U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-15-2022, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Houston/Austin, TX
8,065 posts, read 4,503,417 times
Reputation: 4966

Advertisements

With Albertsons Companies getting taken over from Kroger, is this it for these two Texas grocery brands?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2022, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Tricity, PL
54,434 posts, read 76,103,254 times
Reputation: 120654
I am not particularly happy about such merger - it will give too much market power to one big giant.
This will definitely affect other stores.
I wonder if this has something to do with HEB expansion.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2022, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
6,052 posts, read 9,021,865 times
Reputation: 2901
That’s if this merger goes through. Many are already calling this a monopoly. Tom Thumb is much stronger in DFW than the Albertsons brand. Tom Thumb isn’t struggling like Randall’s. Tom Thumb has opened new stores in Dallas proper. So, I can see them divesting Randall’s.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2022, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Houston/Austin, TX
8,065 posts, read 4,503,417 times
Reputation: 4966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
That’s if this merger goes through. Many are already calling this a monopoly. Tom Thumb is much stronger in DFW than the Albertsons brand. Tom Thumb isn’t struggling like Randall’s. Tom Thumb has opened new stores in Dallas proper. So, I can see them divesting Randall’s.
Any monopoly claims will be laughed at due to the fact that Walmart exists. The merger will almost certainly be approved. Most likely, Kroger is going to rebrand all their stores into Kroger because part of the deal was to enter markets they didn’t currently have access to such as Austin. Overall, Albertsons wasn’t doing too good with some exceptions. Almost any market that had a decent amount of competition, the Albertsons stores were a distant competitor. With HEB entering DFW, this was going to severely tap into their success. One of the reasons it worked well in DFW because of the Walmart Wonderland that exists there. Almost any market that has both Albertsons and Kroger, Kroger is the stronger brand.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2022, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Houston
1,251 posts, read 607,062 times
Reputation: 1647
There was an article on this yesterday in the DMN. Dallas, Seattle, and Denver will be the most impacted cities. Expect a lot of store closures. The article said every Tom Thumb store in Dallas is within a mile of a Kroger - and there are 60 of them.

The article said HEB could end up purchasing some of those existing stores, and that was not their original strategy.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2022, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
6,052 posts, read 9,021,865 times
Reputation: 2901
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Any monopoly claims will be laughed at due to the fact that Walmart exists. The merger will almost certainly be approved. Most likely, Kroger is going to rebrand all their stores into Kroger because part of the deal was to enter markets they didn’t currently have access to such as Austin. Overall, Albertsons wasn’t doing too good with some exceptions. Almost any market that had a decent amount of competition, the Albertsons stores were a distant competitor. With HEB entering DFW, this was going to severely tap into their success. One of the reasons it worked well in DFW because of the Walmart Wonderland that exists there. Almost any market that has both Albertsons and Kroger, Kroger is the stronger brand.
I’m more so talking about nationally. Walmart isn’t as big in DFW as it is in other states. Kroger-Albertsons will have a 44.6% market share in the Denver market, with Walmart (its closest competitor) 16.6% market share. Just for them to merge, they’ll have to divest a lot of stores. There’s significant overlap with Tom Thumb, Market Street, Albertsons, and Kroger. We may end up with a lot more closed stores than we realize to get the merger done, which may be very unpopular if the area is a food desert. I’ve already heard that the 100-375 stores they’re expecting to divest is too low.

In The Metroplex, Kroger-Albertsons will have 28% market share, beating out the market leader — Walmart at around 25%.

Last edited by Dallaz; 10-15-2022 at 04:13 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2022, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Houston
1,251 posts, read 607,062 times
Reputation: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I’m more so talking about nationally. Walmart isn’t as big in DFW as it is in other states. Kroger-Albertsons will have a 44.6% market share in the Denver market, with Walmart (its closest competitor) 16.6% market share. Just for them to merge, they’ll have to divest a lot of stores. There’s significant overlap with Tom Thumb, Market Street, Albertsons, and Kroger. We may end up with a lot more closed stores than we realize to get the merger done, which may be very unpopular if the area is a food desert. I’ve already heard that the 100-375 stores they’re expecting to divest is too low.

In The Metroplex, Kroger-Albertsons will have 28% market share, beating out the market leader — Walmart at around 25%.
Sam’s Club has 7% market share too…so Walmart still leads.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2022, 07:01 PM
 
Location: San Diego CA>Tijuana, BC>San Antonio, TX
6,054 posts, read 6,432,902 times
Reputation: 6072
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
There was an article on this yesterday in the DMN. Dallas, Seattle, and Denver will be the most impacted cities. Expect a lot of store closures. The article said every Tom Thumb store in Dallas is within a mile of a Kroger - and there are 60 of them.

The article said HEB could end up purchasing some of those existing stores, and that was not their original strategy.
Yes, I heard this as well. Kroger will be forced to sell off some of it's new stores by the govt in order to avoid creating store closures that might cause food deserts.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2022, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Kaufman County, Texas
11,309 posts, read 24,780,548 times
Reputation: 9761
Maybe this is the catalyst that will finally convince HEB to fully expand into DFW? Ive always heard that they were wary of the huge market share that Walmart has in our grocery market,and that’s why they wouldn’t come into DFW full force.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2022, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
2,380 posts, read 1,799,763 times
Reputation: 3632
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
There was an article on this yesterday in the DMN. Dallas, Seattle, and Denver will be the most impacted cities. Expect a lot of store closures. The article said every Tom Thumb store in Dallas is within a mile of a Kroger - and there are 60 of them.

The article said HEB could end up purchasing some of those existing stores, and that was not their original strategy.
Not in Fort Worth. I have no idea where the nearest Kroger is. The closest store is an Albertsons but I usually bypass it to shop at Tom Thumb. I'd love to have an HEB but the nearest one is more than 20 minutes away.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top