Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2022, 01:48 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times

Advertisements

Driving up Hwy 281 from McAllen this weekend I couldn't help notice how the Border Patrol checkpoint South of Falfurrias resembles the actual border crossings between Mexico and the US. The booths look very permanent similar to the one on IH35 up from Laredo and everyone seems to get stopped and questioned.

They seem to operate and stop cars 24/7 unlike the ones in CA like the IH5 from San Diego to LA and IH15 from San Diego to Las Vegas which are operating but rarely ever actually stop traffic.

Curious, are there any roads that lead from the border in Texas that avoid these BP Checkpoints? Seems like even the smaller roads up from the border have 24/7 checkpoints.

Do you think these BP checkpoints stunt border region growth?

Last edited by malcorub16; 08-15-2022 at 03:04 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2022, 02:11 PM

524 posts, read 1,369,475 times
Nope if it stunted border region growth, then the illegals wouldn't be pouring over by the hordes..Something that us border residents are used to, doesn't bother us ...as long as you are a US or naturalized citizens, have the correct papers..nothing to worry about...

Old 08-15-2022, 02:53 PM

15,413 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Driving up Hwy 281 from McAllen this weekend I couldn't help notice how the Border Patrol checkpoint South of Falfurrias resembles the actual border crossings between Mexico and the US. The booths look very permanent similar to the one on IH35 up from Laredo and everyone seems to get stopped and questioned.

They seem to operate 24/7 unlike the ones in CA like the IH5 from San Diego to LA and IH15 from San Diego to Las Vegas which are operating but rarely ever actually stop traffic.

Curious, are there any roads that lead from the border in Texas that avoid these BP Checkpoints? Seems like even the smaller roads up from the border have 24/7 checkpoints.

Do you think these BP checkpoints stunt border region growth?
Of course there are. Just Google: Routes to Avoid Border Patrol Checkpoints.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:56 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XChucoresident View Post
...as long as you are a US or naturalized citizens, have the correct papers..nothing to worry about...
What papers?
because I don't know a single person that can prove on the spot that they are American

Old 08-15-2022, 03:10 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Of course there are. Just Google: Routes to Avoid Border Patrol Checkpoints.
Believe it or not, Google doesn't know everything. Most small roads without checkpoints seem to lead to the main highways before the check points so it seems you can't avoid them. But I could be wrong, looking for someone in So. Texas or West Texas with personal experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XChucoresident View Post
Nope if it stunted border region growth, then the illegals wouldn't be pouring over by the hordes..Something that us border residents are used to, doesn't bother us ...as long as you are a US or naturalized citizens, have the correct papers..nothing to worry about...
Just because people are used to it, doesn't mean regional growth is not stunted. Most immigrants (legal and illegal) don't want to stay in the border region, most want to move North where they can make a better living. But you could be right, if these checkpoints didn't exist, the RGV, Laredo and El Paso might be just the same.

Old 08-15-2022, 03:11 PM

61,655 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What papers?
because I don't know a single person that can prove on the spot that they are American
What about US passport or Certificate of Naturalization document?
That's what I was going to use to cross the border while my passport was out for renewal.

Old 08-15-2022, 03:22 PM

In this 100-mile zone, Border Patrol agents have certain additional authorities. For instance, Border Patrol can operate immigration checkpoints. Border Patrol, nevertheless, cannot pull anyone over without "reasonable suspicion" of an immigration violation or crime (reasonable suspicion is more than just a "hunch").

Is there any routes to avoid all the checkpoints leaving El Paso, Tx going to Dallas,Tx? No matter which road you take, when you get 20 miles away from a border crossing, there will be a Border Patrol checkpoint. These are usually very quick unless you have drugs or illegal aliens in your vehicle.

Border Patrol may board buses and trains to question individuals about their citizenship. Other than at ports of entry, agents boarding buses and trains may not search or even pat down luggage without consent or probable cause. Refusing a search does not give agents probable cause for a search.

https://www.aclu.org/other/constitut...le-border-zone

Old 08-15-2022, 03:25 PM

15,413 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Believe it or not, Google doesn't know everything. Most small roads without checkpoints seem to lead to the main highways before the check points so it seems you can't avoid them. But I could be wrong, looking for someone in So. Texas or West Texas with personal experience.
Of course Google knows. This isn't rocket science. It's really not complicated.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:35 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
What about US passport or Certificate of Naturalization document?
That's what I was going to use to cross the border while my passport was out for renewal.
Ok, what are we going to do to people that don’t have a passport or certificate of naturalization on them?
Because I bet 99% of Americans don’t have those documents with them

Old 08-15-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Ok, what are we going to do to people that don’t have a passport or certificate of naturalization on them?
Because I bet 99% of Americans don’t have those documents with them
I am assuming that people who are planning to cross the border should have some legal ID with them.
I guess, they still could be checked in the database.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas