Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2022, 08:39 AM

53 posts, read 77,258 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

We are working on plans for a new home. The wife and I have been going back and forth on adding an extra bedroom to the floorplan or just putting up an accessory building (pool house with bathroom) and just putting an air mattress in there when we have guests.
I remember overhearing someone at party years back that it's possible to sneak past taxes if it's just basically a pool bathroom and changing area. Does anyone know if this is true? This is wise county FYI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 10:33 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
IMO, a detached poolhouse (bathroom, shower, etc) that can double as bedroom, with a small sitting area, maybe a microwave, would be far more valuable than an extra bedroom, and I think most guests would really appreciate it.

Not sure about the taxes.

Old 08-16-2022, 12:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Always get to know your assessor (anonymously) very well BEFORE building your home.

Don't use your real name or address, but know your address zoning / specific taxing district within the county + any urban boundaries.

Since this is Texas, you have 254 different counties and answers (interpretations) will vary, even within your Assessor's office.

Rewrite the "Low Tax House" booklet for your county, once you figure it out. (Last printed from Vermont in 1980's AFAIK) I do a lot of 'low-tax' planning when building. One of my areas offers a huge tax incentive to build an ADA compatible home. No problem, I may need that myself some day!, Can be great for resale.

Of course, if you have an HOA, they will have plenty to say about your plans.

BTW: I became a caregiver for a disabled parent the day I turned 18 (and for next 30+ yrs), so I have multiple living spaces at all my homes, and each time I build, I specifically design for an ADU (in spite of the county or HOA), but within their published guidelines. There are many good reasons to have an ADU (or the benefit of converting a space to an ADU). Family in AL have a very nice pool house which is used as ADU for and unexpectedly disabled parent. My Texas homes have cabins, bunkhouses, shops with apartments, apartments within home, + all have RV sites with full hookups (for traveling friends, or others who might desire a nice quiet rural place with a good view).

Old 08-16-2022, 01:17 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
I’ve learned that my attics are not taxed square footage.
If I was in your place, I would make sure that I’d built as an attic that later you can easily change to an usable room.
That will save you a lot of money in taxes,

Let’s say that that attic is 20x20 = 400sq.ft.
Houses are around $120/sq.ft. And property taxes around 2.5%.

That extra 400sq.ft. Will cost you $1200/year in property taxes.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:05 AM

864 posts, read 867,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I’ve learned that my attics are not taxed square footage.
If I was in your place, I would make sure that I’d built as an attic that later you can easily change to an usable room.
That will save you a lot of money in taxes,

That extra 400sq.ft. Will cost you $1200/year in property taxes.
Woohoo!!! $1200 a year. Better than the lottery. If you pull the proper permits CAD will know about it. If not, you take your chances down the road.

If it's climate controlled space then it would be taxable living area. If not, then you escape the taxes but your guests will hate you.

As much as you are going to spend on this project the taxes are irrelevant. Do whatever you will use more and be happier with. You will also get your money back when you sell if the improvement is desirable for your area.

If you do go with a pool house, make sure to build the pool at the same time to avoid unnecessary headaches and expense later.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:32 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
Woohoo!!! $1200 a year. Better than the lottery.
Not everybody is rich like you,
That's $100/month, a big chunk of money for a lot of people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: