Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 01:09 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times

Advertisements

I just spent the weekend in Aggieland visiting a friend. It has grown a LOT since my last visit! My friend says it is not an inexpensive place to live, mostly thanks to TAMU, and to the surrounding high tech industries that have sprang up to support the University’s research, and the many University employees. There are a lot of new homes being built, but they are not inexpensive. The towns of Bryan and College Station have more family amenities, but they are still very focused on the students. Politically and ethnically, there is a lot of diversity, which again is due to the university. My friends say property taxes are betting higher and higher, so they are actually looking to leave, too. Jobs for your adult child would primarily be service industry, unless they know a trade, or are able to work in high tech.

As for the climate, the difference between B/CS and Tyler is negligible since they are only 149 miles apart. Both have lots of trees and are quite humid in the summer. If you’re suffering with asthma, have you considered somewhere to the west that will be less humid? San Angelo and Abilene would both be possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 04:00 PM

6 posts, read 8,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I just spent the weekend in Aggieland visiting a friend. It has grown a LOT since my last visit! My friend says it is not an inexpensive place to live, mostly thanks to TAMU, and to the surrounding high tech industries that have sprang up to support the University’s research, and the many University employees. There are a lot of new homes being built, but they are not inexpensive. The towns of Bryan and College Station have more family amenities, but they are still very focused on the students. Politically and ethnically, there is a lot of diversity, which again is due to the university. My friends say property taxes are betting higher and higher, so they are actually looking to leave, too. Jobs for your adult child would primarily be service industry, unless they know a trade, or are able to work in high tech.

As for the climate, the difference between B/CS and Tyler is negligible since they are only 149 miles apart. Both have lots of trees and are quite humid in the summer. If you’re suffering with asthma, have you considered somewhere to the west that will be less humid? San Angelo and Abilene would both be possibilities.
How convenient ! Inexpensive .. you say? I suppose, depends on each persons' economical situation . Homes start around $450K everywhere here and previously we've purchased twice between 180k and 220k (not new built). I have researched on the newer homes being constructed according to the builders companies and they seem affordable compared. YAY!!! .. for more family amenities & diversity I imagine taxes will keep increasing, especially when it's in relation to being so close to public educational areas (experience). With me homeschooling, we aren't really in need of being too close to one. It's sad to know your friend's having to endure the same past situation, I wish them luck. My adult son actually is in the tech-field while my hubby is industrial. So that pans out.

Since I previously lived in Houston and wasn't introduced fully to my asthma symptoms until I moved into Austin, being that BCS is almost in-between .. I'm willing to take my chances. I visited Tyler (not trying to throw any shade) but just ain't interested in it. Also visited Abilene plenty of times, don't like it. I'll give San Angelo a looksie.

Thank you for all your detailed info, your post has been very insightful. Much appreciated

Old 04-27-2022, 09:13 AM

1,952 posts, read 827,682 times
Not as cheap as it used to be. All the wealthy college kids push the housing prices higher.

Same stores as Houston has, ditto for restaurants. Climate is similar with stifling humidity.

Yes, I too would chose San Angelo or Abilene over BCS, due to the humidity and Houston-like congestion. I also would not want to be around that many Aggies. LOL

Old 08-01-2023, 11:33 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooKitten View Post
Referring to your previous HOWDY statement, you'd probably be shocked to realize that not all Texas cities have friendly down-to-earth people and frankly .. I'm just tired of it.

I agree that there should be other small cities in east side of Texas. Problem is HOW affordable is it?
SO to answer your curiosity, AFFORDABILITY. Austin rentals have sky rocketed 40-60% in the last year. Even homeowners are suffering the crisis as how to pay their new appraisals. I'm originally from Houston, lived 15 years there prior to moving to Austin area. But I seriously don't care to return to live in it.

Like I've stated before, I'd prefer a smaller .. quieter outskirts city .. is all *shrugs*
Texas cities like Houston, San Antonio, sure.

Places like lufkin, nacogdoches, college station (just naming places in east Texas) you will find nice people. And as far as affordable they will all be very affordable compared to Austin or Houston or even San Antonio. College station might be the least affordable since it’s kind of blowing up due to A&M

Old 08-01-2023, 11:35 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times
These would be my suggestions for you don’t pick college station. (No order)

San Angelo, Tyler, nacogodches, lufkin, Victoria, Stephenville, granbury
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas