U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-24-2022, 10:35 AM
 
20,967 posts, read 12,613,916 times
Reputation: 11321

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
We'll see what happens: the Tom Thumb stores, even in their 2020's enormous design, are still closer to being neighborhood stores than the gargantuan elephantine Kroger stores with their two variations of any product, only available in "First Army Mess Hall" sizes. On the other hand it doesn't seem, what with the razor thin margins of the grocery business, that Kroger-Albertsons would keep competing stores so close to each other. I guess the last human-scaled Tom Thumbs in Snider Plaza and Preston Center are doomed.

I wonder if anyone's ever going to open a chain of normal-sized grocery stores again.
Do you have a Sprout's? In and out in 10 minutes. They have pretty good bakery and meat dept, very good produce @ good prices. They don't carry aisles of sugar cereal, soda or cleaning products. Some, but not 10 different sizes of the same detergent. Besides, I use clothes washing detergent that looks like dryer sheets. No big plastic container to trash and it is as good as no fragrance All. And it come in the mail once a year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2022, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
6,070 posts, read 9,040,069 times
Reputation: 2910
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
In the 60s and 70s Minyard's was a suburban chain, very average in quality, like Affiliated or such. When Safeway left Dallas, Minyard's bought up a bunch of Safeway stores and converted them to high-end Minyard's. They had a pretty good run - maybe 20 years - but with Whole Foods, Tom Thumb, and eventually Central Market playing in that high-end market, they couldn't keep up.
I remember when Minyard's began opening brand new full service grocery stores in the late 90s. They had over 50 stores at their peak in the early 2000s. I don’t think the company that bought them did any additional upgrades or anything of significance to their existing stores. National Chains tend to destroy local chains.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2022, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
6,070 posts, read 9,040,069 times
Reputation: 2910
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
We'll see what happens: the Tom Thumb stores, even in their 2020's enormous design, are still closer to being neighborhood stores than the gargantuan elephantine Kroger stores with their two variations of any product, only available in "First Army Mess Hall" sizes. On the other hand it doesn't seem, what with the razor thin margins of the grocery business, that Kroger-Albertsons would keep competing stores so close to each other. I guess the last human-scaled Tom Thumbs in Snider Plaza and Preston Center are doomed.

I wonder if anyone's ever going to open a chain of normal-sized grocery stores again.
Tom Thumb opened newer smaller stores like Preston Center and Snider Plaza in 2016ish. They’re more modern looking and gives more of a boutique feel (due to the size). One is in Turtle Creek and the other is in Lakewood on Gaston. Even though they’re small, they still have a full service deli, bakery, and meat/seafood dept.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2022, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Sunnybrook Farm
2,055 posts, read 868,586 times
Reputation: 6148
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Do you have a Sprout's? In and out in 10 minutes. They have pretty good bakery and meat dept, very good produce @ good prices. They don't carry aisles of sugar cereal, soda or cleaning products. Some, but not 10 different sizes of the same detergent. Besides, I use clothes washing detergent that looks like dryer sheets. No big plastic container to trash and it is as good as no fragrance All. And it come in the mail once a year.
Their basic foods are really good, but all the other stuff you buy at the grocery is pretty limited. At Tom Thumb (or Kroger) I can buy AAA batteries, a spiral notebook, toilet bowl cleaner, dog food, paper plates, charcoal briquettes, beer, etc. - Sprouts probably has all this stuff but far fewer selections and generally oddball brands; they're focused on the food only. So if I were to start shopping at Sprouts I'd still need to go somewhere else for other stuff most likely.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2022, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
2,382 posts, read 1,806,903 times
Reputation: 3644
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Their basic foods are really good, but all the other stuff you buy at the grocery is pretty limited. At Tom Thumb (or Kroger) I can buy AAA batteries, a spiral notebook, toilet bowl cleaner, dog food, paper plates, charcoal briquettes, beer, etc. - Sprouts probably has all this stuff but far fewer selections and generally oddball brands; they're focused on the food only. So if I were to start shopping at Sprouts I'd still need to go somewhere else for other stuff most likely.
Exactly. I don't have time on a regular basis to hit multiple stores so I usually go to Tom Thumb or Albertson's for everyday shopping. For special meals, I go to Central Market. I occasionally go to Sams or Costco to stock up on certain things such as milk, butter, toilet paper, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2022, 08:35 AM
 
20,967 posts, read 12,613,916 times
Reputation: 11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Their basic foods are really good, but all the other stuff you buy at the grocery is pretty limited. At Tom Thumb (or Kroger) I can buy AAA batteries, a spiral notebook, toilet bowl cleaner, dog food, paper plates, charcoal briquettes, beer, etc. - Sprouts probably has all this stuff but far fewer selections and generally oddball brands; they're focused on the food only. So if I were to start shopping at Sprouts I'd still need to go somewhere else for other stuff most likely.
Costco, especially for batteries and paper plates. Iirc, they carry charcoal. The beer is limited, good prices on wine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2022, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Dallas
511 posts, read 234,092 times
Reputation: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Do you have a Sprout's? In and out in 10 minutes. They have pretty good bakery and meat dept, very good produce @ good prices. They don't carry aisles of sugar cereal, soda or cleaning products. Some, but not 10 different sizes of the same detergent. Besides, I use clothes washing detergent that looks like dryer sheets. No big plastic container to trash and it is as good as no fragrance All. And it come in the mail once a year.
But they are more expensive. Although it takes more time, I like TJ for regular goods, but Sprouts for produce. TJ produce goes bad fast.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2022, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,768 posts, read 3,781,522 times
Reputation: 864
I would welcome it if it gives Kroger an entry into Austin. HEB has a near-monopoly here, and Kroger can hopefully give some competition.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2022, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Sunnybrook Farm
2,055 posts, read 868,586 times
Reputation: 6148
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Costco, especially for batteries and paper plates. Iirc, they carry charcoal. The beer is limited, good prices on wine.
Nope. Not gonna do Costco. If I dislike the enormous Kroger stores, why would I want to double down on that and go to a gargantuan warehouse where everything comes by the pallet (not literally, of course)?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2022, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Tricity, PL
54,542 posts, read 76,245,293 times
Reputation: 120863
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Besides, I use clothes washing detergent that looks like dryer sheets. No big plastic container to trash and it is as good as no fragrance All. And it come in the mail once a year.
I did look into it and wasn't impressed. In my opinion nothing beats Persil powder
Aren't those clothes sheets combined with fabric softener?

https://www.consumerreports.org/appl...w-a8916087070/

I do monitor Sprouts weekly ad, but seldom see a reason to make 34 mile R/T to the store (San Antonio).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top