Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 10:56 AM

2,624 posts, read 1,217,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirotek View Post
I realize that this will probably upset some people, but oh well. I have lived in several states and all of them have pros and cons but Texas is a perfect example of a state that displays everything that's wrong with America.

1. There is almost no public transit and everything is very spread out and only accessible by interstate (sometimes with a toll) on purpose. In DFW, you are usually 5-10mi from certain amenities.

2. Texas has almost no public land. Other states have a lot of state and county parks.

3. Most of the residential rental real estate is owned by a large corporation with headquarters in another state or even in another country. The last state I lived in was Maine and all of my landlords up there were local to the area and had a vested interest in the state because they were from there and lived there.

4. The people who run the state impose their myopic religious views on everything despite Texans wanting it to be another way.

5. Everyone claims that Texas is a "free" state but I feel far less free here than I did in a few other states I've lived in. Texas has almost as many laws on the books as California. A free state wouldn't try to ban abortion or wouldn't keep marijuana illegal or prevent people from buying alcohol on Sundays or after 9pm.

6. Most business in the state are tacky corporate chains in strip centers. Locally owned businesses are becoming a rarity. DFW is the most "corporate" feeling place I've ever lived.

7. The power grid was deregulated in order to make it better for the consumer but in reality all it did was allow corporations to make more profits. And currently our leaders refuse to do anything to fix it.
You could say many of these things about many places, even places that are radically different from Texas such as NYC.

The only one that wouldn't apply to NYC is point # 1. HOWEVER, the public transit there is miserable and dangerous. More and more people are refusing to take it if they can and the traffic has become the WORST in the country !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 12:08 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Greed exists in both political spectrums and is by no means limited to Republicans. Democrats have long used social issues to entice tax payers to serve them a pot of money to grift from while they pretend to be solving social issues they really have no ability to solve..
Here we go with the same old excuse of "Everybody does it"
What party has been in control of Texas politics for the last decades?

Old 05-25-2022, 12:27 PM

1,108 posts, read 528,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Just look West and you can see how politicians can only do one thing -take your money and waste it and not get a damn thing done -

What do you want more social programs? are you will ing to pay higher property taxes for it? Are you willing to have a huge increase in sales tax? Or how about a state income tax?

There is only so much money and at least the Republicans are not going after our income like those lefty commies in Calif!

Old 05-25-2022, 12:37 PM

11,801 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
What difference does it make? The majority of voters supported them, they didn't steal anything from Texas, this is what the majority of Texans want. I could make an equal argument for California, Illinois and Washington state. They also have bat$h!t policies but their voters supported them for several decades as well, are they less corrupt? Heck no. The length of time any particular party has controlled a state has no bearing on that. You may not agree with what Republican's push for, but that != more corruption than opposing forms of governments... and for the record, Texas was not always a red state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP45 View Post
They are going after your income. They’re just taking it after taxes for more taxes - while they eliminate the write for those same taxes.

If you were calm enough and smart enough to stop breaking things down to “my team” and “insult”, you’d start to realize they’re all playing you and that vast chunks are simply cronyism and backdoor contracts, wasted money on lawsuits and economic damage caused by faulty policy preying on the fears of people just like you.
I would have agreed with you in the past but that is largely what is happening today. It can't be broken down any further because this truly is a polarized matter and a control grab.

Old 05-25-2022, 06:11 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Yeah OP, the state sucks. So stay far away! LOL Spread the word. Tell all your friends.

Old 05-25-2022, 06:12 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
I agree,
Greed (republicans) rule in Texas and always put money over people
Best example of that is toll roads, which I bet anything that when they are built, taxpayers pay 90% of it.
Not true. Taxpayers pay nothing for toll roads, they are financed through bonds paid off by the tolls.

Old 05-26-2022, 06:15 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Yeah OP, the state sucks. So stay far away! LOL Spread the word. Tell all your friends.
This.
We are full anyway, so go away and stay away.

Old 05-26-2022, 07:43 AM

1,108 posts, read 528,740 times
Quote:
They are going after your income. They’re just taking it after taxes for more taxes - while they eliminate the write for those same taxes.

If you were calm enough and smart enough to stop breaking things down to “my team” and “insult”, you’d start to realize they’re all playing you and that vast chunks are simply cronyism and backdoor contracts, wasted money on lawsuits and economic damage caused by faulty policy preying on the fears of people just like you.
LOL try living in Cali then for a year and come back and tell me that i was wrong

Old 05-26-2022, 09:06 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Texas is a mixed bag. Would love to live in one of the major cities, in particular Houston, but the politics are quite abhorrent.

Old 05-26-2022, 06:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
I lived there for 10 years. You keep getting owned at every step.
Why don't you live there now, and how old were you when you lived there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas