's aunts, uncles and cousins who attended sit through our Baptist wedding ceremony with their arms folded as though lightning would come through the roof at any moment. We all got along afterward splendidly and, not that it mattered much to me, my FIL even apologized years later. I loved them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2022, 04:22 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
I don't think white catholics are that rare in Texas.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:29 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
No, but it kind of depends on what part of the state you're in. Areas of historic Czech, Polish, and Italian immigration, plus areas with many relocated Cajuns, will have a lot more white Catholics. Maybe Germans, though most descendants of Germans in TX seem to be Lutheran, not Catholic (I could be wrong on that).

Not sure how many of those with Irish ancestry came from Catholic or Protestant backgrounds.

The white Catholic presence in much of North Texas and the "Mid-West" parts of the state (Abilene, San Angelo etc.) seems pretty sparse. Places that had historically been "dry" (no alcohol sales) seem to not have very many white Catholics, which is probably not a coincidence.

Old 03-02-2022, 02:01 PM

202 posts, read 250,886 times
The reason I asked about Catholics is because lately, I’ve gotten a bit of criticism from non-Catholics. One women stated that if I remained Catholic, she couldn’t date me. Protestants seem to hold that mindset the strongest and in some areas I considered, they were the vast majority. Which really limited my dating potential.
I don’t care about race. You respect me, I respect you. But knowing that many parts of Texas are heavily non-white, I wondered how that worked out. I’ve seen a lot of ads for roommates that are in Spanish, and wondered if that was a way of saying “Hispanics/Spanish speakers only” without violating discrimination policies. And sometimes, when you have areas that are minority-majority, there’s a fear that people may be nervous or uncomfortable with white folks. I live near Detroit and many non-whites are outright militant about people like me moving in. And when people have a tight community, interracial dating may be less common.
I think Latin women are gorgeous and if one would date me, that would be an ego boost for me lol.

Old 03-02-2022, 02:34 PM

1,952 posts, read 828,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdawg View Post
The reason I asked about Catholics is because lately, I’ve gotten a bit of criticism from non-Catholics. One women stated that if I remained Catholic, she couldn’t date me. Protestants seem to hold that mindset the strongest and in some areas I considered, they were the vast majority. Which really limited my dating potential.
I don’t care about race. You respect me, I respect you. But knowing that many parts of Texas are heavily non-white, I wondered how that worked out. I’ve seen a lot of ads for roommates that are in Spanish, and wondered if that was a way of saying “Hispanics/Spanish speakers only” without violating discrimination policies. And sometimes, when you have areas that are minority-majority, there’s a fear that people may be nervous or uncomfortable with white folks. I live near Detroit and many non-whites are outright militant about people like me moving in. And when people have a tight community, interracial dating may be less common.
I think Latin women are gorgeous and if one would date me, that would be an ego boost for me lol.

Many of us native Texan Anglos have Mexicans in our families. It is very common in the western part of our state.

I have a cousin and two nephews that all married Mexican women. We are Protestant, they were Catholics but none of us are real serious about religion, so it worked. LOL We are all one happy family and everyone gets along great.

Old 03-02-2022, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
No, but it kind of depends on what part of the state you're in. Areas of historic Czech, Polish, and Italian immigration, plus areas with many relocated Cajuns, will have a lot more white Catholics. Maybe Germans, though most descendants of Germans in TX seem to be Lutheran, not Catholic (I could be wrong on that).

Not sure how many of those with Irish ancestry came from Catholic or Protestant backgrounds.

The white Catholic presence in much of North Texas and the "Mid-West" parts of the state (Abilene, San Angelo etc.) seems pretty sparse. Places that had historically been "dry" (no alcohol sales) seem to not have very many white Catholics, which is probably not a coincidence.
From my experience I find more German Catholics than any other white (Anglo) Catholics. Could be just because there were a lot of Germans that came to San Antonio and surrounding areas.

I would agree that the rarest places would be small towns in West Texas.

Old 03-02-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdawg View Post
There are a lot of Catholics in Texas, regardless of race, so I think people are more willing to have protestant/catholic relationships. This has never been a problem for me. I am also Catholic.

The main minority group that inhabits Texas is a lot friendly to whites, no matter what part of America you are in, than the main minority group that inhabits Detroit.

The only place I ever faced discrimination is school. So maybe don't put your kid in a high school that is vast majority hispanic.

You will be fine.

Where I live which is San Antonio you see white/hispanic couples almost as much as white/white couples. This doesn't translate well for me, sadly. I am mostly Anglo, slightly Hispanic, but it seems like Hispanic girls don't consider me as anything more than a hook up. With that said, if you are mostly into Hispanic girls, you will be quite pleased.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:39 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
Quote:
From my experience I find more German Catholics than any other white (Anglo) Catholics. Could be just because there were a lot of Germans that came to San Antonio and surrounding areas.

I would agree that the rarest places would be small towns in West Texas.
I posit that, like Louisiana, Texas had a "fun line" - dividing the Hill Country, the east-central Texas area that had a lot of Czech and Polish settlement, and the Gulf Coast / SE Texas (Houston and Beaumont-Port Arthur) on its south vs. the heavily Baptist / CoC / Methodist areas on the north and west. I prefer the south side of the line myself, though I'm Protestant (but not really active).

Old 03-03-2022, 10:17 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,233 times
Quote:
Absolutely not, being right next door to Louisiana. Especially East Texas and Southeast Texas, along the Gulf Coast.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I posit that, like Louisiana, Texas had a "fun line" - dividing the Hill Country, the east-central Texas area that had a lot of Czech and Polish settlement, and the Gulf Coast / SE Texas (Houston and Beaumont-Port Arthur) on its south vs. the heavily Baptist / CoC / Methodist areas on the north and west. I prefer the south side of the line myself, though I'm Protestant (but not really active).
Northeast Texas is very similar to Northern Louisiana, I think the line starts at around east central Texas, goes west to the hill country (couldn't tell you where exactly), and then down around Junction to the border. Everything north and west is more protestant and southeast is more Catholic. This is just an estimation. I think in south Texas most of the Anglo settlers were initially more Protestant as well, but many of them have moved to other parts of the state and south Texas is now overwhelmingly Catholic due to the increasing Hispanic population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas