Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 03:45 PM

5,582 posts, read 4,855,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
According to the feds per mile driven serious MVA/death rates are roughly 2x higher in rural areas than cities. That's been the case for decades.
I would think that a great deal of the disparity comes from the proximity / quickness of emergency response to the crash site (EMTs) and proximity of a hospital emergency room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2022, 05:29 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,934,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
According to the feds per mile driven serious MVA/death rates are roughly 2x higher in rural areas than cities. That's been the case for decades.
I bet there's more head on collisons in rural areas per capita for the simple fact it's mostly two lane country roads. One little slip up, or someone overestimating how fast they can go around a curve or something, and a driver going the opposite direction is in the other lane.

Old 03-14-2022, 10:51 PM

19,522 posts, read 17,762,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I would think that a great deal of the disparity comes from the proximity / quickness of emergency response to the crash site (EMTs) and proximity of a hospital emergency room.
I'm sure that's a factor.

A pretty good friend had a leg traumatically amputated during a wreck on George Bush Turnpike in Dallas a few years ago. Between near instant EMS response and a HELO ride to Parkland he survived but just barely - on arrival at Parkland ER he had no pulse and no measurable blood pressure. Had that happened out the country somewhere he'd be dead for sure.

Old 03-14-2022, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I bet there's more head on collisons in rural areas per capita for the simple fact it's mostly two lane country roads. One little slip up, or someone overestimating how fast they can go around a curve or something, and a driver going the opposite direction is in the other lane.
Right, it's probably a lot of things no lighting, two lane only roads - usually, animals, worse equipment, lower quality drivers* etc. etc.

*We have a lake house in Grayson County Texas and ranch between San Angelo and Sterling City. Driving to either I am bewildered by the number of idiot moves.

Old 03-15-2022, 10:50 AM

10,955 posts, read 7,011,519 times
Rural drivers tend to stay off the interstates, and use roads and highways. The opposite is largely true too.

I see no difference on the roads, in decades of traveling.

The only difference now is in public bellyaching and problem-making. Some just can't stay at peace and positively focused. They must constantly find or create issues, and often bring them here.

Old 03-15-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Rural drivers tend to stay off the interstates, and use roads and highways. The opposite is largely true too.

I see no difference on the roads, in decades of traveling.

The only difference now is in public bellyaching and problem-making. Some just can't stay at peace and positively focused. They must constantly find or create issues, and often bring them here.
To my recollection I've never had anyone in the city pull right out in my path from a perpendicular position forcing me to brake hard. This happens in the country regularly........maybe every other time I drive to the lake or my ranch.

Again rural roads are far less safe than city roads that's a fact.

Last edited by EDS_; 03-15-2022 at 01:54 PM..

Old 03-16-2022, 10:21 AM

869 posts, read 310,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Ive been in LA the last week visiting family and friends with my wife. One thing that I am amazed by is that, while traffic is soooooo much worse in LA, the drivers are nowhere near as aggressive as Houston. LA's drivers are so much more courteous than Houston as crazy as that sounds. Only Miami and NYC have drivers that are as aggressive and inconsiderate as Houston in my experience.

I actually really miss Dallas drivers. Everyone drives over the speed limit all the time but not too far over. In Houston youve got people driving 20 under and 20 over trying to share the same road and all making bad decisions.

Hard to drive aggressively when you're LITERALLY blocked in bumper to bumper traffic, lol.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:49 PM

Just read in The DMN that ~25% of Texas road fatalities involve people in vehicles wearing no seat-belts. Further, among drivers and front seat passengers seatbelts cut accident deaths by about 45% and severe injury about 50%.

Additionally, driving a modern vehicle with airbags while not using seatbelts is just asinine......more or less asking to be mutilated by the airbag.

For crying out loud people buckle up.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:03 PM

15,161 posts, read 7,196,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Been taking road trips lately on I 45, 35 , 290 and beyond and been noticing madness. People treating these places like the autobahn. Anyone else notice our wreck less drivers spill into the country?
People are actually driving slower these days than I recall from the 80's, when I was driving 105(mph, not the road that runs through Conroe) on I-10 between Seguin and Houston and had to move to the right as a Lamborghini blew by at about 130. I also recall driving from North Dallas to Katy in less than 3 hours in 1989. There are more stupid drivers in total, but I don't think the percentage has gone up, rather, there are a lot more drivers in total..

Old 03-16-2022, 06:06 PM

15,161 posts, read 7,196,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Tell that the cop...

There are two main types of speed limit signs: regulatory speed signs which you must not exceed (black numbers on white sign), and advisory speed signs (black numbers on yellow sign) which indicate a recommended maximum speed for a corner in good driving conditions for the average car.

https://www.driverknowledgetests.com...visory-speeds/
Under Texas law, drivers must maintain a safe and prudent speed. Speed limit signs are prima facie evidence of what is safe and prudent. I know people who got out of tickets by convincing a judge that 95 in a 75 was safe and prudent on a straight road without any other cars out in West Texas. So, in Texas, speed limits are advisory, but very strong advisory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas