Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 02:39 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The biggest impediment to statewide decriminalization of marijuana is Dan Patrick, who has the evangelical Protestant stick so far up his backside he can't bend over. Danny doesn't believe in gambling, weed, or allowing anything remotely fun to be legal. With his control of the State Senate, if he says no, then the legislation is going nowhere.
Where does Texas get these guys.
People keep talking about if you don't like the state move and talking about growing up Texas... Texas today is totally different from my childhood.
Texas elected reasonable people in the 90s and before.

I like that the state is interested in pro.otibg business, but all that crazy social crap, banning everything...
The Libertarian days are long gone. Today's Republicans would want to hang LBJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2022, 03:07 PM

1,108 posts, read 528,882 times
That's why since the 80 -90's there is still dry counties, no booze on Sundays, no relaxing of drug laws and no state income taxes. Your so called reasonable politicians were just as conservative as todays breed.

Old 11-14-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
That's why since the 80 -90's there is still dry counties, no booze on Sundays, no relaxing of drug laws and no state income taxes. Your so called reasonable politicians were just as conservative as todays breed.
Definitely not true.
You are trying to extend local politics in rural towns to the entire state. The state was not dry so I don't see how that example mashes sense. As far as state income tax that's not a conservative/ liberal view although you guys try to simplify things to make it seem so. The liberals argument isn't that people should pay taxes- no one wants to pay taxes. The liberal argument is: if I'm paying my fair share Bezos and all these major companies should be paying their fair share also.

So yes, the politicians we grew up with were far more reasonable than the nutjobs being elected today. You can't tell me that Ted Cruz is more reasonable than Kay Bailey Hutchinson or Lloyd Bensen.

Old 11-14-2022, 03:19 PM

1,108 posts, read 528,882 times
I did not state the entire state is dry - counties are and counties elect politicians. And taxes be income tax or property taxes are certainly conservative issues that are on the ballot every election via bonds, fees or other gimmicks the counties try to push through. Just look at Austin where they voted to increase their own property taxes by passing 300m for homeless housing. We need Ted Cruz to fight the left wing establishment as much as we can from taking more and more of our money or 2A rights.
BTW Besen under Clinton gave a NFTA - that was one sided disaster for the US.

Old 11-18-2022, 09:26 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
The City of San Marcos just passed a similar bill.
Killeen, Harker Heights, and Elgin also passed similar bills on election night.

Old 11-18-2022, 12:32 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
The so-called War on Drugs was over decades ago. Drugs won.

I think the primary opponents to the legalization of weed and other “recreational” drugs are law enforcement, the judicial system (because there is a big $$$$ investment in those institutions), and fundamentalist churches.

That huge taxpayer investment has been a massive waste of resources, IMO.

However, legalization of the more dangerous hardcore drugs like heroin, fentanyl, etc. should always be off the table and dealers should be executed.

Old 11-19-2022, 02:48 PM

I agree. Waste of tax payer money putting people in jail for puffing on herb.

The hardcore drugs should be treated like people found guilty due to insanity. They should be sent to a mental facility and held until deemed normal.

Being on drugs and being criminally insane isn't far off from each other. Both are functioning under altered mental capacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas