Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2022, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,582 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

I currently live in Central Florida.

Me and my wife were planning to maybe move to Clermont, FL, but recently, our plans have changed since her parents (specifically her Dad) has to move to Houston, TX,to be near his cousins since he suffered a stroke and has become dependent.

They were living near us in Florida up until recently, but have to sell their house, etc to move on.

With this in mind, we have the idea to set my wife's parents up with a duplex with my wife's sister's family who was planning to move to the Houston area anyway.

However, my main question is this:
- Does anyone know any good suburb-y type city like Clermont, FL?

The reason I ask is that we liked that city a lot since it had three lanes of traffic on either side, had normal drivers, was overall pretty chill, but had every amenity or outlet type store including department stores, food, etc that you could imagine.

Plus, it had a few nice lakes and a main street setup that was nice for families etc.

I don't expect anyone to be here from the Florida area, but would appreciate if anyone could help me think of a few areas near Houston, or even in Texas to consider.

I mention this because I talked with other parts of my side of the family, and at least two people from mine would be willing to move near me in Texas if I moved, so I would need some help figuring out what's good or not.

I have a cousin who builds houses in Texas, so I might be able to get that going, and the mortgage itself isn't too much of hassle. Its just the areas I have no idea about to be honest.

Thanks for reading my post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 10:55 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,063,544 times
Where near Houston do your cousins live? I'm familiar with the Houston area, lived there for 23 years. I now live in my hometown of Tyler, in Northeast Texas, which would have much of what you had, Rolling hills, pine, and mostly huge oak trees, roses azaleas, THE medical center for about 400,000 people but Tyler is only 100,000 piop.

However, Tyler is about 200 miles North of Houston. Because of the disastrous floods in Houston proper several years ago, Houston proper is only growing a little less than 1,000 people per year.

More and more people live West of Houston, Katy, and west of there, or North of Houston, The Woodlands, Conroe, and even North of Conroe, booming areas.

You said, "or even Texas" is the only reason I mentioned Tyler, one and one-half hours East of Dallas proper, about an hour, now, to the suburbs of Forney and Terrell.

I know this is a "broad" answer, but you could start with this, and email me directly if you would like or need to.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:10 AM

11,714 posts, read 7,904,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Where near Houston do your cousins live? I'm familiar with the Houston area, lived there for 23 years. I now live in my hometown of Tyler, in Northeast Texas, which would have much of what you had, Rolling hills, pine, and mostly huge oak trees, roses azaleas, THE medical center for about 400,000 people but Tyler is only 100,000 piop.

However, Tyler is about 200 miles North of Houston. Because of the disastrous floods in Houston proper several years ago, Houston proper is only growing a little less than 1,000 people per year.

More and more people live West of Houston, Katy, and west of there, or North of Houston, The Woodlands, Conroe, and even North of Conroe, booming areas.

You said, "or even Texas" is the only reason I mentioned Tyler, one and one-half hours East of Dallas proper, about an hour, now, to the suburbs of Forney and Terrell.

I know this is a "broad" answer, but you could start with this, and email me directly if you would like or need to.
Since we're on subject of flooding, how prone are Houston's suburbs to flooding?

Old 05-08-2022, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post

Hey Mark,

Thanks for your post! I bookmarked, Tyler, Texas to check it out.

I tried PM'ing you but City Data forums is being a bit weird about it. Would love to hear more from you.

Forgot to also include this (will include this at the top), currently debating either Texas, or Omaha, Nebraska, area.

My cousin who builds houses lives in the Dallas area, but honestly... I don't want to end up there either.

I'll be honest, I'm pretty conservative, so I'd rather not be wherever the Californian liberals are moving to in flocks right now. However, I did more research on Houston, and the murder rates are not too good either, so I'm feeling kind of weird about debating Texas overall. We'll see.

Curious about your thoughts guys, thanks.

Old 05-08-2022, 05:56 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,970,368 times
The suburbs near Houston mentioned are very safe. Especially the northern ones. Honestly if you don't want to ever go to Houston you will find everything you need in the suburbs.

Houston is not any less safe than other large cities of similar size in America. And if you stick to "nice" areas your chances go down exponentially.

I wouldn't be surprised if Omaha is safer than most cities in Texas however.

I agree that Tyler would be a good place for you too if you want a place with a little more culture than the suburbs of Houston.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:50 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,063,544 times
Default Thanks

For the response. I just saw your post. You should be able to respond directly to me without issues. Maybe you can respond to this post back to me more easily? Yes, I would be able to help more, most likely, but if not, hopefully, I could refer you to someone who could help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySpringfield View Post
Hey Mark,

Thanks for your post! I bookmarked, Tyler, Texas to check it out.

I tried PM'ing you but City Data forums is being a bit weird about it. Would love to hear more from you.

Forgot to also include this (will include this at the top), currently debating either Texas, or Omaha, Nebraska, area.

My cousin who builds houses lives in the Dallas area, but honestly... I don't want to end up there either.

I'll be honest, I'm pretty conservative, so I'd rather not be wherever the Californian liberals are moving to in flocks right now. However, I did more research on Houston, and the murder rates are not too good either, so I'm feeling kind of weird about debating Texas overall. We'll see.

Curious about your thoughts guys, thanks.

Old 05-14-2022, 07:26 PM

363 posts, read 441,220 times
I loved when I lived in Clermont, then Groveland!!!!! It was wonderful there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: