U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 02:28 PM

7,381 posts, read 4,068,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Maybe look at Meadows Place TX and the area around it.
That isn't a super nice area though I gather this must be sarcasm.

That said, Aga's is by Meadows Place which is DELICIOUS!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 03:18 PM

511 posts, read 234,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

Mmmmmmm...Aga's grilled goat chops....

Old 11-10-2022, 04:51 PM

7,381 posts, read 4,068,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
Mmmmmmm...Aga's grilled goat chops....
Best goat I’ve ever had.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:57 PM

8,137 posts, read 4,553,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

Lots of people have recommended that place to me and I still haven’t went. I need to check it out

Any recommendations for when I go?

Old 11-10-2022, 05:48 PM

3,502 posts, read 2,212,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flea060 View Post
Thanks for the input all! I can take the heat, but heard Houston gets a little more humid? SA and Dallas area look interesting. Goin to dig in and do a bit more research. We'd be looking at the suburbs
Suburbs to look at around San Antonio -

Schertz, Cibolo, Universal City, Selma - average run of the mill suburbs, safe, schools are good, diverse (for San Antonio standards), typical cookie cutter homes

Bulverde - it's sort of a suburb but feels like a small town. Houses are on land (1 acre+). Less diversity. Pretty country/cowboy-esque. Great schools, homes are ranch style

Boerne - small town north of San Antonio, similar to Bulverde but it is more like a small town and less rural. There are 2 high schools in Boerne, the original Boerne school is more typical country/cowboy, Boerne Champion is more of an upscale sort of country, one of the best public schools in the SA area (arguably the best),

Fair Oaks Ranch - between Boerne and San Antonio, similar feel to Bulverde but more expensive. Local schools are Boerne Champion

Castroville/Lytle/Devine/Pleasanton/Jourdanton/Floresville/La Vernia - similar to Boerne but not quite as nice, more of small town vibes due to less growth, still good places with good schools. They used to be small towns that are slowly having the city grow into them

New Braunfels - it is technically a suburb but you can't really commute into San Antonio. You would have to commute to jobs near Schertz and all that, it is a small city with rivers running through it and lots of tourists over the summer. Very pretty, in the hill country. Lots of growth. Lots of traffic the closer you get to 35, 35 is a mad house

TBH San Antonio doesn't have many of the "traditional suburbs" like Dallas or Houston, other than Schertz, Cibolo, etc. What we have are small towns outside of the city and lots of "what would be suburbs" are actually a part of the San Antonio city limits. They just have that suburb feel. This is cause the city has annexed so much land.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:25 PM

5,136 posts, read 4,025,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Suburbs to look at around San Antonio -

Schertz, Cibolo, Universal City, Selma - average run of the mill suburbs, safe, schools are good, diverse (for San Antonio standards), typical cookie cutter homes

Bulverde - it's sort of a suburb but feels like a small town. Houses are on land (1 acre+). Less diversity. Pretty country/cowboy-esque. Great schools, homes are ranch style

Boerne - small town north of San Antonio, similar to Bulverde but it is more like a small town and less rural. There are 2 high schools in Boerne, the original Boerne school is more typical country/cowboy, Boerne Champion is more of an upscale sort of country, one of the best public schools in the SA area (arguably the best),

Fair Oaks Ranch - between Boerne and San Antonio, similar feel to Bulverde but more expensive. Local schools are Boerne Champion

Castroville/Lytle/Devine/Pleasanton/Jourdanton/Floresville/La Vernia - similar to Boerne but not quite as nice, more of small town vibes due to less growth, still good places with good schools. They used to be small towns that are slowly having the city grow into them

New Braunfels - it is technically a suburb but you can't really commute into San Antonio. You would have to commute to jobs near Schertz and all that, it is a small city with rivers running through it and lots of tourists over the summer. Very pretty, in the hill country. Lots of growth. Lots of traffic the closer you get to 35, 35 is a mad house

TBH San Antonio doesn't have many of the "traditional suburbs" like Dallas or Houston, other than Schertz, Cibolo, etc. What we have are small towns outside of the city and lots of "what would be suburbs" are actually a part of the San Antonio city limits. They just have that suburb feel. This is cause the city has annexed so much land.
Great descriptions!

Old 11-11-2022, 10:12 AM

18 posts, read 8,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flea060 View Post
Thanks for the input all! I can take the heat, but heard Houston gets a little more humid? SA and Dallas area look interesting. Goin to dig in and do a bit more research. We'd be looking at the suburbs
San Antonio is a little different in that it has always been annex happy. The far north central side of San Antonio would have been a suburb if it was in Dallas. 78258, 78259, 78260 and 78261 are on the north edge of SA, have excellent schools and a growing medical area in 78258. The schools there, due to the quality, tend to be more diverse than expected.

Old 11-11-2022, 11:19 AM

3,502 posts, read 2,212,235 times
Anywhere outside of 1604 would pretty much be a suburb if it was in another city.

Old 11-12-2022, 10:31 AM

2,998 posts, read 5,200,961 times
I have a very hard time not recommending the north Houston city of the Woodlands along I-45 and even northern parts of Spring. This could even extend to the Huntsville area and certainly Conroe. These are very wooded and pretty areas. The Woodlands are unique.

Secondary to this there is a very substantial hospital district there in Montgomery County with most the hospitals located at the confluence of Tx SH242 and I-45 Including Texas Children's, Herman Memorial, Houston Methodist, And CHI St. Lukes --- all the big dogs from the Houston Medical Center including an MD Anderson (#1 cancer treatment hospital in the US) campus. Houston area also has the most diverse cultural scene in Texas. As mentioned the Fillipino populations in the Greater Houston area is huge, the largest in Texas regions.

Lots of opportunity for IT also although so much of IT is an at home situation now.

Now, to address your concerns for weather in the Houston area. Surely there are concerns for Harris County and points south due to its low lying elevations (25' to 60' above sea level), slow drainage during heavy rains. I know I wouldn't live there. Also the menace of hurricanes whose primary damage is due to storm surge (up to 20' above mean sea levels) and flooding from torrential rains. Wind damage typically is less than 80 miles inland to the coast (I live 75 miles from the coast). The areas I am recommending pretty much eliminates all these weather related concerns. Montgomery county ranges from 150' to over 200' elevations with substantially better drainage than points south. But know this . . . anywhere in Texas is subject to local street flooding. Also the Dallas/Ft Worth and even Austin is subject to severe thunderstorms which can be locally devastating (just north of Austin: https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/tw...do-catastrophe ) with DFW regularly getting damaging hailstorms and tornado warnings. And west of I-35 water supply gets more iffy and while I love the Texas Hill Country region I wouldn't live there.

Everywhere has it's plusses and minuses. I think you are doing yourself and your family a disservice to not consider these areas I have recommended. Lastly, I am a retired Trauma Critical Care RN an know the medical scene in the region (I live 90 miles NE of Houston worked in Beaumont,Tx and in New England and my wife is a 30 year RN and works for CHI St. Lukes, Livingston with outstanding pay and benefits). There are no better medical opportunities than the Houston area and wages are higher due to the nursing demand. I'm sure you could bundle your professions and skillsets into one hiring package. Demand is high, wages are high, COL is low. All that spells a good future.

If you decide San Antonio I'd definitely look to Boerne.

Last edited by BobTex; 11-12-2022 at 10:41 AM..

Old 11-12-2022, 11:52 AM

9,625 posts, read 12,346,361 times
I’m in my late 30s now, so take all what I say with a grain of salt. My family was originally from the Chicago/southeast Wisconsin area. We moved to San Antonio when I was in pre-k. We’ve remained here since. I grew up in the SA suburbs and had a great childhood.

Texas is a live and let live vibe with politics, in general. Based on what you’ve said about politics I’ll say that most urban areas may stress you out with their politics; Austin in particular.

San Antonio does have pockets of Filipino folks, especially with the big military population. With that said, though, it is Military city USA, and if you don’t have a particular leaning or affinity towards the military it might be a bit overwhelming; especially if you live in Schertz/cíbolo or the Alamo Ranch area. Aside from wanting to spread my wings a bit, but being close to home, getting away from military culture was a perk for me to move to Austin.

Although there’s some Filipino influence in SA, diversity wise, Houston may be the best. I think some folks have addressed the weather issue and I’ll add most metros have their own weather concerns. Houston has the chance of hurricanes, San Antonio is in the middle of “flash flood alley” and DFW is the tail end of “tornado alley.” But, that’s not to say all of the weather can’t happen in all areas. In 1998 SA got hit by a massive tropical storm and had devastating flooding, Austin got hit by the far western part of hurricane Harvey and had tornadoes this spring and I guarantee there gave been all three in Houston. It gets ridiculously hot and you may hate it. But, you get used to it. Honestly, the humidity feels a lot like Midwest humidity plus ten degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas