U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 01:14 PM

17,319 posts, read 23,483,766 times

Advertisements

This is what I think of Abbott

Texas governor says power grid fixed; experts cite problems

“The legislature passed comprehensive reforms to fix all of the flaws that led to the power failure,” Abbott said. He went on to add, “Bottom line is that everything that needed to be done was done to fix the power grid in Texas.”

Texas has spent over $4 billion on Operation Lone Star. Where did that money come from?

For much of the past two years, a significant portion of Texas’ budget has gone toward Operation Lone Star, the border security mission backed by Gov. Greg Abbott. At its peak, the operation involved more than 10,000 Texas National Guard troops stationed at the Texas-Mexico border.

According to the state, they were there to stem the flow of drugs and people into the United States — but there’s not much evidence that that’s happened. To date, it’s cost more than $4 billion to keep Operation Lone Star up and running.

Gov. Greg Abbott, After Yet Another Texas Mass Shooting, Focused on Praising Police—as Questions Emerge About Their Response

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott made a point to hail the “quick response” of “valiant local officials” in the school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, this week. But as new details about the police response emerged Thursday, and questions about why it took officers 14 minutes to enter the building, that praise became more complicated—underscoring a dynamic that was in plain view at the governor’s press conference the day before.

“As horrible as what happened [was], it could have been worse. The reason it was not worse is because law enforcement officials did what they do,” Abbott said, praising officers’ “quick response” while speaking at a press conference on Wednesday. “They showed amazing courage by running toward gunfire.” Abbott initially said that school police officers “engaged” the gunman before he entered the school, but a new timeline of events later contradicted that.

Notably absent from Abbott’s press conference Wednesday: Praise for the educators who shielded their students and died beside them in two classrooms where the gunman barricaded himself for an hour.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 01:21 PM

12,148 posts, read 11,794,860 times
Beto is a fraud.

Abbott? Meh

Old 10-05-2022, 02:45 PM

6,020 posts, read 5,016,530 times
I'm tempted to vote for Beto, not because I think he's the right person for the job, but because I think we need someone different. Also, speaking as a former Chicago resident, I don't think it's a good idea for a single party to be in charge for such a long time. TX hasn't had a Democrat governor since 1995.

Old 10-05-2022, 02:50 PM

967 posts, read 626,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm tempted to vote for Beto, not because I think he's the right person for the job, but because I think we need someone different. Also, speaking as a former Chicago resident, I don't think it's a good idea for a single party to be in charge for such a long time. TX hasn't had a Democrat governor since 1995.
So you would vote for beto for that reason ? I assume you voted for biden also ?

Old 10-05-2022, 03:11 PM

6,020 posts, read 5,016,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
So you would vote for beto for that reason ? I assume you voted for biden also ?

I voted 3rd party because I couldn't bring myself to vote for Trump or Biden. And that's the problem with our sorry 2 party system. Often times you aren't voting for the right candidate but voting against the candidate you dislike. That's how it was for Trump vs Biden. Everyone I know who voted for Biden didn't vote for him because they liked him, they just did it because they thought Trump was worse than him.

Old 10-05-2022, 04:06 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,102,576 times
I do not like the idea of anyone being in office more than two terms. That said, until we have term limits and more than two viable parties, I will have to choose based upon the candidate whose party platform is least distasteful to me.

Old 10-05-2022, 04:24 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,027,017 times
I don't hate Abbot, but I definitely think he is committed to carrying out Trumpish laws. I think there definitely needs to be more gun regulation and some of the things the man stands for is an embarrasment at best. Him and Ted Cruz combined have officially made Texas the dumbest and most backward looking state in the recent years.

Old 10-05-2022, 04:41 PM

967 posts, read 626,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Him and Ted Cruz combined have officially made Texas the dumbest and most backward looking state in the recent years.
How so ? and I am not being a smart a$$

Old 10-05-2022, 06:09 PM

6,066 posts, read 6,451,983 times
Abbot Vs Beto debate.
Topics covered were:
2:20 immigration ,illegal immigration
13:50 gun control/ red flag laws
20:00 Uvalde response/ school safety
26:45 abortion/ rape kit test
32:10 defunding police
36:38 energy grid
40:40 teacher shortage/ retention

I noticed the topic of economy and jobs was not brought up, with regard to these Abbot has done a stellar job for Texas. I also noticed he deflected blame to Biden admin alot and to local administrations (Austin and Houston) for high crime issues.

I don't think Texans necessarily love him like many Floridians love Desantis, they will simply settle for him again over Beto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHS8eVfLH08

Old 10-05-2022, 07:29 PM

1,037 posts, read 346,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I voted 3rd party because I couldn't bring myself to vote for Trump or Biden. And that's the problem with our sorry 2 party system. Often times you aren't voting for the right candidate but voting against the candidate you dislike. That's how it was for Trump vs Biden. Everyone I know who voted for Biden didn't vote for him because they liked him, they just did it because they thought Trump was worse than him.
then you really did not vote for a president in 2020.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas