Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 09:08 PM

24 posts, read 62,556 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our early sixties and currently rent an apartment in Houston. We are thinking about buying a home near the lake in Livingston, but I've read there is a huge meth problem there (in Livingston proper). Can anyone tell me if this is true? We certainly don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fryer!

One of the main reasons we want to leave Houston is due to the crime. We would like to live somewhere peaceful and affordable where we can see the stars at night from our porch sans the fear of being robbed and/or shot. I reckon that's hard to find these days no matter where you go, but it looks like Livingston may be better than other options.

I would greatly appreciate any input from people who live there or recently have.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 11:48 PM

92 posts, read 111,885 times
According to the LEO's that were my clients before I retired, there are a *lot* of places in East Texas that have a meth problem. If you want to escape that sort of thing, you should be looking at the Hill Country and the lakes found therein. No, you won't escape crime completely there, but it will be a lot better than East TX. Look at the area between Hwy 281 and 83.

We moved away from East TX last year, and settled in S.E. AZ. Vastly better weather, so we sit out on our porch every night and watch the stars, which is easy since it is a low-light area which means no streetlights. No gnats or mosquitos, no humidity, no crime. Just not a lot of lakes around. You should check it out......

Old 06-05-2022, 02:27 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
Almost no Meth in Smith County which is Tyler. Huge, I mean HUGE oak trees inside the city limits and scattered huge pines. Azaleas, dogwood trees, green lawns, yep, humidity, or Tyler would look like the movies portray, ALL of Texas as a barren flat desert.

Old 06-06-2022, 10:13 AM

1,952 posts, read 827,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Almost no Meth in Smith County which is Tyler. Huge, I mean HUGE oak trees inside the city limits and scattered huge pines. Azaleas, dogwood trees, green lawns, yep, humidity, or Tyler would look like the movies portray, ALL of Texas as a barren flat desert.

So....Kerrville is barren and flat? LOL

...get out the shovel.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:45 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Bring your checkbook for that land in the Hill Country. The Californians have discovered it and prices are $$$$.

The best way to avoid "meth areas" is to not live in an old manufactured house that's in a neighborhood of other old manufactured houses, or in a small, not well-kept house in a neighborhood of similar houses. Meth cookers don't usually buy $300k+ houses to ruin with their toxic chemicals. They prefer cheap manufactured houses, or small houses, without close neighbors. The chemicals have a very strong smell, which neighbors would notice. Go and actually look at the house and the surrounding area before you buy. If you see a bunch of run-down properties nearby, avoid it.

My husband and I live in a rural area, and we do not have any problem with meth heads. Our neighborhood is deed-restricted no mobile homes, and no raising of pigs/hogs. People in our neighborhood keep up their properties.

Old 06-08-2022, 03:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Bring your checkbook for that land in the Hill Country. The Californians have discovered it and prices are $$$$.....

Most of my immigrant neighbors have escaped from a career / lifetime in Houston, tho 20 - 30 % come from DFW or Waco. They had been impressed with summer camp in Hill Country, so they come to stay in retirement.
nice place to call home within 5 min (There are several others)
https://www.comanchetrace.com/?_vsre...BoC68MQAvD_BwE
5 minutes the other way... the alternative life...
https://www.kerrvillefolkfestival.or...hoCIjoQAvD_BwE

I have still been buying Hill Country props for under $50k when one pops up (as long as it has a view, paved road and is under 10 min to a decent town (and no meth neighbors, or yapping dogs)),
Been selling more than buying, since it is time to downsize, and prices are right to sell. Several friends bought some really nice river properties with acreage and spare homes for under $500k. Single family homes ~$300k

Tyler is not a bad choice, for those seeking east Texas (There are a lot of worse choices). Several friends lived / attended school in Longview, TX, it's ok too. as are several small towns nearby. Good friends swear Mineola, TX is the best... (of course)

Livingston is home to Escapees, would be worth asking those who live in the main site.
https://escapees.com/community/
https://escapeescare.org/

Old 06-08-2022, 05:14 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladan View Post
According to the LEO's that were my clients before I retired, there are a *lot* of places in East Texas that have a meth problem. If you want to escape that sort of thing, you should be looking at the Hill Country and the lakes found therein. No, you won't escape crime completely there, but it will be a lot better than East TX. Look at the area between Hwy 281 and 83.

We moved away from East TX last year, and settled in S.E. AZ. Vastly better weather, so we sit out on our porch every night and watch the stars, which is easy since it is a low-light area which means no streetlights. No gnats or mosquitos, no humidity, no crime. Just not a lot of lakes around. You should check it out......
There are def some meth heads around the hill country. Probably is better than east Tex though

Old 06-08-2022, 08:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
There are def some meth heads around the hill country. Probably is better than east Tex though
Our nea5rest neighbors (~age 65) arrived in HC (6yrs ago) after 40 yrs in east Texas (several spots, including Houston and Tyler). It would not be appropriate for me to disclose their very perceptive feelings on the difference of living in the two areas, but suffice to say for them, it is 'night and day', absolutely not comparable. But... everyone has perceptions and this couple is of very soud mind and quite engaged in their communities. I cannot pass judgement, but from their comments, I would proceed with due caution as I would on any area.

We always visit often, attend events as if we were living there, volunteer with community and non-profits to get to know people and leadership, spend a lot of time with educators, tax assessor / planning, and sheriff / law enforcement and librarians and historians. We also stay with local people who share our interests so as to get the straight scoop +/-.

Old 06-13-2022, 07:49 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreekgal View Post
My husband and I are in our early sixties and currently rent an apartment in Houston. We are thinking about buying a home near the lake in Livingston, but I've read there is a huge meth problem there (in Livingston proper). Can anyone tell me if this is true? We certainly don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fryer!

One of the main reasons we want to leave Houston is due to the crime. We would like to live somewhere peaceful and affordable where we can see the stars at night from our porch sans the fear of being robbed and/or shot. I reckon that's hard to find these days no matter where you go, but it looks like Livingston may be better than other options.

I would greatly appreciate any input from people who live there or recently have.
Thanks in advance!
I live east of Livingston about 30 miles. I like the lake especially if you are just going to sit on the porch and look at it. There are better fishin waters in East Texas.

My wife works at the hospital in Livingston. It's a good Level IV trauma center but that designation means it's limited. The little town along with Onalaska has enough decent shopping to get by. You'll have to get set in your mind that your living in a smallish rural town and you'll not have as many amenities. You are trading the hustle, bustle, and noise of the city for a more serene environment. Now your real concern . . . safety.

You are definitely more safe with lake living around Lake Livingston. You are not likely (as in it just don't happen) to get shot at a gas station or convenience store. I feel 100% safer anywhere in East Texas than I do in Houston (I'm going to the south side of H-town this Saturday . . . well armed and situationally aware). But there is crime EVERYWHERE. You'll not escape it. Most methheads are into theft/burglary type crimes. I'd not worry too much about that. Get a decent security system, a decent sized dog with a bit of aggressiveness and you'll NEVER have an issue. Punks and criminals generally are looking for soft targets

I never take the keys out of my vehicles, many nights sleep with doors and windows open and in 25 years (this go around) have never had an issue. I have 2 sixty pound dogs that bark (don't bite) and a driveway alarm only. And the means to protect my self and my loved ones.

Have you looked at Rayburn Country north of Jasper on a nicer lake Sam Rayburn? Or many of the subdivisions on Toledo Bend Lake out of Hemphill and Center, Texas? These are quieter still than many "lake" areas on Lake Livingston. One last thing . . . R U familiar with the East Texas redneck type people up here? They are not city folks (as I suspect you are). Rough around the edges but good folks nonetheless! People are a bit more friendly but I like some East Texas towns much better than Livingston.
I am not a native East Texan so I have a sorta outsider looking in perspective. I've lived all the way from the northern tier US (Maine and Michigan) to Tennessee and Florida. I like East Texas.

Feel free to DM me for specifics.

Old 06-13-2022, 09:47 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I am not a native East Texan so I have a sorta outsider looking in perspective. I've lived all the way from the northern tier US (Maine and Michigan) to Tennessee and Florida. I like East Texas.
In addition to spending lots of time in Houston, in past years I have lived in Huntington, Newton and Silsbee, so I ALWAYS enjoy reading your comments BobTex!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: