Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 12:29 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times

Advertisements

Energy Star Sales Tax Holiday (98-836) (http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxpubs/tx98_836/ - broken link)

This has not been publicized much at all. I saw it in the DMN the other day. Just about ANY Energy Star Appliance purchased this weekend you don't have to pay sales tax on. WOO-HOO!!!! If your looking to get some new appliances NOW is the time to do it. Talk about really saving some money. This is MUCH better than the back to schoo no sales tax on limited items. This is BIG TICKET items.

Too bad I already bought a fridge this year If I would have known I would have held out a bit longer.

BTW, everyone that does take advantage of this - post the amount you saved cause that can REALLY add up. I think it would be cool to see how much everyone saved on this all combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 12:31 PM

It includes LIGHT BULBS!!! I'm stocking up.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:13 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
But buy only if you really need it, or it is not a bargain!

Old 05-22-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
But buy only if you really need it, or it is not a bargain!
Actually, right now with prices going up and they are only going to go up
Energy prices are going to be MUCH higher so if you have appliances several years old you could save a LOT more money other than just the sales tax by replacing them with more energy efficient models. Old appliances suck up a lot of energy w/o people realizing it. No, your not going to go out and buy 4 refrigerators just because to save the sales tax. But if you have a 10 year old one then it is something to seriously think about. They do NOT make appliances like they used to and they don't last much longer than 10 years now .

Everyone is ALWAYS going to need light bulbs. So that CAN be a very good buy and investment. I just don't need to stock an entire room full of them but get a package or two of replacements for all the different ones we need and use.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
I've already scoped out a refrigerator that I'll be buying tomorrow. The store I'm buying it from is also having a sale this month, so I'll be saving almost 30% on the purchase!

Old 05-22-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I've already scoped out a refrigerator that I'll be buying tomorrow. The store I'm buying it from is also having a sale this month, so I'll be saving almost 30% on the purchase!
It does not start till Saturday morning. I thought it would be Friday-Monday but it is only Saturday-Monday.

Good job, find real deal on the price and save by not paying sales tax as well.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
It does not start till Saturday morning. I thought it would be Friday-Monday but it is only Saturday-Monday.
Huh, the store I was going to buy from told me the holiday started on Friday, but you are indeed correct. Thanks for saving me a trip!

Quoting from the link in your OP:

"The 2008 Energy Star sales tax holiday begins at 12:01 a.m. on Saturday, May 24, and ends at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, May 26 (Memorial Day)."

Old 05-22-2008, 06:40 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
That's really cool! I could use some another fan or two, sigh. Or, hey, maybe I'll buy a window air conditioner for my bedroom!

Old 05-22-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Huh, the store I was going to buy from told me the holiday started on Friday, but you are indeed correct. Thanks for saving me a trip!

Quoting from the link in your OP:

"The 2008 Energy Star sales tax holiday begins at 12:01 a.m. on Saturday, May 24, and ends at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, May 26 (Memorial Day)."
Your welcome. That WOULD stink to make a trip thinking you would save it and waste some $4 a gallon gas. OUCH!! And

One thing I don't get is this:

Sellers may not advertise or in any way promise to pay or not charge sales tax that is due on the sale of taxable items. See Tax Code Section 151.704. Sellers may, however, advertise that tax is included in the sales price of the taxable items that they sell.

Sooooooo, the stores can not advertise this "tax free weekend" on appliances???? But they do for the back to school "tax free weekend". And your ALWAYS seeing furniture stores and such advertise "we will pay your sales tax". ????? Anyone know more about this law? The media should really be pumping this tax break though and you would THINK the state would as well in order to generate some sales and get cash flowing along w/ helping people buy more efficient appliances to save money on electricity. ??? That's government for ya though.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:11 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
When I went to Kmart yesterday, they had a sign in front of the store about this and there was some fine print I didn't stop to read. Leave it to the state to put in some confusing clause, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: