Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 08:17 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Traps, lol. Sure pal. And you clearly aren't familiar with Prop 19. You really should educate yourself before making comments about things you know nothing about.
Perhaps you should do the same. My taxes won't go up if a new tax is introduced and your case in point is a state in which the income tax ALONE would exceed my TOTAL current tax burden? Sure.

Maybe don't bring up California as some shining example of a state with a lower tax burden than that of Texas. The way to property tax relief is NOT a state income tax. And California's the LAST state I would look to for ways to reduce my combined tax burden. That place would tax you for saying the word California if they could.

States with income tax generally impose a higher tax burden than states without. That's a FACT.

Last edited by albert648; 10-02-2022 at 08:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2022, 10:06 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
There's ALWAYS more efficient to be had. That's on the so-called "experts" to figure out. What the hell do we pay bureaucrats and politicians 6 figures for if they bring us nothing but problems and bills? Be more efficient. Figure it out. I'm not interested in their problems that I, as a taxpayer, pay them to solve. I'm interested in solutions. I want better for less. Figure out how I can get better for less. Period. End of Story. That's what politicians and bureaucrats are paid to do.

When's the last time a program that failed to produce expected outcomes was cut? Never? That's exactly how I know.
So, you don't have a way to make the police more efficient. Or the firefighters. Or the garbage collectors. For those tasks, you aren't getting better for less. Houston is 600+ square miles. There is a certain minimum number of police officers required to patrol that area. Same thing with firefighters. In both cases, you have enough to minimally cover the area, plus some excess capacity if there's a big issue.

Houston garbage collection runs about 180 routes per day. That covers each property once a week. Those routes are optimized to be as efficient as possible. How do you think that can be made more efficient?

What programs do you think should be cut for failing?

Old 10-03-2022, 02:16 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,563,849 times
Quote:
Perhaps you should do the same. My taxes won't go up if a new tax is introduced and your case in point is a state in which the income tax ALONE would exceed my TOTAL current tax burden? Sure.

Maybe don't bring up California as some shining example of a state with a lower tax burden than that of Texas. The way to property tax relief is NOT a state income tax. And California's the LAST state I would look to for ways to reduce my combined tax burden. That place would tax you for saying the word California if they could.

States with income tax generally impose a higher tax burden than states without. That's a FACT.
Nice deflection. As stated, you should educate yourself before talking about things you know nothing about. Prop 19 allows for property tax transfers so your statement is factually wrong. Also, for those of us that can actually drill down beyond your singleminded "all taxes are bad" mentality, we realize that your income level in high COL areas exceeds many other areas by a fairly significant amount. If one earns 40% more and has an effective tax rate of 7%, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who has more income coming in. A lower property tax base at retirement is a benefit to any established residents 100% of the time (especially when their actual income is lower and fixed during that time). The topic is property tax relief. End of story.

Last edited by blameyourself; 10-03-2022 at 03:10 AM..

Old 10-03-2022, 06:33 AM

1,108 posts, read 528,740 times
The real story is my property taxes in Texas are 25% lower than the other state i lived in and with 65 year old lock up of the school tax will be forever. My house is only a couple hundred sq ft less but i still have a shop and pool and larger property. I live on my ss and investments and see no reason to complain about property taxes in a state with no income tax. End of this story for me.

Old 10-03-2022, 09:50 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
Quote:
I don't trust politicians farther than I can throw them. My standard answer to more taxes is ALWAYS a big fat NO. ALWAYS.

State income tax is a dealbreaker as far as I'm concerned.

The max bracket on the federal income tax used to be 7% on incomes above today's equivalent to $14 million. We don't even have income tax rates that low anymore. Spare me. Taxes ALWAYS increase 100% of the time, and splitting the bill between an income tax and property tax is not going to change that. All that accomplishes is give politicians more ways to hide tax hikes.
Tell that to the governor of South Dakota.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:04 AM

718 posts, read 397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Property tax relief is only done for farmers
Everybody else that pays property taxes on their house is stuck paying without any relief and basically subsidizing farmers
i dont think farmers and ranchers really make much money from farming and ranching so they would not have enough to pay the taxes on the land if it was taxed at the same rate as a texas home without having to sell their land off.i dont object to them not paying much since they dont make much but thats just me.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicoCowboy View Post
i dont think farmers and ranchers really make much money from farming and ranching so they would not have enough to pay the taxes on the land if it was taxed at the same rate as a texas home without having to sell their land off.i dont object to them not paying much since they dont make much but thats just me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I used to live by a house with a few acres with miniature donkeys on it
I always wondered what was the deal with that

Well, by doing that, they get an agricultural tax exemption
thats similar to what i am planning to do with my ranch that we live on once we get it finished.we have talked about having bees or a few cows for the tax exemption.we may get 2 or 3 cows and save a lot on property taxes.but we will pay a lot of property taxes on the house itself because its going to be a McMansion

Old 10-05-2022, 09:10 AM

15,432 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicoCowboy View Post
thats similar to what i am planning to do with my ranch that we live on once we get it finished.we have talked about having bees or a few cows for the tax exemption.we may get 2 or 3 cows and save a lot on property taxes.but we will pay a lot of property taxes on the house itself because its going to be a McMansion
Talk to a local attorney to determine how many cows you need to have to get the ag exemption.

Yes, your house will be split out as a separate property for tax purposes. As far as I know, there is no requirement that you tell the County Appraisal District about the house. my friend who lives on 500+ acres never told them, and it took about 12 years for them to figure out he had a house. At that point, he split out the house from the rest of the ranch. He had to get an attorney to write a deed to do that, since the ranch is owned by a corporation, and corporations can't get a homestead exemption. The deed covered the main house, the guest house and a couple of acres around them.

Old 10-05-2022, 09:12 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
I don’t think subsidizing farmers is a bad thing. It is good to have food.

Old 10-05-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Talk to a local attorney to determine how many cows you need to have to get the ag exemption.

Yes, your house will be split out as a separate property for tax purposes. As far as I know, there is no requirement that you tell the County Appraisal District about the house. my friend who lives on 500+ acres never told them, and it took about 12 years for them to figure out he had a house. At that point, he split out the house from the rest of the ranch. He had to get an attorney to write a deed to do that, since the ranch is owned by a corporation, and corporations can't get a homestead exemption. The deed covered the main house, the guest house and a couple of acres around them.
oh okay kool thanks for the tip .we are figuring out how the tax break will work but its possible i wont be able to get the ag exemption,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas