Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 10:12 AM

3,950 posts, read 2,999,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
But the agricultural land was being divvied out more form the time period when whites were 80%-85%, and also take in mind non-citizens like Native Americans often weren't counted in the earliest census, especially in 1790, when 2/3rds of the current land area was under Native control. Even in 1790, there was well over 100,000 natives in the Western U.S, hell probably approaching a half a million but there's no way to really know.
Most people that currently own land have not owned that land since the days it was being divided out. There is nothing stopping non white people from buying land. They tend to live in big cities so I think it makes sense. 98% is still crazy though. It is certainly not the case in texas. I would be willing to bet white and Hispanic people in texas own somewhere around 98% of the land though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 12:02 PM

33 posts, read 20,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
It's both, immigration, inter-racial marriages and Hispanic mothers have a higher birth rate per 1000 than whites. Not to overly generalize, but younger white woman don't seem as focused on having children like they use to. Many younger millenial and gen z white couples are perfectly content with focusing on their careers versus families and they opt for "fur babies" as opposed to having actual children.
This is very true. I’m gen-x, even a lot of white people in my generation are childless by choice. And we are all over 40 now. They are it just choosing careers over kids, they also just flat out can’t afford kids. Other demographics don’t seem as concerned overall about things like that for different reasons. I see/know more whites having kids in the rural areas than the larger areas. But the rural areas continue to shrink and have been for decades. And that is very correct about the fur babies. There is some crazy obsession there along with Starbucks.

Old 09-23-2022, 12:07 PM

33 posts, read 20,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Most people that currently own land have not owned that land since the days it was being divided out. There is nothing stopping non white people from buying land. They tend to live in big cities so I think it makes sense. 98% is still crazy though. It is certainly not the case in texas. I would be willing to bet white and Hispanic people in texas own somewhere around 98% of the land though.
This is true to an extent. Oil companies in South and West Texas own more land than anyone. Some Oil companies lease the land but some own it outright. Also, UT and A&M own massive amounts of land throughout Texas that’s leased for oil and ranching. Where do you think the majority of their money comes from (royalties)?

Old 09-23-2022, 12:09 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,019,893 times
Quote:
I thought the point of this thread was to highlight what we all knew... Hispanics have become the majority in Texas. Instead, it has turned into bickering amongst Hispanics of how the census is taken, and now about who owns the land?

These last two observations illustrate the point I have tried to make in previous posts about Hispanics. Yes, Hispanics are majority in several cities, and now the State, but politically Hispanics do NOT have power. It will take a few more generations for this to happen I suppose.

Regarding land ownership, it is well documented that White land owners in the Rio Grande valley huddled together with other White settlers from the United States to ensure Whites retained ownership of the big ranches/farms in the RGV. Maybe a few legacy Spanish land owners were lucky enough to retain their land...but they are few and far between. The power structure in the RGV has long been held by Whites. Heck, even the names of the cities and counties are named after Whites... Brownsville... Cameron County, McAllen, etc.

Old 09-23-2022, 12:43 PM

White people are about 5% of the valley population so I’m not too sure how much “power” they have anymore.

Old 09-23-2022, 12:54 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,019,893 times
Quote:
White people are about 5% of the valley population so I’m not too sure how much “power” they have anymore.
You're missing the point. It actually goes back to Dopo's point that Whites own 98% of the land... the power structure in the Valley hasn't changed much, and by the way Whites have always been a small minority population-wise in the RGV.

Old 09-23-2022, 01:49 PM

Wrong.

Quote:
As the historical Census data show, the proportion ofresidents who are Hispanic grew steadily over the second half of the 20thcentury. In 1940 Hispanics accounted for little over 61% and in 1970—76% of all RGV population.1Today, more than 90% of the 1.3 million RGV residents are Hispanic.

Old 09-23-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
The Valley did not see much development until the United States Civil War during which time the Port of Matamoros became an important supply depot for the Confederacy. At one time early on, the Anglo population of Matamoros exceeded the Hispanic population by such a large margin that there was an English language newspaper published there.

Quote:
2/15/37 Now (put into modern terms) the telephone directory proclaims Harlingen's population to be 10,714 with the adjacent outlying area having 5,500 more. The breakdown is 6,705 Anglos, 3,775 Latins (of whom 75% are said to speak English) and 234 Blacks.

Old 09-26-2022, 12:26 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,065,317 times
Quote:
Wrong.
They are equally right and wrong.

In 1940, the Valley's total population was only 189,000 people. So roughly 73,000 White Americans. in 2020, their are roughly 90,000 White Americans which is a decline from over 100,000 in 2010. So the sheer number hasn't changed much at all.

Old 09-26-2022, 12:34 PM

They have not always been a small minority population wise, is my point. South texas in general was half Anglo and half Hispanic until a generation or 2 ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas