Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 10:34 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,938,471 times

Advertisements

My great great grandfather came over from Europe and bought a ranch that my family still owns to this day. I am curious how many people on this board have family ranches like this. Do you live near it? On it? Does anybody on your family live on it? How often do you go to it? Do yall have cattle or any other animals?

For the people reading this that may be from Texas but have since moved away to another state: do you miss being close to your families ranch?

I know there are a lot of transplants that aren't from Texas on here. Feel free to post any anecdotes you have from friends you have made here in Texas?

Thought it could bring an interesting discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2022, 02:29 PM

65 posts, read 93,849 times
My family does. It is owned by a corporation. The shares of the corporation are held by a family trust.

Do you live near it? Some of the family lives near it; I am about an hour away. No one lives on it.

How often do you go to it? I probably go the most. About once every couple of weeks. More during deer season.

We have cattle operations on the ranch; we also have nearby land that is used as a farm.

Old 10-13-2022, 03:23 PM

What part of texas is it in?

Old 10-13-2022, 04:30 PM

670 posts, read 357,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
My great great grandfather came over from Europe and bought a ranch that my family still owns to this day. I am curious how many people on this board have family ranches like this. Do you live near it? On it? Does anybody on your family live on it? How often do you go to it? Do yall have cattle or any other animals?

For the people reading this that may be from Texas but have since moved away to another state: do you miss being close to your families ranch?

I know there are a lot of transplants that aren't from Texas on here. Feel free to post any anecdotes you have from friends you have made here in Texas?

Thought it could bring an interesting discussion.
our family lost our big ranch generations ago.my uncle has a ranch but i have never been to it.we just lease land from a rancher to use his land for hunting.however we bought a small ranch to live on recently.we dont have any animals on it but we may get a few cattle on for the tax exemption.i am also looking for another ranch for the family to have our own hunting land.

Old 10-14-2022, 01:00 PM

6,478 posts, read 7,430,380 times
We have a 20 acre ranch, some Texans don't consider anything less than 100 acres to be "a ranch." It's only been in our family since the 80s though.

Old 10-14-2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
We have a 20 acre ranch, some Texans don't consider anything less than 100 acres to be "a ranch." It's only been in our family since the 80s though.
Some would say a ranch has to have multiple “sections” which make it at least 1500 acres.

20 acres is certainly better than 0 though!

Old 10-14-2022, 01:29 PM

6,478 posts, read 7,430,380 times
^^ I'll just call it my "ranchito" then. What's nice is that right next door is a 2000 acre wooded area and cattle field. So it makes it feel much larger than it really is. Plus as a kid, with permission of the old rancher next door, I could romp around on the other side of the fence with my dogs EXCEPT during hunting season.

The field would be perfect for a housing development which has always worried me, especially now since San Antonio keeps developing Southward.

Old 10-14-2022, 01:43 PM

The good news is when it gets to the time when the area around it is being developed, you could always sell it and then buy a bigger piece of land further south.

I know it’s hard to give up family land though.

Old 10-14-2022, 04:45 PM

1,666 posts, read 966,727 times
My grandfather left behind a 10-acre farm that the family has interchangeably referred to as the “farm” or the “ranch.” It is certainly not a ranch the way we think of big cattle ranches today.

When I was a child the farm was on a dirt road and surrounded by miles of fields and orange groves. Alas, the area has been “developed” and now there is a subdivision across the street with an elementary school.

As I’ve researched my family’s history what impresses me the most is somehow my grandfather was able to purchase a house in the city, and then purchase 10-acres to build another house on. The man was a migrant worker and managed to own two properties - both are still within the family!

He left an acre to each of his children. Slowly the children are passing away and the grandchildren are on a mission to sell all 10 acres as a unit. My mother is still alive and she is in favor of selling. I am not in favor of selling because it must have cost my grandfather so much to obtain that land. For the moment we are at an impasse…too many people involved!

Old 10-14-2022, 06:34 PM

3,786 posts, read 1,335,830 times
My grandfather still had a section (640ac) S. of SanAntonio - but half was dispersed to heirs on his passing in the early 70's, and the other half sold (way too cheap) over time for ongoing support of my grandmother (his wife) till her passing in the late 90's.
My father left us his 50ac portion on his passing in 2017 - and we've kept it as a unit for recreational (and ag/hay) use.
I've got 41ac in North Texas (N. of dfw) - live\work(remotely)\and mixed ag-use here.

My dad in his youth once worked at the uranium mines near Falls City (in the 50's).
The family always knew/hoped/dreamed there was oil under the owned property, but it wasn't till Eagle-Ford horizontal tech around 2009 that it became (somewhat) economical - we never got rich, but the lease money paid to get water and electricity ran to our 50 acres, making camping/hunting/etc much more comfortable there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas