Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 07:58 AM

11,666 posts, read 7,803,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
For me it's the open space near highways and not seeing anything from the highways. It's just underpasses, overpasses, and empty grass fields. And most of the shopping centers are right off the highway, so it feels like you never really get to see most parts of the city/town.

This is an example of what I'm talking about: https://goo.gl/maps/AJC4rrDfxosiyNQF6

A big wall on one side and trees on the other. All of the guests I bring here always comment on how bland it is.

Isn't the DFW airport ground actually bigger than all of Manhattan? That gives you an example of how spread out this area is.

In Chicago there are houses built right on the edge of the highway and you can see the skyline from far away. Much better scenery, IMO. https://goo.gl/maps/a3m2V8NhtCzpRrLL6
Reason it is like that is because Dan Ryan as well as most urban Chicago expressways were built right through existing neighborhoods and projects where a lot of DFW freeways were built through land that was undeveloped that the time of their conception. I-30 used to be nothingness between Dallas and FortWorth. Chicago has been a more populated city for a longer time than DFW has been. My father used to live right by Dan Ryan when they were building it. They had to tear down a lot of homes to build it. Another thing is the area you posted is right by a water way which is undevelopable land (just so happens to be right behind those trees). Texas however does tend to put a lot of its commercial activity right off the freeway / access roads for ease of access and business generating revenue where Illinois puts the same development along large arterial streets. I personally prefer the non-Texan approach in that regard.

As for the downtown area being visible, Texas is a bit hillier than Illinois (surprise surprise) so it’s no surprise that you can’t see Downtown from afar. Add onto of the fact that Dallas has building height restrictions (Love Field) and Chicago’s skyline generally is much taller and larger.

There are a few ‘Chicago-Like’ expressways in TX. DNT between Downtown and I-635 where it’s carved right though University Park using the alignment of an older railway and you have homes lined up against the highway. You also get businesses lined up against the highway on U.S.75 and DNT between I-635 and SRBT which reminds me of certain suburban IL highways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2022, 11:39 AM

4,232 posts, read 2,426,336 times
Quote:
For me it's the open space near highways and not seeing anything from the highways. It's just underpasses, overpasses, and empty grass fields. And most of the shopping centers are right off the highway, so it feels like you never really get to see most parts of the city/town.

This is an example of what I'm talking about: https://goo.gl/maps/AJC4rrDfxosiyNQF6

A big wall on one side and trees on the other. All of the guests I bring here always comment on how bland it is.

Isn't the DFW airport ground actually bigger than all of Manhattan? That gives you an example of how spread out this area is.

In Chicago there are houses built right on the edge of the highway and you can see the skyline from far away. Much better scenery, IMO. https://goo.gl/maps/a3m2V8NhtCzpRrLL6
I guess you never drive down Central Expressway or the tollroad? Hawn Freeway? LBJ?

Maybe you need to get off 190 in Plano and explore the rest of the city.

Old 09-03-2022, 07:29 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,640,827 times
I'm in Los Angeles right now and just about everything costs more here. Food/restaurants, parking, gas, you name it. Now I see why they keep wanting to move to Texas.

But back to the highway thing... this entire area is far more dense than anything in the DFW area. Immediately after leaving the terminal at LAX, you see nothing but buildings, roads, cars, and a ton of traffic. You feel like you are in a big city or huge metropolis but when you land at DFW it feels like an airport plopped in the middle of an empty field.

Even driving in a place like Long Beach that's 25-30mi outside of downtown LA, it feels far more urban than anything in DFW that's 25-30mi outside of downtown Dallas.

Old 09-05-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I'm in Los Angeles right now and just about everything costs more here. Food/restaurants, parking, gas, you name it. Now I see why they keep wanting to move to Texas.

But back to the highway thing... this entire area is far more dense than anything in the DFW area. Immediately after leaving the terminal at LAX, you see nothing but buildings, roads, cars, and a ton of traffic. You feel like you are in a big city or huge metropolis but when you land at DFW it feels like an airport plopped in the middle of an empty field.

Even driving in a place like Long Beach that's 25-30mi outside of downtown LA, it feels far more urban than anything in DFW that's 25-30mi outside of downtown Dallas.
I don't doubt that. I've been to LA as well, its tremendous and intimidating, but LA is also a much larger metro with over double the population and less room to build out on a per-capita level due to geographical barriers as well though thus its forced to infill. The high density makes roads very congested and they don't have near the transit to supply their population, although they're trying to fix that. Most infill and high density does not happen unless people are forced to do so, which is why you see coastal cities or cities near mountains as very dense but not very spread out (unless they're plainly enormous) .. and cities in the plains or more forgiving terrain being very spread out sprawly. Most people, despite the conscience on city-data.. ..prefer low density living.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 09-05-2022 at 11:07 AM..

Old 09-06-2022, 11:10 AM

12,864 posts, read 13,166,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I don't doubt that. I've been to LA as well, its tremendous and intimidating, but LA is also a much larger metro with over double the population and less room to build out on a per-capita level due to geographical barriers as well though thus its forced to infill. The high density makes roads very congested and they don't have near the transit to supply their population, although they're trying to fix that. Most infill and high density does not happen unless people are forced to do so, which is why you see coastal cities or cities near mountains as very dense but not very spread out (unless they're plainly enormous) .. and cities in the plains or more forgiving terrain being very spread out sprawly. Most people, despite the conscience on city-data.. ..prefer low density living.
You should read the posters on the Austin Skyscraper forum.
They think the population should be housed as dense as beehives, with no cars allowed in the city limits. Lol

Old 09-06-2022, 11:42 AM

4,679 posts, read 3,114,597 times
Quote:
Texas is not a low tax state, by any means. Our sales tax rate is slightly higher than average and there are some random taxes on things like online services (Netflix) that a lot of other states don't charge. Property taxes are out of control. The only saving grace is no income tax, but this really only benefits rich people.
What? It really only benefits low income folks that wouldn't get hurt by it because they might be under the exemption threshold if there was a state income tax... but families making $100k a year sure would feel something. And $100k doesn't equal 'rich' in Texas. In fact, it's probably a helluva lot closer to 'can barely afford to stay here' now than it was even just a couple years ago.

Old 09-06-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
You should read the posters on the Austin Skyscraper forum.
They think the population should be housed as dense as beehives, with no cars allowed in the city limits. Lol
Yeah. I don't mind density, I think it has its place, purpose and reasons.. ..but I am against making 'everything' as dense as possible thereby removing the freedom of preference of living choices.

Old 09-06-2022, 02:24 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,640,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
What? It really only benefits low income folks that wouldn't get hurt by it because they might be under the exemption threshold if there was a state income tax... but families making $100k a year sure would feel something. And $100k doesn't equal 'rich' in Texas. In fact, it's probably a helluva lot closer to 'can barely afford to stay here' now than it was even just a couple years ago.
If you are poor, you more than likely rent so property tax isn't a worry. In this case, the income tax hurts you more, assuming you make enough to not be exempt. Sales tax is the worst for poor people but doesn't affect rich people at all unless it's a large purchase.

Wealthy people who own a modest house living in Texas are far better off tax wise than they would be in other states that heavily tax high income earners.

For middle class people who make $70-100K a year, you would break even living in a state with income tax but lower property taxes. I have calculated my tax burden here in Texas compared to what it would be in a state like SC with low income tax and low property tax and it's about the same as my Texas tax burden.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:37 PM

1,108 posts, read 516,219 times
Humm poor dont worry about property taxes? So you think landlords just eat the cost and not include it in the rent because they are good guys?

Old 09-06-2022, 04:52 PM

It's largely subsidized if you're renting in an apartment complex. I mean, yeah - you're paying it.. ..but definitely not taking the full brunt of it as a home owner would.

If you're renting a house, it probably depends on the landlords situation and fair market value for rentals in the area as they typically have to be more affordable to justify vs buying and taking a mortgage. Property Tax actually makes it difficult to own multiple properties in TX which in a way acts as a barrier against investors who are not uber-rich and want to snag up as many properties as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas