Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 10:31 AM

9,847 posts, read 6,566,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Really,
Are you saying that all the people in Venezuela with non-Spanish last names like Franco De Vita, Gabriela Spanic, Marjorie De Sousa, etc. are not considered "latinos"?
I bet $1000 that if you told them that they are not latino, they'll respond: "Tu como que eres mar....?"
I assumed you were talking about immigrants rather than people who have mixed into society through generations. If that wasn’t the case, then I take it back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 10:50 AM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I assumed you were talking about immigrants rather than people who have mixed into society through generations. If that wasn’t the case, then I take it back.
... and I assumed they were talking about Spanish and Italians still residing in Europe.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:45 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Dude, you should know how s.t is over there
Same as here, you don't know who's been there 10 years or several generations.

Did you know that Franco de Vita grew up in Italy and his first language is italian?
And most people in Venezuela would consider him 100% venezuelan.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:47 PM

9,847 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Dude, you should know how s.t is over there
Same as here, you don't know who's been there 10 years or several generations.

Did you know that Franco de Vita grew up in Italy and his first language is italian?
And most people in Venezuela would consider him 100% venezuelan.
I think this is out of convenience to claim a superstar.

Old 09-19-2022, 02:04 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
Quote:
One of four children born in Venezuela to Italian immigrants, De Vita's family returned to Rome, Italy when he was 3. The family moved back to Venezuela when De Vita was 13. Due to his upbringing in Rome, Italy, De Vita learned Italian as his first language and did not learn Spanish until he returned to Venezuela at age 13.
Kind of disingenuous to imply he wasn’t also raised there. He spent 10 years of his childhood in Italy and 7 in Venezuela.

Old 09-19-2022, 07:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadigggski View Post
I get that part. It just seems like flawed/not complete data if people that are 15% of something are marking themselves down as a race. At this point with how mixed the country is, I think the forms should go into more detail. Then again I never got a census form in 2020 (for whatever reason) so I have no clue what it looks like lol. Right now with how the data is structured it doesn't paint the full picture IMO.
Hispanic is not considered a race. As for actual races, I guess it's who you most identify with or as.

Old 09-19-2022, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I disagree,
Growing up in Latin America, anybody that spoke Spanish was considered Latino (Hispanic)
I knew people from Italy, Spain, Hungary, Japan … and to us, they were Latino.

BTW, Brazilians also think of themselves as Latinos/Hispanic

Japanese are considered Latino where you're from? Where is that exactly?

Old 09-19-2022, 07:23 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Japanese are considered Latino where you're from? Where is that exactly?
Brazil has the biggest Japanese population outside of Japan. Japanese Brazilians, are the population he’s talking about im pretty sure.

Old 09-19-2022, 11:36 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Yes, you'd be surprised by the number of Chinese and Korean Mexicans in Mexicali and Tijuana who are in fact Latinos, especially the 2nd gen. My neighbor in Tijuana 15 years ago had a surname of Chong. He looked Mexican, but at his family parties his aunts and uncles were very oriental looking but with a Mexican flair.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:45 AM

So we're talking basically about mixed race people who have lived for at least a generation in a South American country, right? I guess they can call themselves whatever they want but they are definitely not Korean or Japanese or Chinese I wouldn't say - I mean, they are not from those countries so first of all, there's that. In Brazil, around a third of the Japanese (most of which are second generation or even third and fourth generation) have mixed race ancestry.

I believe that they make up less than one percent of the population of Brazil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas