U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where will Texas' population max out?
40+ million 9 26.47%
50+ million 15 44.12%
60+ million 10 29.41%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 12:45 PM

3,179 posts, read 1,437,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
It's not hard to say at all. The stats are all there.

El Paso: 5604sq miles ( El Paso and Hudspeth Counties)

2000- 680K
2010- 804K
2020- 869k

RGV:

*McAllen/ Hidalgo County - 1571 sq miles
2000- 569K
2010- 775K
2020- 871K

*Brownsville/Cameron County - 1602 sq miles
2000- 325 K
2010- 406K
2020- 421K

RGV already has 500k lead on El Paso, I am not sure where the El Paso has a head start comment is coming from. RGV is already more populated than El Paso by over 50% and it's growing twice as fast. McAllen alone has passed El Paso! Beaches, mountains GDP and all of that is nice, but the OP asked about future growth. I would put my money on RGV.
Out of curiosity I looked up to see if Brownsville and McAllen were a CSA and it didn't have them listed but El Paso-Las Cruces was with a 2020 population 1,088,420. I thought that odd because looking at maps of both areas, there are many towns that appear to touch each other between McAllen and Brownsville and you'd think that they'd be a CSA. Maybe there's more commuting between Las Cruces and El Paso than between McAllen and Brownsville.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 01:15 PM

2,775 posts, read 1,578,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
El Paso is part of the El Paso–Las Cruces, Texas–New Mexico combined statistical area and has a population of over a million as well. RGV and EP metro areas aren't that far off from each other.

There is plenty of room for growth in RGV, it's over a 70 mile drive from McAllen to SPI.

Even then the El paso CSA is 30% smaller than the RGV area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Out of curiosity I looked up to see if Brownsville and McAllen were a CSA and it didn't have them listed but El Paso-Las Cruces was with a 2020 population 1,088,420. I thought that odd because looking at maps of both areas, there are many towns that appear to touch each other between McAllen and Brownsville and you'd think that they'd be a CSA. Maybe there's more commuting between Las Cruces and El Paso than between McAllen and Brownsville.
I have not looked at the #s but I guess the commuting percentage doesn't yet qualify to combine the 2.

McAllen does have a CSA but it is with Rio Grande City, not Brownsville, which also has a CSA. The EP CSA is bigger than the McAllen CSA, but since we are dealing with Texas population, I didn't use NM #s. Both El Paso and RGV has large trans-border #s too.

Old 11-10-2022, 01:15 PM

6,052 posts, read 6,431,302 times
^ Juarez has a population of 2.5 million people bigger than both Reynosa and Matamoros combined. It does make El Paso feel much bigger than it actually is being that Juarez is visible from almost anywhere in El Paso. There is definitely more people in a smaller area in El Paso, Juarez and Las Cruses where as RGV towns and their Mexican city counterparts are just so spread out from one another. Both have had a lot of growth, just in different ways.

Old 11-10-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
^ Juarez has a population of 2.5 million people bigger than both Reynosa and Matamoros combined. There is definitely more people in a smaller area in El Paso, Juarez and Las Cruses where as RGV towns and their Mexican city counterparts are just so spread out from one another. Both have had a lot of growth, just in different ways.
True, but again we are talking about Texas populations.
Reynosa, Juarez and Las Cruces are not in Texas.

In Texas McAllen metro is bigger than El Paso.
If we are talking about how big Texas will get based on certain areas we cannot include Mexico and New Mexico.

Old 11-10-2022, 01:25 PM

6,052 posts, read 6,431,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
True, but again we are talking about Texas populations.
Reynosa, Juarez and Las Cruces are not in Texas.

In Texas McAllen metro is bigger than El Paso.
If we are talking about how big Texas will get based on certain areas we cannot include Mexico and New Mexico.
Good point. Topic is Texas population.

Old 11-14-2022, 01:07 PM

9 posts, read 5,410 times
I've never got why RGV is more populated than Laredo, it's kinda isolated because it doesn't have an important interstate, it has I-2 but it is a short interstate comparing to I-35 which is an interstate that connects a lot of states from Duluth to Laredo and beyond the border, there is a Mexican highway that connects important cities like Monterrey, Saltillo, Torreon, SLP, Queretaro, among others. South of Reynosa and Matamoros there is nothing.

Old 11-14-2022, 01:56 PM

3,179 posts, read 1,437,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orl.avila View Post
I've never got why RGV is more populated than Laredo, it's kinda isolated because it doesn't have an important interstate, it has I-2 but it is a short interstate comparing to I-35 which is an interstate that connects a lot of states from Duluth to Laredo and beyond the border, there is a Mexican highway that connects important cities like Monterrey, Saltillo, Torreon, SLP, Queretaro, among others. South of Reynosa and Matamoros there is nothing.
I see what you're saying. It'd seem like Laredo's metro would be larger considering it being such an important city for trade. Then again, and I don't know this for sure but maybe Brownsville, McAllen and Harlingen may have partnered up to recruit business and industry to the RGV and as a result attracted more people. Correct me if I'm wrong. I do wonder if there are any plans to extend I-2 all the way to Laredo? It's going to be interesting about the long term growth trends in the areas from San Antonio all the way up to Waco. I remember reading about Waco and the Killeen/Temple areas one day becoming a CSA as well as big growth is predicted from Temple down to Georgetown. One thing's for sure. Traffic along I-35 will be even more of a headache or a migraine. We know that the Texas Triangle (DFW, Houston, San Antonio and Austin) will continue to be the heart of our economy. Out of the western metros (Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa) which do you think is better prepared or has the best future in regards to growth and sustainability?

Last edited by brock2010; 11-14-2022 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: Added info

Old 11-15-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orl.avila View Post
South of Reynosa and Matamoros may be sparse, but those are still sizeable cities. The two together have about 1.6 million people while N Laredo has about 450K.

Also, something that we are not factoring in the discussion is that the fact that Laredo is on a major highway and connects a huge Mexican Metro to the huge Texas ones may be more of a negative than a positive.

I would imagine that if I was trying to be incognito and travel through Mexico into Texas I wouldn't pick the busiest areas to go through.

It makes a lot of sense to us to focus on growth along major highways because we are thinking from a US metro to US metro perspective. But the bulk of migrants looking to live in these border towns are not coming from major metros. I for one world definitely not leave Monterrey for Laredo.

Old 11-15-2022, 01:45 PM

3,501 posts, read 2,196,829 times
Why would you rather live in Monterey than Laredo? Do you really think McAllen or Brownsville are that much better?

Old 11-15-2022, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Why would you rather live in Monterey than Laredo? Do you really think McAllen or Brownsville are that much better?
I would rather live in Monterrey than any border town.
Why would you live in one of those towns over Monterrey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas