Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 08:00 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times

Advertisements

Both my home state and my adoptive home state are basically each other in parallel universes. Ive said before and Ill say it again: Almost everything California and Texas do is either done to perfection or a giant **** up. There isnt a hell of a lot of in between.

Before the pandemic I would have told you Id take California's screwed up government to Texas' Bible thumping socially conservative form of government. However, now Im not so sure. The policies implemented during the later portions of the pandemic and the hypocrisy displayed by the yahoos out there was one for the books. Do I like the draconian, hard right, laws Texas would pass on abortion and LGBTQ rights if they could? No, I find them appalling. But I have no kids and probably never will. Abortion isnt something that will affect me. Even though I do support the right for women to choose and donate to Planned Parenthood, it isnt something Im ever going to have to deal with on a personal level. Same goes for the LGBTQ community. I simply try to be an advocate for the community here.

So which draconian garbage do you want? A state that wants to regulate you to death and stomp on civil liberties will not heading their own advise? Of the state that is almost too libertarian but tries to make laws based on a book of old fairy tales? Neither of these are good but since Covid, Ill honestly go with the later.

One of my best friends has the theory that the ideal situation is a blue city in a red state. His justification is that red states will keep the blue cities from over regulation and the blue cities will keep the state from trying to enforce moral garbage. In other words they simply smile, say they will do it but dont bother enforcing them. Marijuana is a good example of that.

My perfect situation is a left of center state government with a bit libertarianism. My ideal state government would be some place like Colorado or Minnesota, but alas they are cold and less diverse than I prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2022, 08:12 PM

863 posts, read 865,865 times
Didn't we already have this thread, with almost the exact same numbered bullet points?

There are 50 states each with their own way of doing things. Pick one of the other 49 if you don't like Texas.

Old 05-22-2022, 08:19 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Isn't this like the third time this OP has posted the same few bits under one guise or another?

Old 05-22-2022, 08:40 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

My perfect situation is a left of center state government with a bit libertarianism. My ideal state government would be some place like Colorado or Minnesota, but alas they are cold and less diverse than I prefer.
Agree. While Colorado and Minnesota have far from perfect governments, theirs look like angels compared to Texas and Cali. Also dislike those places for the same reason you described.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:26 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirotek View Post
But when it comes to marijuana or abortion, suddenly the big government California mentality comes out.
If one believes abortion is murder, which many republicans do, then it would make sense why they would want it illegal.

Does wanting murder to be illegal make one not support small government? Don't be silly.

Old 05-23-2022, 05:34 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
ERCOT reserve availability is weakening due to population increase faster than upgrades to power production and there is less and less in the way of leeway in the event there are maintenances. They need more power stations.. ..I'm sure there are plenty of legitimate reasons they can't just throw them up on the fly (costs, environmentalists, ect) To be fair though, on the opposing polar spectrum of the matter, California heavily relies on buying power from neighboring states especially during the warmer months...

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=46156

This pushes pricing through the roof. So on one side, you end up with a large bill through importing your lack of reserve capacity, on the other.. ..you end up with no power.
Deregulation is driving the lack of power plant construction. Without a guaranteed return, plants don't get built like they did when utilities received a statutory rate of return, which also meant we had reserve generating capacity. No company is going to build reserve capacity that doesn't generate a return on investment.

Old 05-23-2022, 06:48 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
If one believes abortion is murder, which many republicans do, then it would make sense why they would want it illegal.

Does wanting murder to be illegal make one not support small government? Don't be silly.
And those who (rightfully IMO) dont view abortion as murder, its big government and draconian.

Old 05-23-2022, 07:49 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,855,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
Didn't we already have this thread, with almost the exact same numbered bullet points?

There are 50 states each with their own way of doing things. Pick one of the other 49 if you don't like Texas.
Can't rep you again. Don't let the door hit the OP's backside on the way out.

Old 05-23-2022, 07:49 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

Don't both Colorado and Minnesota have draconian alcohol laws? Minnesota still only allows 3.2% beer to be sold in certain places. Colorado legalized marijuana but also still had 3.2% beer laws.

Old 05-23-2022, 07:50 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Deregulation is driving the lack of power plant construction. Without a guaranteed return, plants don't get built like they did when utilities received a statutory rate of return, which also meant we had reserve generating capacity. No company is going to build reserve capacity that doesn't generate a return on investment.

How can you say this in the face of exceptional, and I mean literally exceptional, rates of utility scale PV solar installation over the last couple of years ranging into the next several? Deregulation has done that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas