Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 09:49 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
First off, I'll readily admit that I do not live in Texas, so I'm not totally familiar with how the system works there. But I do have a question, and if it's been answered before, please understand that I haven't heard it discussed.

Having said that, I see the video on the news, showing people, literally, walking across the Rio Grande River, and illegally entering the US. In other words, the river, at least in places, is not very deep. Pardon my overly simple observation, but why doesn't the Government simply dredge the river, so it's more than waist deep, from one end to the other?

Is there something I'm overlooking, here?

First of all, you're assuming that the government would want to make it more difficult for them to get here.

That's not true. Lots of talk. But actions speak louder than words

There is a large, entrenched bureaucracy that is not elected that is ideologically invested in the current reality. Add to that, the fact that the Congress is gridlocked and effectively unable to agree on anything, even if that's occasionally to control immigration. The president could go either way, ever four years. The Supremes walk the tightrope. Gridlock. Gridlock. Gridlock.

There's a game at work here. An agenda. And it has NOTHING to do with helping people. It's about elections, and voter demographics. And about flipping states for demographic advantage.

And who knows what else? Suppress wages? Who knows. I don't get invited to the meetings.

But the government as it stands is NOT going to do anything to disturb the status quo. Trump ran on the issue in 2016 and he got really nothing of lasting value. And there's nobody on the horizon more extreme than he was for the immigration control faction. Ultimately, Trump spent a lot of money on a wall..... and lost. The status quo is stalemate, but drifting Left.

Really, this is nothing new. Immigration has swelled and shrunk in spurts ever since before the Civil War. It's nothing new. But it didn't always have the current agenda. Just other agendas. In the 1800s, it was about using mainly European immigrants to help takeover native lands and provide the pretext for military action against the natives who resisted. Now, I think it's sort of the same thing, but the players have been reversed. The shoe's on the other foot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2022, 06:40 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I heard that nowadays they are mostly from Venezuela or Bolivia. .

The current exodus of Venezuelans has generated the largest migration crisis of its kind in recent Latin American history.
Arrivals of migrants from Cuba, Nicaragua, and Venezuela have more than quadrupled since 2021.

https://www.wola.org/2022/09/weekly-...and-elsewhere/

The United States does not recognize the presidency of Nicolás Maduro, which has hindered authorities’ ability to send migrants back.

Old 09-25-2022, 10:34 PM

134 posts, read 139,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
The wall is cheaper. Don't see this Dem administration trying to make that more of an obstacle. Obviously this or any other Dem administration wants to impede illegal border crossings. Instead they encourage it for anybody from any country. There's no telling how many terrorists they have allowed into our country mingled in with the crowded masses!
Here's the thing about the "wall". It's a scam. It's a way for R's to funnel tax payers money into large right wing construction companies so they can funnel part of that money back into the politicians pockets.

Have you not seen the videos of people climbing the new fence that "Mexico" paid for? Well, when the "wall" isn't falling down on it's own, that is.

Wanna stop things? Try prosecuting companies that employ illegals. This would include the illegals that work for trumps resorts/hotels.

Once you do that, don't whine and cry that when you can't find a roofer or lawn service or an increase in veggies in the grocery store because prices will increase.

Not a lot of rich white kids fighting for those low paying jobs. But yeah, build a falling down wall so republican governors can get bribe money.

One last question, why is immigration only an issue with you people when a Dem is the President? You guys are silent when the President is Republican. Just asking.

Old 09-29-2022, 07:47 AM

1,108 posts, read 528,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyLebeau View Post
Here's the thing about the "wall". It's a scam. It's a way for R's to funnel tax payers money into large right wing construction companies so they can funnel part of that money back into the politicians pockets.

Have you not seen the videos of people climbing the new fence that "Mexico" paid for? Well, when the "wall" isn't falling down on it's own, that is.

Wanna stop things? Try prosecuting companies that employ illegals. This would include the illegals that work for trumps resorts/hotels.

Once you do that, don't whine and cry that when you can't find a roofer or lawn service or an increase in veggies in the grocery store because prices will increase.

Not a lot of rich white kids fighting for those low paying jobs. But yeah, build a falling down wall so republican governors can get bribe money.

One last question, why is immigration only an issue with you people when a Dem is the President? You guys are silent when the President is Republican. Just asking.
you got too e kidding! Did not Trump supporters cheer about the wall and the drop in illegals crossings? How about the libreals crying everyday about locking families up in jails that obama built? Come on man get a grip.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:31 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
Illegal immigration has gotten worse ever since biden has become president. The whole reason trump got elected was because of illegal immigration… and it’s probably why he will get elected again, even though I think desantis is a better candidate.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:39 AM

Maybe the democrats should have the say in what construction companies are used for the wall so the money can get funneled into their pockets.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:32 AM

1,950 posts, read 2,298,854 times
maybe everyone with an opinion should live on the Border or have a direct connection to it like a relative that works in , the Border patrol , customs agent . I want to hear from them.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
maybe everyone with an opinion should live on the Border or have a direct connection to it like a relative that works in , the Border patrol , customs agent . I want to hear from them.
My families ranch is an hour east of the border and we have suffered due to illegal immigration… at least the drugs coming in. We used to hire people for weeks at a time that worked and went back over, but due to the crackdown on the border (which is, again, mostly due to drugs) it is not viable for them to come work and then go right back. They either don’t come or they have to stay here more permanently.

Border communities and south texas counties are voting more republican than they ever and I think immigration is a big part. Certainly not the only reason though.

Sadly I don’t think there are too many people on this forum that live in south texas other than San Antonio and corpus.

Old 09-29-2022, 01:30 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Border communities and south texas counties are voting more republican than they ever and I think immigration is a big part. Certainly not the only reason though.
True, but i think it's equally due to the Democrats going just a bit too far left as of late and that not sitting well with South Texas Hispanics, most of which are some what religious and socially conservative.

Old 09-29-2022, 02:11 PM

I concur
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas