Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 10:18 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
“enemies”?

My husband and I are the only two “liberals” from our respective families. All his siblings (and their husbands) and mine are all Republicans, who are fiscally conservatives but still somewhat socially tolerant. Except one, who’s filthy rich but thinks anyone applied for government financial aids/assistance must be lazy/grifter/unintelligent and black peoples bring down the real estate value….etc. We don’t always see eye to eye but I still see them as fundamentally good people. (perhaps a tad prejudiced and bigoted but nevertheless good people.)

I don’t hate Republicans. I’m sure in my Houston area some of my neighbors are bona fide Republicans but we get along well and we all mind our own business. As long as you don’t try to recruit me to your church, don’t chide me for having zero interest in the Bible and not ridicule my belief that all races were born equal and that I happen to think that because we were born privileged we can help other fellow humans a bit (or at least have some compassion to put yourself in their shoes.) I’m peacefully co-existing with people on the other end of political spectrum.

I only judge the very far-right, MAGA-spewing, Trump/DeSantis/Abbott worshipping extremists that have been severely dividing the country in the past decade. I survived the 2011 9/11 attack while living in downtown Manhattan, I remember vividly the comradery and the patriotism all around the city and how Giuliani was hailed as a hero (he did do a good job to be fair. See how far he had fallen.) while the rest of the world hated us. When the far-right, not-even-trying-to-hide “politicians” today made George W. Bush looked like a gentleman, you know we really have big problems on hand.

I always chuckled when some MAGA people reminisced the “gold old days” like “back in the day” in the ‘50s and ‘60s, hey for your information your most “All-American” beloved TV Dad aka Mike Brady was gay in real life, the kind that was not approved by your Bible, how’s that for irony?!
You are wrong, I am not into church.
But I don't like gays.
A couple of months ago I saw gays in my area for a first time and it was disgusting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 10:33 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
You are wrong, I am not into church.
But I don't like gays.
A couple of months ago I saw gays in my area for a first time and it was disgusting
And Im sure youll be on the next cover of Men's Health.

If you come across a gay person simply ignore them. Its not hard. Like all the people who pass by you every day and resist the urge to be disgusted. If they can do it, you can.

Old 06-29-2022, 10:55 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Politics is stupid. It doesn't matter which extreme side is being cheered for. Thankfully we have the middle area of sanity, balance, and stability, and the largest cities of Texas are purple.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:31 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Time to establish filtration camps and separate people by their political views. Liberals should not be admitted to conservative states and vice versa. This will be better for the people in a long run. More difficult is to do relocations of wrong people who are already in wrong states. To some extent, self-organization is going to work, even as this thread shows, but it's not an easy process.
I like that ... but it should be done by county.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:37 AM

1,029 posts, read 561,806 times
^^isn’t Texas Triangle taking up more than 70% of the total population? In another word, not a lot of people in the red area?

Last edited by achtung baby; 06-29-2022 at 12:10 PM..

Old 06-29-2022, 12:34 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,043,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
It don't make sense to me why the politicickers could not find a good middle ground for compromise, but the extremes on both sides don't want to give an inch. They insist on having everything "their way". It's more important they get "their way" than what's best for the country.

The far left Democrats think it's ok for a woman 9 months pregnant to have an abortion and the far right Republicans thinks no woman should be allowed to have an abortion even if she's 1 minute pregnant. Both are ridiculously unreasonble solutions.

Seems to me the obvious middle ground solution, if a fetus/baby CAN survive outside the mother's body, EVEN IF it takes an incubator to keep the fetus/baby alive, that fetus/baby SHOULD NOT BE allowed to be aborted. However, if the fetus/baby CANNOT survive outside the mother's body, then it SHOULD BE the woman's choice to abort or not. It's her body, her choice and nobody else's bidness but her and her doctor, and at that point the government needs to stay out of it.

As long as the extremes are in control of the Democrat and the Repubican Party, there always gonna be extreme chaos and insanity happening in this country.
This has always been my view on the matter. If the fetus can survive outside the womb, it's viable life and shouldn't be aborted. If it can't, its not viable and the mother's choice takes precedent. Simple. People that insist upon abortions nearly to the point of birth are dead wrong imo, as are the people that are "its life at the point of pregnancy and an abortion is murder". Just the epitome of stupid. Are you killing baby chickens each time you eat an egg too?

The entire idea of invoking states rights for something that's so critically important to child-bearing women is, frankly, unconscionable to me.

Old 06-29-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
“enemies”?

My husband and I are the only two “liberals” from our respective families. All his siblings (and their husbands) and mine are all Republicans, who are fiscally conservatives but still somewhat socially tolerant. Except one, who’s filthy rich but thinks anyone applied for government financial aids/assistance must be lazy/grifter/unintelligent and black peoples bring down the real estate value….etc. We don’t always see eye to eye but I still see them as fundamentally good people. (perhaps a tad prejudiced and bigoted but nevertheless good people.)

I don’t hate Republicans. I’m sure in my Houston area some of my neighbors are bona fide Republicans but we get along well and we all mind our own business. As long as you don’t try to recruit me to your church, don’t chide me for having zero interest in the Bible and not ridicule my belief that all races were born equal and that I happen to think that because we were born privileged we can help other fellow humans a bit (or at least have some compassion to put yourself in their shoes.) I’m peacefully co-existing with people on the other end of political spectrum.

I only judge the very far-right, MAGA-spewing, Trump/DeSantis/Abbott worshipping extremists that have been severely dividing the country in the past decade. I survived the 2001 9/11 attack while living in downtown Manhattan, I remember vividly the comradery and the patriotism all around the city and how Giuliani was hailed as a hero (he did do a good job to be fair. See how far he had fallen.) while the rest of the world hated us. When the far-right, not-even-trying-to-hide “politicians” today made George W. Bush looked like a gentleman, you know we really have big problems on hand.

I always chuckled when some MAGA people reminisced the “gold old days” like “back in the day” in the ‘50s and ‘60s, hey for your information your most “All-American” beloved TV Dad aka Mike Brady was gay in real life, the kind that was not approved by your Bible, how’s that for irony?!
This is a great post, especially the bolded. I don't have any beef with Republicans and have voted that way on occasion. I dislike both the far left and the far right and wish they would create their own fascist party because they have *far* more in common with each other than they do with the rest of us. You know who else would agree with Ghost Town's intolerant Constitution-busting propositions to sort people into states based on their political agendas? Equally intolerant far left types that agree with that premise.

Those two groups need to have their own two or three states to fight it out amongst themselves and leave the rest of us who actually get along with folks that aren't like ourselves alone. They're the real problem with this country and keeping progress from actually happening on a broad scale. Maybe the far left will win and they can have their bankrupt liberal utopia or the far right will win and they can have their corrupt theocracy. That's the only kind of sorting I want to see because if we're being honest most Democrats and Republicans are a credit to this country. Its just the ones from both parties that want to force their way of life on the rest of us that frankly could disappear today and we'd all be better off.

Old 06-29-2022, 04:22 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
This is a great post, especially the bolded. I don't have any beef with Republicans and have voted that way on occasion. I dislike both the far left and the far right and wish they would create their own fascist party because they have *far* more in common with each other than they do with the rest of us. You know who else would agree with Ghost Town's intolerant Constitution-busting propositions to sort people into states based on their political agendas? Equally intolerant far left types that agree with that premise.

Those two groups need to have their own two or three states to fight it out amongst themselves and leave the rest of us who actually get along with folks that aren't like ourselves alone. They're the real problem with this country and keeping progress from actually happening on a broad scale. Maybe the far left will win and they can have their bankrupt liberal utopia or the far right will win and they can have their corrupt theocracy. That's the only kind of sorting I want to see because if we're being honest most Democrats and Republicans are a credit to this country. Its just the ones from both parties that want to force their way of life on the rest of us that frankly could disappear today and we'd all be better off.
Haha, I like your post.
However, all liberal agenda now is dominated by far left. Overall I am okay with centrist democrats, but they don't have much power right now. All liberal votes work for the radical left these days. Far right is only in the news, they don't have real political weight.

Old 06-29-2022, 04:57 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
I find myself a fiscal conservative and more moderate in social issues ( for gay rights and abortions in rape, incest and not for casual birth control) Daughter was born 2 1/2 lbs. 35 years ago at 28 weeks. She was top 2% of her HS class and got a M.A. from a well-known university on a fellowship. Therefore, I am appalled at NM and their abortions up to 9 months!!

I am registered as a DEM here in TX but vote GOP in the general primarily because I live in a red county and Dems control local power. The GOP reflects my views more than the national DEM party.

As far as Trump, " the enemy of my enemy is my friend."

Old 06-29-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Haha, I like your post.
However, all liberal agenda now is dominated by far left. Overall I am okay with centrist democrats, but they don't have much power right now. All liberal votes work for the radical left these days. Far right is only in the news, they don't have real political weight.
Oh the far right has plenty of political weight, it just doesn't get honest reporting from anyone in the media. Right-leaning media doesn't want to talk about it, and left-leaning media can't report on it without sensationalism, so they don't always get taken seriously even when they do discuss it. White nationalist groups have been the ones pushing the abortion and immigration issues from the shadows for decades and were the puppeteers for a lot of the political machinations over the last five or six years that have resulted in the pushback against things like abortion and illegal immigration that change the demographics. They have been trying to get like-minded people into prominent political positions to change these policies to be explicitly more friendly to white Americans because their number 1 goal is slowing and ideally reversing the demographic changes to this country. The plummeting birthrate among white women and changing culture of the last couple of decades has made that push more urgent, and they have started to have more success in recent years. Think about the position that someone like Steve Bannon had in the Trump Administration - folks with views like that have become much more prominent and influential in politics in recent years.

That segment of the party has grown and gotten far more influential as a whole and now we're starting to see the results of it. I'm not saying the government is full of white nationalists, but there's no doubt that there are plenty in policy-making positions and influencing the policies Republicans come up with. Look at the Texas GOP convention where they openly talk about overturning the Voting Rights Act. The evidence is there. These far-right types may are not as in-your-face as the far left burn-it-all-down-and-spend-all-the-money types that absolutely do have influence with the Democrats, but I have no doubt they have just as much influence on the Republican side.

That is and continues to be the issue with the two-party system - no matter who you choose you have to hold the L's that the extremes invariably serve up to each party as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas