Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you visited either?
Yes 15 55.56%
No 12 44.44%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 02:17 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times

Advertisements

I'm curious, how many Texans have actually visited their in state's national parks being that both are so far away from the most populated areas (exception El Paso).

Any experiences you'd like to share if you've been. I'm considering visiting one or the other in the coming year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2022, 03:10 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
No - but I plan to some time in the future.

Old 10-06-2022, 03:52 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Big Bend is 9 hours away from North Houston
Hot Springs, AR is 6.5 hours away

I rather visit Hot Springs

Old 10-06-2022, 04:13 PM

573 posts, read 335,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I'm curious, how many Texans have actually visited their in state's national parks being that both are so far away from the most populated areas (exception El Paso).

Any experiences you'd like to share if you've been. I'm considering visiting one or the other in the coming year.
Big Bend I've been to, but not Guadalupe. There is Big Bend state park (SP) and Big Bend National Park (NP) - separate and IIRC - separate fees. If you plan to hike some trails, there are some limits if you have dogs at the NP. SP allows dogs for the most part.

Decide on where you want to stay - if Marfa or Alpine, just know it's like a 2 hour drive to either park. So if you want to spend more time at the parks, then stay much closer than those 2 towns, maybe Terlingua or motels in the NP. They have lots of RV sites or camp sites if you're into that.

You do not need a 4x4 - a car will be fine except for maybe 1 road in the NP but it's just more of a shortcut road and not really any sightseeing road or anything. And don't go too much above the speed limit - much more police presence. We got stopped but only given a warning. We just wanted to get back to Marfa fast because of that 2 hour drive - definitely would stay much closer next time. Or if you're in Houston or Austin, there is a leisurely train ride to Alpine instead of having to drive or fly near the BB parks.

There are a few hiking areas that will take you to the Rio Grande - technically you're not supposed to cross over. We did just to do it. There was no wall or sharks near one hike we did to the river in the SP - fish could barely survive in that section as it was a pretty tiny river that you could one-hop across and back.

Old 10-06-2022, 05:45 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
I've been to both. I love the country out there. It's peaceful, and the rugged beauty is just amazing!

Old 10-07-2022, 11:26 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,051,782 times
Went to BBNP this past May, memorial day week for a week. It was very hot and dry. Most of the activities were closed due to no water in the river, to hot for horses. We saw a bird and that was about all the wildlife we saw. It was a nice drive through the mountains. Hiked the Santa Elana trail which is along the rio grande into Mexico. Yes you can walk right into Mexico. Also made it up to balanced rock. There was the "Window" hiking trail (5 miles/known for bears) but the ranger didnt recommend it due to the heat at that time. He said we would have a hard time coming back

There is also a town in Mexico right across the river called Bosqualos (something like that) that survives on tourist. You can walk or take a row boat over. We took the boat and then rode donkeys along a mile long trail to the town. Nice people but then again they want your money. It consist of 2 bars/restaurants and gift stores. Food wasnt bad. The kids chase you nicely try to sell you little trinkets. You do need a PP coming back in

If your into golf there is a very, very nice course in Lajitas that is right on the border. I would recommend a visit once, unless your a big time hiker. Many trails for that. If the river was flowing it would have been even better.

We stayed in Terlingua at a RV Park. If you want to eat at restaurant (not many) you have to go early. They fill up quick. Highly recommend Starlight theater. Not sure how people live there but they do

Our last full day, the monsoons came. Boy did it ever rain. Amazing light show. Also at night there are billions of stars. From what I see on facebook its been raining alot out there which brings out all the animals and bears

One night while waiting for a restaurant to open we chatted with the local sheriff. I asked him about illegals crossing the border. He said they do it all the time and 50% make it. They die in the desert. Only way to make it is if you have a car waiting. This is summer of course.

Old 10-07-2022, 12:22 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Yeah, Big Bend in the summer heat is pretty miserable. High season there is at Christmas when it is much cooler, wetter weather. I want to go in late February when the bluebonnets bloom because they have a special hybrid there that gets 2 feet tall!

McDonald Observatory in Fort Davis is wonderful and always worth a visit! https://mcdonaldobservatory.org/

Old 10-07-2022, 12:40 PM

573 posts, read 335,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Yeah, Big Bend in the summer heat is pretty miserable. High season there is at Christmas when it is much cooler, wetter weather. I want to go in late February when the bluebonnets bloom because they have a special hybrid there that gets 2 feet tall!

McDonald Observatory in Fort Davis is wonderful and always worth a visit! https://mcdonaldobservatory.org/
We went in mid-october, and it was nicer-maybe high 80s, but sunny and still got hot hiking in both parks.

Bring suncreen and hat.

Old 10-07-2022, 12:43 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
I had been wanting to go to Big Bend forever and my husband wasn’t keen on it until we were stir crazy from the pandemic and he agreed to it. Big Bend is so amazing. I can’t wait to go back.

Old 10-12-2022, 09:36 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
What is y'all experiences with the towns around Big Bend? Alpine, Terlingua, Fort Davis, Marfa, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas