Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2022, 08:33 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
I dont and hope he sends more buses every day to chicago, portland, seattle, dc and ny.
What’s the point of spending tax dollars busing them around the country?
He’s just doing them a favor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 12:28 AM

11,776 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I moved here from Chicago and dislike Illinois only slightly more than Texas.

Illinois is a dying state run by corrupt politicians who want to tax everything but at least you have more personal freedoms like buying alcohol after 9pm on Sundays, buying cannabis, and freedom over your own body.

Texas doesn't have as many nickel & dime taxes like IL, but there are still plenty of ways they tax you here. The toll roads in DFW are one of those things. The people who run the state are bought and paid off by the mega corporations and try to pander to the evangelicals which in my opinion is the worst combination.

I think I'd much rather live in a state like Montana, Vermont, or Maine but I just can't deal with those winters.
I have mixed feelings on Toll Roads in the aspect that it does seem like more of them could have been free roads if tax money was not mis-used, however; Toll Roads are the future because we don’t collect enough gas tax on a federal level to build roads as fast as they’re needed. There won’t be any new free highways in major cities outside of expanding existing roadways. If it weren’t for the toll roads. DFW would not have roads like DNT, PGBT, SRBT, ect that makes commuting easier. It would be more like Atlanta which has no freeways in areas where they are vastly needed. Those roads simply wouldn’t exist. You’re not being ‘taxed’ on that road. You’re paying to utilize it. Chicago also has a lot of toll roads and they’re in worse condition with the weather effects constantly make it necessary to resurface them… and generally they’re a bit pricier to utilize too.

Old 09-01-2022, 12:57 AM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
LOL! All your talk about using non-partisan sites - just a sham - like "yahoo is trash". USA Today is trash! Besides that it was an opinion piece written by Jessica Smith of Alliance Defending Freedom - an anti-LBGQT hate group! Another member of ADF is Amy Coney Bryant, Josh Hawley, and Bill Barr - all super-conservative, religious nuts! They bring lawsuits constantly to oppose gay marriage, and want to criminalize non-traditional unions! Congrats! Superconservative and anti-LGBQT! And Karl Zinsmeister, another superconservative is defending ADF - and their policies! LOL: "You should also check the legitimacy of your own sources before so brashly accusing another"

https://bridge.georgetown.edu/resear...n-studies-cis/
With links to evidence about the hate group CIS! But I know you won't bother!

Please send more evidence of how SPLC is a hate group from more anti-LBGTQ, anti-semitic, white nationalists that you like to quote! LOL!

NPR is saying how SPLC is improving.
https://twitter.com/brianbeutler/sta...during-riot%2F

Barrett, not Bryant.

There was a long ago 'anti-LGBT' entertainer named Anita Bryant.

Old 09-01-2022, 07:41 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
So you are happy that these couple owners are cheating by not paying fed and ss taxes? let me know how that works when you are on ss in a few years. Why not turn the cheating holes in like a good law abiding citizen? Or PM me there names and address and i will!
I won’t be on social security for about 40 years and by then the money will be long gone.

Old 09-01-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What’s the point of spending tax dollars busing them around the country?
He’s just doing them a favor
The point of putting them in (liberal) cities is because they are the ones that want to keep the borders open.

Also we won’t have to spend future tax dollars helping them. It would be nice if these “sanctuary cities” would pick up the tab… but you can’t expect them to be consistent I guess. Now they are complaining about illegals coming there.

Old 09-01-2022, 08:58 AM

Toll roads are not a tax. You don’t pay them unless you use them. There are roads you can use without paying the toll fee. This is much better than sales, property, and income taxes where you don’t have a choice.

I get wanting to move to Montana, other than the weather. Maybe Arizona and New Mexico would be a good choice for you @lepoison

Old 09-01-2022, 11:05 AM

573 posts, read 335,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
The point of putting them in (liberal) cities is because they are the ones that want to keep the borders open.

Also we won’t have to spend future tax dollars helping them. It would be nice if these “sanctuary cities” would pick up the tab… but you can’t expect them to be consistent I guess. Now they are complaining about illegals coming there.
You already pay no matter where you live in the US. The federal govt spends some of it, so that's your federal tax dollars at work directly. And then federal govt also grants states federal tax dollars to spend on immigrants.

States actually pay a lot less on immigrants than the federal govts. So maybe it's making other states spend a little bit more, but that may end up with Biden sending more federal money to those states, and less to TX, as those other states may need it more. I don't know the inner workings on how money is allocated to the states.

And the federal govt already spends money to send immigrants, typically children who did not come with parents, to various states depending on the children's nearest US relative or potential guardians in states like NY, Penn, Florida, etc. Conspiracy theorists call these "ghost flights" and rage that its some sinister plot by Biden to replace white people. But it's actually been done during both the Obama and Trump administrations also. But again, the usual misinformation conspiracy theorists spreaders need to rage because one admin did, but forget their dear leader also did it.

Last edited by Pilsn3r; 09-01-2022 at 11:28 AM..

Old 09-01-2022, 11:12 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Toll roads are not a tax. You don’t pay them unless you use them. There are roads you can use without paying the toll fee. This is much better than sales, property, and income taxes where you don’t have a choice.

I get wanting to move to Montana, other than the weather. Maybe Arizona and New Mexico would be a good choice for you @lepoison
This is not always true. If the project was financed as a P3 (Public-Private Partnership), taxpayers foot some of the bill regardless of whether or not they actually drive on it. There are a plethora of managed lanes/toll roads in Texas that were financed this way.

Old 09-01-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
My entire life, we've had unemployed/underemployed US citizens (and usually more than we do now), so I'm not sure immigrants affect this much. What is the national unemployment rate, like 3%?

Seems to me like there's more jobs than people to do them. I could understand this sentiment if we were in a recession with high unemployment, but I don't understand this stance in a strong economy.
3.5%

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/u...35-2022-08-05/

Last time it was this low was in 1969.

Old 09-01-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Barrett, not Bryant.

There was a long ago 'anti-LGBT' entertainer named Anita Bryant.
Thank you! Maybe an auto-correct or I got the B-names mixed up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas