Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 12:27 AM

871 posts, read 2,690,142 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have talked off and on about selling our house in DFW and moving elsewhere in Texas, specifically to sell our home, pay off the mortgage, and buy a much cheaper house somewhere else in Texas.

The only requirements are: (1) it be in Texas; (2) new [already built] or newer (15 years or younger) homes and (3) it already has fiber internet. Not coming soon, not expected by certain date, but already has it. These are 100% firm requirements, not budging or compromising on them at all.

Moderate preference for somewhere near SPI like Harlingen area, but really open to anywhere in Texas. Can be totally in the middle of nowhere as long as it has the above.

Having a tough time doing a search along these lines. I did a search for cheap places to live in the US that have fiber, and found a link that directed me to Shiner, TX because apparently, they have fiber internet, but I couldn't find any developments their that fit the bill.

At this point not ruling out anything based on price (Although safe to say, we aren't considering anything over $350k, and want that as low as possible as long as requirements are met), I just want to be able to see and evaluate.

Any ideas? Any specific new/newer home communities that you know have fiber to point me to? Especially ones in the middle of nowhere and are, hence, inexpensive?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 06:00 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
We've been promised fiber optics since 2010 out here in BFE. Still waiting.

Old 04-19-2022, 06:26 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,415,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
We've been promised fiber optics since 2010 out here in BFE. Still waiting.

+1 - Still can't rep you.

We have a major fiber backbone running straight through our little town that the provider refused to break out to service the area. It wasn't until two years ago when a major Builder came out and started dropping in 2000 homes that the provider opened it up and ran it to the new development. Even so they won't run it less than 1/4 mile away to service the road I am on. It's all about money thanks to Judge Green and The Modified Final Judgement (Google it).

That's not to say you can't find FO out in BFE. However it will not be common at all without a large base to service. There are developments in BFE that do have it but house prices are not going to be < $350K. Those developments are typically higher end ones and homes are well above that.

BTW the development they broke fiber out to is being filled with 1250 Sq. Ft. - 2100 Sq. Ft. homes with most of those below 2000 Sq. Ft. The 1250 Sq. Ft. home has already risen to a bit over $220K.

Old 04-19-2022, 01:48 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,460,702 times
Last year I moved into another house on a Thursday, and I didn't get fiber until Monday the next week.

Old 04-19-2022, 07:06 PM

Maybe I'll ask the question better:

I found a company called "Vexus Fiber." Apparently they serve many cities that I would consider to have cheaper (much cheaper) real estate than DFW. They also have a website where you can see by map literally down to the street where Vexus Fiber is available and where it is coming. https://connect.vexusfiber.com/front_end/zones

Anyone know of any other Texas cities (maybe just stick to cities and not communities/subdivisions) in rural areas or semi-rural areas that have fiber (like companies like Vexus Fiber)?

Thanks!

Edit: Another example:
This is a list of Texas cities with AT&T Fiber
https://www.att.com/local/fiber/texas

Last edited by pappy97; 04-19-2022 at 07:33 PM..

Old 04-19-2022, 07:57 PM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
My wife and I have talked off and on about selling our house in DFW and moving elsewhere in Texas, specifically to sell our home, pay off the mortgage, and buy a much cheaper house somewhere else in Texas.

The only requirements are: (1) it be in Texas; (2) new [already built] or newer (15 years or younger) homes and (3) it already has fiber internet. Not coming soon, not expected by certain date, but already has it. These are 100% firm requirements, not budging or compromising on them at all.

Moderate preference for somewhere near SPI like Harlingen area, but really open to anywhere in Texas. Can be totally in the middle of nowhere as long as it has the above.

Having a tough time doing a search along these lines. I did a search for cheap places to live in the US that have fiber, and found a link that directed me to Shiner, TX because apparently, they have fiber internet, but I couldn't find any developments their that fit the bill.

At this point not ruling out anything based on price (Although safe to say, we aren't considering anything over $350k, and want that as low as possible as long as requirements are met), I just want to be able to see and evaluate.

Any ideas? Any specific new/newer home communities that you know have fiber to point me to? Especially ones in the middle of nowhere and are, hence, inexpensive?

Thanks!!

I can't help much. However, we have a weekend crash-pad/lake house north of Dallas in the boondocks. Somehow, someway we have fiber to the house. It's both dead reliable and seemingly as fast as our Gigapower/Gigabit whatever, whatever fiber in Dallas.

Old 04-20-2022, 03:18 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,383,053 times
Quote:
Maybe I'll ask the question better:

I found a company called "Vexus Fiber." Apparently they serve many cities that I would consider to have cheaper (much cheaper) real estate than DFW. They also have a website where you can see by map literally down to the street where Vexus Fiber is available and where it is coming. https://connect.vexusfiber.com/front_end/zones

Anyone know of any other Texas cities (maybe just stick to cities and not communities/subdivisions) in rural areas or semi-rural areas that have fiber (like companies like Vexus Fiber)?

Thanks!

Edit: Another example:
Gainesville, Tx , and thereabouts. Lookup NorTex.com and the fiber service areas.

Old 04-20-2022, 03:36 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,460,702 times
Quote:
Ask AT&T first before you buy if it's a concern. I moved and technically am not in a "city" anymore. They ran fiber for about 600 ft. (guesstimate) to service my house.

Old 04-20-2022, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Gainesville, Tx , and thereabouts. Lookup NorTex.com and the fiber service areas.
Thanks! This is the kind of answer I've been looking for. Appreciate it!

Old 04-22-2022, 02:53 PM

4,847 posts, read 3,276,133 times
Quote:
My wife and I have talked off and on about selling our house in DFW and moving elsewhere in Texas, specifically to sell our home, pay off the mortgage, and buy a much cheaper house somewhere else in Texas....
For a point of reference as to 'cheap', check out any of the many new construction tract developments going up in the Seguin/New Braunfels area. Having watched some of these going up, I just shake my head.
Anything in reasonably good condition 10-15 years old is selling for crazy money as well. I guess it depends on how much house you have now in DFW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas