Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 04:36 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
LOL The top of that list looks like the people I work with and oversee in my line of work in the energy industry. My pay is significantly more than that Indian household income and I couldn’t have done it without my degree from A&M to get my foot in the door in 2004. (UT or UH would’ve worked just as well.) It’s a poor whites mentality that equates a STEM degree with useless 57 gender studies. The degree is absolutely worth having- and nowadays you’ll need a masters to compete with these Asians. YT, take note. BTW I know firsthand the reason whites are losing is because they’d rather chase the latest business scheme / scam incompetently on debt and be fake, rather than put in half the effort Asians do.
Racist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 06:09 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,240,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Racist
That’s another thing…… You never see the Asian ethnic groups on the top of that list crying racism. Why? They’re too busy learning, making money, investing, inventing, staying healthy and raising even smarter kids.

Don’t underestimate how tight the Indian or Chinese or Filipino, etc communities are.

BTW you know what the “white community” is? A nationalist hate group.

Old 10-24-2022, 06:34 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Ethnic breakdown at Texas' top universities.

Rice - 7,643
White-37%
Asian-24%
Hispanic-14%
International-12%
Black-7%
MultiRacial-4%
Unreported-2%

UT Austin - 51,991
White- 36.7%
Hispanic- 24.2%
Asian-20.6%
International-9.1%
Black-5.2%
MultiRacial-2.7%
Unreported-1.3%

Source-https://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/texas/rice-university/students/ & https://www.utexas.edu/about/diversi...-and-inclusion

20% and 24% Asian is really high considering that group only accounts for 5% of the state's population, of course not everyone one is an in-state student.

Texas A&M College Station - 68,596
White 55.22%
Hispanic 22.12%
Asian 8.21%
International 7.72%
Multi-Ethnic 2.97%
Black or African American 2.84%
Unknown 0.68%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander 0.06%

https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...diversity.html

Old 10-24-2022, 07:33 PM

573 posts, read 335,404 times
Quote:
If you compare the Indian population in America to the Indian population in India you will find that far more Indian Americans go to college than Indians in India. This is because in order for an Indian to come to America they pretty much have to be college educated, and usually not just college educated but incredibly smart. Of course not all Indian Americans were born in India but it would make sense they push their children to go that route as well.

You said non white people get college degrees more than white people. This is not the case for the groups that have been in America the longest.

Affirmative action has nothing to do with employment. Yes, an employer will choose an immigrant over an American, or an American over an immigrant. Ultimately, the employer can choose whoever they want. I don't see your point. I am talking about affirmative action in regards to college. Since non whites go to college more than whites (according to you), you would think there would be affirmative action in schools to benefit whites.
Why would I compare Indians in India going to college vs Indians in the US going to college in the US? I never made that comparison and neither did the US census chart in median income of various ethnic groups. There is no point to that as the US doesn't do a census of India.

The group that has been in the US the longest is Native Americans, then Hispanics. So what's your point again?

Affirmative action applies to any comapny that does business (50 or more employees and certain revenue) with the US govt which is many. Airlines, banks, construction companies, Boeing, etc. So yes, affirmative action applies to employment. Other companies can voluntarily have affirmative action plans if they wish. Also, quotas for college admission we're ruled illegal by the Supreme Court in the 70s. You clearly don't know anything about affirmative action (Republican R. Nixon also defended affirmative action and expanded it), so there is no point to having any conversation about it unless you learn about it. Hint: there are no quotas.

"Since non whites go to college more than whites (according to you), you would think there would be affirmative action in schools to benefit whites"

I don't think that. You may, but I don't because I understand it. As for non whites going to college, there have been posts already like malcorub16.

So why are whites making less median income than non whites? White parents not encouraging their children to go to college the same as non white parents? What is it?

It's not about being denied admission. E.g. Pickens at OSU.

As a reminder you wrote:
"I think the more accurate statement would be that immigrants typically have bachelors degrees more than Americans that were born in America. There is a reason that affirmative action exists."

Old 10-24-2022, 09:02 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
If you compare the Indian population in America to the Indian population in India you will find that far more Indian Americans go to college than Indians in India. This is because in order for an Indian to come to America they pretty much have to be college educated, and usually not just college educated but incredibly smart. Of course not all Indian Americans were born in India but it would make sense they push their children to go that route as well.
Yes, I suspect the majority of Indian immigrants come in on H1-B visas which are specialty occupation visas sponsored by employers. So we are talking about

Primary care doctors recruited by inner-city residency programs
Software engineers recruited by tech companies like Apple and Google
Mechanical engineers recruited by aerospace companies and the like

Those types of employers are going to have their pick of the very very top Indian college grads from the very top Indian universities and grad schools. Essentially the top 1% of the top 1% of the top 1%.

And the native-born non immigrant Indian Americans are going to be the children and grandchildren of those types.

Completely different from say Central American rural campesinos who arrive with a 3rd grade education to work landscaping and custodial jobs.

Old 10-24-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
Why would I compare Indians in India going to college vs Indians in the US going to college in the US? I never made that comparison and neither did the US census chart in median income of various ethnic groups. There is no point to that as the US doesn't do a census of India.

The group that has been in the US the longest is Native Americans, then Hispanics. So what's your point again?

Affirmative action applies to any comapny that does business (50 or more employees and certain revenue) with the US govt which is many. Airlines, banks, construction companies, Boeing, etc. So yes, affirmative action applies to employment. Other companies can voluntarily have affirmative action plans if they wish. Also, quotas for college admission we're ruled illegal by the Supreme Court in the 70s. You clearly don't know anything about affirmative action (Republican R. Nixon also defended affirmative action and expanded it), so there is no point to having any conversation about it unless you learn about it. Hint: there are no quotas.

"Since non whites go to college more than whites (according to you), you would think there would be affirmative action in schools to benefit whites"

I don't think that. You may, but I don't because I understand it. As for non whites going to college, there have been posts already like malcorub16.

So why are whites making less median income than non whites? White parents not encouraging their children to go to college the same as non white parents? What is it?

It's not about being denied admission. E.g. Pickens at OSU.

As a reminder you wrote:
"I think the more accurate statement would be that immigrants typically have bachelors degrees more than Americans that were born in America. There is a reason that affirmative action exists."
Quote:
In 1976, white students made up over 80% of all U.S. college students. By 2016, that number had dropped to 57%.

Affirmative action has played a central role in increasing diversity in higher education. The clearest proof comes from states like California that ended affirmative action in admissions. A 2013 study reported a 23% drop in students of color at top public colleges following an affirmative action ban.

Yet most Americans disapprove of affirmative action in college admissions, believing that schools should only consider merit — even if it means admitting fewer students of color.

To Shirley J. Wilcher, executive director of the American Association for Access, Equity, and Diversity, the key word in affirmative action is "action."

"Affirmative action has taken on negative connotations through the media and those that would like to do away with it or oppose the concept, but the impetus is on action, not nondiscrimination," Wilcher told Smithsonian Magazine.
https://www.bestcolleges.com/news/an...ction-college/

Btw, what do I care if Nixon supported it?

Old 10-24-2022, 09:12 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._and_ethnicity

White per capita income - $36692

Asian per capita income - $40878

The other races don't even come close. I don't understand any of your assertions...

Old 10-25-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
https://www.bestcolleges.com/news/an...ction-college/

Btw, what do I care if Nixon supported it?
Again, what is your point?

From the same link you posted:

"However, affirmative action in admissions only applies to selective institutions. According to a 2019 Pew Research Center study, most U.S. colleges accept over two-thirds of their applicants.

Today, many colleges consider race a single part of their holistic review of applicants. In other states, laws bar colleges from using affirmative action in admissions."

"With civil rights activists urging schools to admit more Black applicants, colleges responded. Higher education had been almost exclusively white for most of its history, but a growing number of universities were now crafting affirmative action policies in an effort to expand access to higher education."

"These early legal challenges created a negative perception of affirmative action. In 1975, Harvard's associate dean of admissions, David L. Evans, complained about the pervasive belief that "semiliterate blacks are being accepted at the expense of white geniuses" — which simply was not true."

"Voters have also weighed in on affirmative action policies. In 1996, California voters approved Proposition 209, which banned affirmative action at public colleges and universities."

So again, how has affirmative action affected you or anyone you know? How has affirmative action prevented you from going to a college of your choice? How has affirmative action kept you or someone you know from being successful?

And again, how does affirmative action explain the median income of other ethnicities being higher than whites?

As a reminder you wrote:

-What groups were in the US longer than Native Americans and Hispanics? You still didn't answer this.
-How are the college loans or people competing for jobs the opposite of capitalism "lol"?
-Where does it say that in the US Census median income by ethnicity are not Americans?
-What does citizens of India going to college or not in India have anything to do with Indian-Americans going to college in the US?
-How does "Affirmative action has nothing to do with employment."? as you wrote if you read an iota of anything about affirmative action?

Old 10-25-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._and_ethnicity

White per capita income - $36692

Asian per capita income - $40878

The other races don't even come close. I don't understand any of your assertions...
From the chart posted by elnina, and based on common knowledge:
Indians are asian. Filipino are asian. Tawainese are asian. Sri Lanken are asian. Japanese are asian. Malaysian are asian. Chinese are asian. Pakastani are asian. Indonesians are asian. Koreans are asian. Thai are asian. Cambodians are asian. Bangaladeshi are asian. Vientamese are asian. Nepali are asian. Hmong are asian, and etc.

From your wikipedia link - what are the "other races don't even come close."?
Because the only ones listed in the category (the column titled "Alone") you posted about were Asian, White, African American, and "Some other race". Hispanic and "not hispanic" were blank. Are you so proud that white americans are earning more than african-americans and "some other race" and they "don't even come close."?

So what's your point again? Is it some fault of these non-white americans that they make more than white americans? Is it still your belief that all these are just immigrants and/or illegal immigrants and they are not truly "americans" (true americans are the Native Americans BTW)? Also, Native Americans are decedent from asians and the longest group in the Americas.

It definitely doesn't counter elnina's post which listed all the different asian-american ethnicities that make more the white americans.

So what's your point?

Old 10-25-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
Again, what is your point?

From the same link you posted:

"However, affirmative action in admissions only applies to selective institutions. According to a 2019 Pew Research Center study, most U.S. colleges accept over two-thirds of their applicants.

Today, many colleges consider race a single part of their holistic review of applicants. In other states, laws bar colleges from using affirmative action in admissions."

"With civil rights activists urging schools to admit more Black applicants, colleges responded. Higher education had been almost exclusively white for most of its history, but a growing number of universities were now crafting affirmative action policies in an effort to expand access to higher education."

"These early legal challenges created a negative perception of affirmative action. In 1975, Harvard's associate dean of admissions, David L. Evans, complained about the pervasive belief that "semiliterate blacks are being accepted at the expense of white geniuses" — which simply was not true."

"Voters have also weighed in on affirmative action policies. In 1996, California voters approved Proposition 209, which banned affirmative action at public colleges and universities."

So again, how has affirmative action affected you or anyone you know? How has affirmative action prevented you from going to a college of your choice? How has affirmative action kept you or someone you know from being successful?

And again, how does affirmative action explain the median income of other ethnicities being higher than whites?

As a reminder you wrote:

-What groups were in the US longer than Native Americans and Hispanics? You still didn't answer this.
-How are the college loans or people competing for jobs the opposite of capitalism "lol"?
-Where does it say that in the US Census median income by ethnicity are not Americans?
-What does citizens of India going to college or not in India have anything to do with Indian-Americans going to college in the US?
-How does "Affirmative action has nothing to do with employment."? as you wrote if you read an iota of anything about affirmative action?
I am a quarter Hispanic so I put Hispanic on my college applications. Because of this I got into schools my white friends wouldn’t have gotten into with my scores. Black people would need even lower test scores to get the same chance of getting into those schools. This is definitely a problem imo.

Government subsidizing student loans is not capitalism.

My point about Indian Americans is that the reason they are more likely to go to college is because America only gets the top producing Indians coming from India. They are all going to be college educated. College educated people are more likely to push their kids to do the same thing. There are lots of whites, blacks, Hispanics, and natives that have never had a member of their family even attend college… so it would make sense that immigrants that can only come to this country in the first place with a degree and their kids will be more likely to go to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas