Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 11:33 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
IMHO you're both using alot of energy. I have 4 PC's, 5 Freezers, 1 Server, a 72" Flatscreen that stays on 24x7, I don't turn some of my lights off at night, and my thermostat has been set at 71*F all summer and I still only used 1,845kWh last month.
Well, my house has 14 windows that face West and are clearly not energy efficient
And there’s no house or tree on our West side to give us shade.
I already installed 9 solar screens but if you have any other suggestions… go ahead.

And my thermostat is set to 76F during the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 05:15 PM

1,108 posts, read 528,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Well, my house has 14 windows that face West and are clearly not energy efficient
And there’s no house or tree on our West side to give us shade.
I already installed 9 solar screens but if you have any other suggestions… go ahead.

And my thermostat is set to 76F during the day.
Ceramic film will cut the transmission over 1/2. i just did it on my truck and car and made a huge difference - i am going to have the trailer done next

You could also consider hurricane shutters that are fixed at the top and can be pushed out at the bottom to eliminate direct sunlight.

For the long haul crape myrtles painted 6-10 feet away they grow real fast and drop the leaves in the fall.

Old 09-05-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
You can laugh at this bill
thats a great rate congrats. ours was .0915 last two years before the freeze.

Old 09-05-2022, 05:28 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Unfortunately I missed the part in my new contract about them charging a 3% fee for making a credit/debit or eCheck payment via the website but it's free if you pay via snail mail. Not sure how that even makes sense.

Overall this just seems very consumer unfriendly and another way for companies to squeeze a few dollars from consumers.
--------------------
why are they charging 3% for e check payment,ACH should be free.
As for credit card,yes,it has to pay % to process your credit card,and with debit card,a smaller %.
if you pay nothing,it means those who pay by check or cash is subsidizing your use of cards while you earn points on their back.
The company is Summer Energy. Stay far away from them.

They charge no fees for sending a check via snail mail or for physically mailing in the payment card with your credit card info hand written on it. But they charge a 3% fee for using the website. I'm not sure how that makes any sense because it's more work for them to process payments via mail. Someone physically has to run the card number.

Old 09-06-2022, 05:23 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Any of you who can should read this.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/c...-of-the-above/

_______

Basically deregulation has given us abundant, well priced and increasingly green power. Regulation has given CA. much more expensive, scarce and less reliable power.

Old 09-06-2022, 06:14 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Regulation has given CA. much more expensive, scarce and less reliable power.
https://taraenergy.com/blog/energy-d...hy-it-matters/

What’s an Example of a Deregulated Energy Market?
Texas is perhaps the best example of a deregulated energy market.
It was one of six states to first adopt deregulation in 1999, along with California, Rhode Island, New York, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts.

Old 09-06-2022, 06:49 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
https://taraenergy.com/blog/energy-d...hy-it-matters/

What’s an Example of a Deregulated Energy Market?
Texas is perhaps the best example of a deregulated energy market.
It was one of six states to first adopt deregulation in 1999, along with California, Rhode Island, New York, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts.

There's a world of difference between de-regulated retail power markets including retail outlet choice etc. and low regulation on the generation/utility side.

CA strangles the generation side - proved up by the fact ~30% of the state's power usage must be imported.

https://www.energy.ca.gov/data-repor...ric-generation

&

CA's power prices are much higher than the same in Texas.

https://www.energybot.com/electricit...-by-state.html

Old 09-06-2022, 07:36 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,027,021 times
In the de-regulated market in the Austin suburbs, our rate went up by over 30% just this year. I checked the rate from Austin Energy (City of Austin only), and it is well below this. So much for deregulation. Combined with the hassle of dealing with all these plans and companies and the need to compare rates every year or two, I don't think it's worth it.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
There's a world of difference between de-regulated retail power markets including retail outlet choice etc. and low regulation on the generation/utility side.

CA strangles the generation side - proved up by the fact ~30% of the state's power usage must be imported.

https://www.energy.ca.gov/data-repor...ric-generation

&

CA's power prices are much higher than the same in Texas.

https://www.energybot.com/electricit...-by-state.html
Thanks to the PUC for all the great work in Calif. Keep the damn politicians out of our markets or we will have the same thing happen.

Old 09-06-2022, 09:29 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
In the de-regulated market in the Austin suburbs, our rate went up by over 30% just this year. I checked the rate from Austin Energy (City of Austin only), and it is well below this. So much for deregulation. Combined with the hassle of dealing with all these plans and companies and the need to compare rates every year or two, I don't think it's worth it.
Change providers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas