Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where will Texas' population max out?
40+ million 10 27.78%
50+ million 16 44.44%
60+ million 10 27.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2022, 01:55 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
As long as those airports down there only go to Dallas and Houston and IH69 doesn't hurry up and get finished, I don't lots of outsiders moving into RGV. I would venture to say that North and Central Texans would probably rather live in Oklahoma before they move within the state to RGV.
Lots of outsiders are already moving to RGV.
Like I said earlier the get a lot of international migrants. Can't imagine being more outsider than that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2022, 07:38 PM

3,888 posts, read 2,202,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Lots of outsiders are already moving to RGV.
Like I said earlier the get a lot of international migrants. Can't imagine being more outsider than that
Also I've heard that a lot of people from northern cities and cities in Canada spend their winters in the RGV.

Old 11-09-2022, 08:08 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
They are called “winter Texans”

Old 11-09-2022, 09:21 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Also I've heard that a lot of people from northern cities and cities in Canada spend their winters in the RGV.
Winter Texans have been coming to RGV for decades now, they help it grow but not by much. I see the same "Snow Bird" types in Yuma, Arizona across the different RV parks. RGV will grow, but with how disconnected and isolated it is, I don't see it attracting very much people from North of South Texas in the next 20 years. The places with the largest growth in recent years all had good airports and were up and coming economies like Phoenix, Austin, Nashville and North Dallas.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:37 PM

718 posts, read 397,932 times
Quote:
Winter Texans have been coming to RGV for decades now, they help it grow but not by much. I see the same "Snow Bird" types in Yuma, Arizona across the different RV parks. RGV will grow, but with how disconnected and isolated it is, I don't see it attracting very much people from North of South Texas in the next 20 years. The places with the largest growth in recent years all had good airports and were up and coming economies like Phoenix, Austin, Nashville and North Dallas.
I knew some people who spent their winters in South Padre Island when i was a little kid.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:53 PM

3,888 posts, read 2,202,603 times
Quote:
As far as growth is concerned do you think RGV has a better future than El Paso or are they in the same boat? Of all the big cities in the state I don't hear about it much. It seems to have more in common with places like Tucson or Albuquerque than say any of Texas'big 4. It's even in a different time zone.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:13 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
As far as growth is concerned do you think RGV has a better future than El Paso or are they in the same boat? Of all the big cities in the state I don't hear about it much. It seems to have more in common with places like Tucson or Albuquerque than say any of Texas'big 4. It's even in a different time zone.
The Spaceport is apparently leading to a mini-business boom in Brownsville. Don't know if it's gonna affect the population but, I'm sure GDP will grow somewhat. It being next to South Padre probably doesn't hurt either, it remains to be seen however as all of this development isn't captured by the Census so there's no way to know how real it is yet.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:56 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
Quote:
Hard to say. El Paso has the mountains close by and RGV has the beach. El Paso got a good head start but RGV seems to be catching up. Either place could attract people. El Paso might be in a better position to grow imo, just cause I think they are more open to change.

Old 11-10-2022, 10:53 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Hard to say. El Paso has the mountains close by and RGV has the beach. El Paso got a good head start but RGV seems to be catching up.
It's not hard to say at all. The stats are all there.

El Paso: 5604sq miles ( El Paso and Hudspeth Counties)

2000- 680K
2010- 804K
2020- 869k

RGV:

*McAllen/ Hidalgo County - 1571 sq miles
2000- 569K
2010- 775K
2020- 871K

*Brownsville/Cameron County - 1602 sq miles
2000- 325 K
2010- 406K
2020- 421K

RGV already has 500k lead on El Paso, I am not sure where the El Paso has a head start comment is coming from. RGV is already more populated than El Paso by over 50% and it's growing twice as fast. McAllen alone has passed El Paso! Beaches, mountains GDP and all of that is nice, but the OP asked about future growth. I would put my money on RGV.

Old 11-10-2022, 11:39 AM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
RGV already has 500k lead on El Paso, I am not sure where the El Paso has a head start comment is coming from. RGV is already more populated than El Paso by over 50% and it's growing twice as fast. McAllen alone has passed El Paso! Beaches, mountains GDP and all of that is nice, but the OP asked about future growth. I would put my money on RGV.
El Paso is part of the El Paso–Las Cruces, Texas–New Mexico combined statistical area and has a population of over a million as well. RGV and EP metro areas aren't that far off from each other.

There is plenty of room for growth in RGV, it's over a 70 mile drive from McAllen to SPI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas