Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 09:38 AM

16 posts, read 12,906 times

Advertisements

This is honestly the funniest thing i've heard all day. It's naive and delusional to think that implementing a small income tax would lower property taxes. I won't repeat all of the great points other posters have made...all true and more.

All you have to do is look at places like MN and IL to understand that there are states and cities that have BOTH high income taxes and high property taxes. I live in MN and my property tax rate is pretty darn close to most metros in TX. We had a budget surplus this year and not a dime went back to people, they found new ways to spend it. A few years ago when we had a surplus they spent it and also added a higher gas tax. There are an infinite number of ways and motivations to tax people and to continue to raise taxes...be very careful what you wish for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
We need to enact a small income tax and lower property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 04:08 PM

1,108 posts, read 528,564 times
Yea lets have the politicians have a way to take more of our money - thats makes so much sense. How about some push back for these damn school bonds? Hell i went to school without ac! Why do schools need these multi million dollar performance art buildings? Why are you voting to add bleachers and top tier announcer booths at stadiums when they are only used a few nights a year? Why not combine some of there districts and remove the double whammy of superintendents, counselors and tons of admin? Why does every city need two or three separate districts?

Old 09-14-2022, 06:28 PM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Admittedly this is where my conservatism ends. I don't have children but I am okay with the necessary funding to bring the best out of our schools. I wish we could concentrate on improving our higher education systems, but I do not believe any of our property tax goes toward that.

I am however against a State Income tax though. Our Property Tax will not go down if we receive one. We will just have two high taxes.

Old 09-15-2022, 09:17 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
It would be very easy to put a property tax cap and add an income tax.

Old 09-15-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Easy? Yes. Will they do it? No. The state and its municipalities are already rolling in a ton of money from our existing taxes but there is little talk about capping property tax or any other form of taxation. Why would they suddenly change it if they introduced a new tax?

Illinois is a prime example, they have a higher property tax on avg than Texas and a state income tax to go ontop of that. Any new sources of revenue that tax collectors can get their hands on is always an addition to any previous methods, not a replacement.

Old 09-15-2022, 10:35 AM

Texas is substantially more fiscally conservative than Illinois so that doesn’t seem like a good comparison.

All it would take is a bill that puts a property tax cap (less than what we’re paying now) and a small state income tax.

Old 09-15-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Texas is substantially more fiscally conservative than Illinois so that doesn’t seem like a good comparison.

All it would take is a bill that puts a property tax cap (less than what we’re paying now) and a small state income tax.
Financially conservative on spending? Yes.
Financially conservative on collecting? I don’t trust our politicians that much.

Old 09-15-2022, 02:02 PM

1,108 posts, read 528,564 times
Quote:
And just as easy to increase the income tax rate higher and higher - you really want to give the politicians that power? I dont trust ANY political party when it comes to money - there power comes from taking it and spending it.

Old 09-15-2022, 02:14 PM

It would be just as easy as raising property taxes which they are already doing. At least income taxes are more evenly distributed, and you won’t be paying them in your retirement.

Old 09-15-2022, 02:31 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
If it's easy to do it's also easy to undo. As I said before, a constitutional amendment is a much higher hurdle than simple legislation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas