U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 05:52 PM

17,314 posts, read 23,464,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
You are welcome and please join in for voting Red - its the right thing to do
Sorry, I’m not brainwashed, but thanks for the offer

For the people that don’t know … that’s being passive aggressive
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 06:00 PM

20,229 posts, read 31,609,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmexicocowboy View Post
i will never vote for a democrat because they want to take away my guns.
all you can do is just laugh at this. laugh uncontrollably.

Old 11-04-2022, 06:19 PM

482 posts, read 311,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That is a valid argument in my opinion. I used to feel confident that when I voted Republican it was a vote for fiscal conservative policies and support of the second amendment. Now Republicans are as bad as Democrats at spending money we do not have. Second amendment rights are the only thing that really differs to me. I mean the Democrats have gone mad with talk of universal guaranteed income and the like. Why can't either party nominate someone under 70, who isn't a white dude?

Old 11-04-2022, 07:35 PM

13,110 posts, read 26,463,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
That is a valid argument in my opinion. I used to feel confident that when I voted Republican it was a vote for fiscal conservative policies and support of the second amendment. Now Republicans are as bad as Democrats at spending money we do not have. Second amendment rights are the only thing that really differs to me. I mean the Democrats have gone mad with talk of universal guaranteed income and the like. Why can't either party nominate someone under 70, who isn't a white dude?
UBI and abolishing the 2A are NOT mainstream Democrat platform points. Those are talking points from Fox News’ opinion/ “entertainment” shows. Have you even read the Texas Democrat Party platform & compared it to the Texas Republican Party platform? One party has “gone mad” and it’s not the Democrats.

The existential threat to democracy is the party that does not recognize the 2020 Presidential results, believes Biden is the “acting” president, pledged fealty to Donald Trump, and stormed the Capitol on January 6, 2021.

FWIW, I voted 95% straight ticket Republican in every election from 1996 to 2016. In 2016, I voted for Hilary because I knew Trump would be as bad as he was - and hoped the other Republicans would hold him check somehow. From 2018 on, I am voting near straight ticket Democrat in hopes of purging this new brand of Republicanism.

Agree 1,000% about needing younger, more diverse candidates though.

Old 11-06-2022, 10:37 AM

6,559 posts, read 8,113,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It made me laugh also. When someone says that, it is best to just leave the argument with that person and let them be.

Old 11-06-2022, 03:37 PM

923 posts, read 295,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
It made me laugh also. When someone says that, it is best to just leave the argument with that person and let them be.
Yep, and passing a Civics test won't change that.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:44 AM

17,314 posts, read 23,464,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicoCowboy View Post
I will never vote for a democrat because they want to take away my guns.
I don't vote republican because they are going to force us to go to church every Sunday

Old 11-07-2022, 09:26 AM

16,164 posts, read 14,677,227 times
Let's add a little nuance to newmexicocowboy's claim about guns and the subsequent dog-pile.

1. It's just a lie to claim that important elements of the progressive left, big city left, left leaning press and academic/legal left do not strongly desire exceptional new limits on the 2A and some outright repeal.

2. Wonder-boy Beto has only recently softened his AR-15 (and similar firearms) forced buy-back stance in order to win a few votes.

3. Retired Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens wrote forcefully to abolish the 2A.

4. "The Economist" ran a poll a while back that found 21% of Americans favor abolishing the 2A.

It's intellectually weak to pile on newmexicocowboy because his post wasn't nuanced enough for some of you. Who knows he may only own AR-15s...............many on the left really do want to confiscate such.

You may laugh, finger point and smear the guy all you want fact is his point is rooted in reality. The pat deflections and reflexive denials are only that.

ETA - found polls by Pew and others that support the ~21% bit above.

Last edited by EDS_; 11-07-2022 at 10:56 AM..

Old 11-07-2022, 11:29 AM

923 posts, read 295,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Let's add a little nuance to newmexicocowboy's claim about guns and the subsequent dog-pile.

1. It's just a lie to claim that important elements of the progressive left, big city left, left leaning press and academic/legal left do not strongly desire exceptional new limits on the 2A and some outright repeal.

2. Wonder-boy Beto has only recently softened his AR-15 (and similar firearms) forced buy-back stance in order to win a few votes.

3. Retired Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens wrote forcefully to abolish the 2A.

4. "The Economist" ran a poll a while back that found 21% of Americans favor abolishing the 2A.

It's intellectually weak to pile on newmexicocowboy because his post wasn't nuanced enough for some of you. Who knows he may only own AR-15s...............many on the left really do want to confiscate such.

You may laugh, finger point and smear the guy all you want fact is his point is rooted in reality. The pat deflections and reflexive denials are only that.

ETA - found polls by Pew and others that support the ~21% bit above.

Wow... You found polls. That's certainly validates everything.

Old 11-07-2022, 11:40 AM

16,164 posts, read 14,677,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Wow... You found polls. That's certainly validates everything.
1. Noted.........deflection seems to be all you guys have.

2. For the record, I noted sources other than polls and I could post many others too.

3. Ever notice the weaker someone's argument or post the more likely they are to insert something like rolleyes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas