Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2007, 10:47 PM

267 posts, read 1,835,852 times

Advertisements

Hi yall.
I live here in Houston (born and raised and ready to get out) and my husband has lived in houston for the past 20 years but grew up in Amarillo. He's always going on and on about how great Amarillo is and the best place to raise a family, everyone is friendly, etc. Mind you, the last time he's been there was back in the early 90's to visit a friend and I'm sure its changed quite a bit.

What's it like today? How are the people, jobs, entertainment, scenery, weather, etc? We might go there this summer, since I've never been and he wants to show me the place he grew up.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 06:58 AM

40 posts, read 201,107 times
I grew up there and I just got back from there for Christmas vacation. I've been in Dallas 10 years and everytime I go back I realize I could never move back. I'm sure I've changed over those 10 years, but Amarillo has definitely changed for the worse. The traffic on the major side streets is bad (sometimes it feels worse than Dallas), the restaurants are mostly chains, the new buildings are cheap (I realize this happens everywhere, but at least in Dallas/Houston it's countered with really nice construction), the shopping is sub-par, the entertainment is non-existent, and the people are the same transplants you'd find in Houston or Dallas. I used to think I'd like to go back to raise kids no matter what, but I just don't see those benefits anymore.

It's certainly booming economically, but the jobs tend to be blue-collar defense jobs or professional (lawyers, doctors, bankers). I grew up on the north side of town and the scenery can actually be quite beautiful with all the rolling hills and mesas, but for the most part the development is on the south side of town and it is FLAT. Maybe you'll see something different since you never saw how it used to be.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:34 PM

10 posts, read 56,739 times
Talking Come on up here!

Please come to Amarillo and see for yourself! I am thrilled to be a part of the changes going on. A new Performing Arts center was built in the last few years...it was modeled after one of the canyons at Palo Duro canyon. The downtown area is in the midst of renovation and renewal. Your husband will probably remember the old Paramount Theater sign on Polk street. It's back in all it's neon glory! There is a constant state of building, growing, changing. Yes, there is more traffic. Amarillo College, Amarillo Museum of Art, Amarillo Botanical Center, the Discovery Center, the phenominal zoo, Thompson Park (oh, they are beginning work on a new park at 45th and Soncy with a fishing lake, walking paths...it promises to be as beautiful as Thompson Park). My favorite thing about Amarillo and the Texas Panhandle? The people! Hispanic, black, white, asian.....up here we are all 'Texans' and proud of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas