Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,966 times

Advertisements

I didn’t get to read all the posts but I’m just going to share my experience with Abilene. The only place worse that I’ve lived was LA California. So if that says anything… I don’t wanna actively bash Abilene but I’m gonna give an honest account.

We had a move here for work and we will be here for a few more years. The first eight months were tolerable but then it wasn’t really feasible to keep ignoring the reality. I worked for a man who grew up in Abilene and he said, “If you wanted to make a life, you really needed to leave Abilene and those that brag are in denial.”

There are some nice neighborhoods in Wylie but really the average person is not doing great. Right now the cost-of-living is exorbitant, and some of it is the market factors that everyone is experiencing and some of it is just because of our lack of inventory. The cost of living is actually pretty exorbitant and the property tax rates are second most expensive (next to New Jersey that I have seen and all of my various moving).

Yes there has been some growth but not nearly enough. For the expansion of the base, this city needs exponentially more services and food and beverage options. If you ever try to go to the few places with decent food like Roadhouse, you will wait forever. Another example is trying to get out of Academy. Grocery shopping is a nightmare.

As for crime and opportunities, a young person in Abilene really doesn’t have much going for them. Some people argue but really most of the jobs that are offered here are $10 an hour job’s. This is not substantial For a meaningful future. There are some decent jobs out there but that is not going to be for the average person. For example doctors here will have a great life. Surprisingly the hospital does offer a lot for the size of this city. But again, look at the waiting room in the offices and you will see how stretched thin we are.

We have a huge crime problem. The last statistics I read, rated Abilene is one of the top seven most dangerous cities in Texas, next to Laredo and we are less than 150,000! That is huge. My husband had a knife put on him in the Ross parking lot when he was with his son. So I am speaking from personal experience. We also have random people always coming to the house trying to get money. We cannot leave our garage open.

Furthermore if you explore around ACU and the hospital, it is apalling how dilapidated and dangerous those surrounding neighborhoods are. One day when I was going to the hospital, I noticed a man sleeping on an abandoned porch. This is a normal sight. Drugs are big because there’s not really a future for the locals. Not everyone can get a job on the base or have the credentials to work at First Financial corporate.

I think a lot of it has to do with the heavy religious influence. Don’t get me wrong I am conservative and I do want religion to be protected, but it is concerning to see how much it is integrated into the healthcare system and the public school school system. I have seen firsthand teachers teaching religion in the public school system. And because I respect the constitution this is not ethical.

But at one point Abilene had the highest teenage pregnancy rate and the most concentrated church rate in Texas. When you do not value education and progress, you will become stagnant. Outside of Abilene, even next to Elmwood, there is trash everywhere. The city has started to try and pick it up due to a negative article. But it is ridiculous how much trash has been sitting next to highways in in public view, like next to the H-E-B. Again we need way more grocery stores.

I am finally relocating to Lubbock, which is also small. But they have a completely different approach to maintaining their city and seem to have pride. They are religious too but they also have a big university. I think that influences the city to care about what it looks like. You do not see the same rate of trash, even next to the highways. The alleyways are kept nicer too.

I invested in the city has an entrepreneur, and I was deeply disappointed and I’m leaving. I know that there are many other developers and investors that don’t see any promise. It doesn’t mean that Abilene doesn’t have potential and won’t grow. It’s just so far behind the curve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 02:21 PM

1,952 posts, read 828,379 times
Lubbock is WAY better than Abilene.

I lived in Lubbock and graduated from college there.

I would move back to Lubbock if I could....no humidity and way less traffic and congestion.

Old 07-25-2022, 03:18 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times
I've spent time in both - grandparents lived in Abilene and I went to Tech in Lubbock - really didn't find them all that different and the work prospects away from TTU weren't great. I'm not sure I know anyone that graduated and stayed for more than a year or two. TTU was pretty great -I'll sing it's praises all day - but Lubbock? It's better than Amarillo - I'll give it that. The influx of student money from the east side of Texas probably does mean it looks nicer in some places than Abilene.

Old 07-25-2022, 03:19 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Every city in Texas has a lack of inventory of homes for sale, and high property taxes. Every semi-rural town also does not have enough grocery stores, or hospitals to serve the extended area population. Drugs are also very common all over Texas. You will find the same issues in Lubbock.

As for crime, Lubbock is the #3 most dangerous city in Texas. Abilene doesn't even make the list.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...ities-in-texas

Old 07-25-2022, 07:23 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
I think I would rather live in Amarillo and Abilene than Lubbock.

Also, I am calling bs on Laredo and Abilene being ranked #6 and #7 for crime. Maybe if you are only talking about cities... Both are way safer than Dallas or Houston or even San Antonio.

Not sure what field you work in but there seem to be a decent amount of jobs in Abilene on indeed. If you don't have any useful skills Lubbock won't be any better, or any city for that matter. There are tons of nice houses under $200k. Of course the pay is going to be lower than in the big cities. You will never find a nice house that cheap in big cities.

Old 07-30-2022, 10:27 AM

5 posts, read 7,136 times
Default Sign O' The Times.

It's like this everywhere.

I have been trying to find affordable housing in a small town just to find the housing game is out of control. American greed destroying American lives.

Old 07-30-2022, 11:52 AM

3,456 posts, read 2,781,479 times
Abilene Abilene
Prettiest town that I’ve ever seen

Old 07-30-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITNinja View Post
It's like this everywhere.

I have been trying to find affordable housing in a small town just to find the housing game is out of control. American greed destroying American lives.
Abilene isn't a small town.

What area of Texas are you looking into? I can possibly help. Small towns have much cheaper housing than cities do.

Old 07-30-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Abilene Abilene
Prettiest town that I’ve ever seen
Supposedly it's about Abilene, Kansas. Great song though. Wish it was about our Abilene.

Old 07-30-2022, 01:07 PM

3,456 posts, read 2,781,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Supposedly it's about Abilene, Kansas. Great song though. Wish it was about our Abilene.
Do people in Abilene, Texas treat you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas