Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 02:27 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered why my local Southern California DQ doesn't have Country Baskets with chicken strips and toast like the ones in Texas. Texas gets to have its own special DQ menu. Apart from the ice cream, DQ's outside of Texas leave alot to be desired.

Source - https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/...en-menu-texas/

If you’ve ever visited a Dairy Queen in Texas (or even the DQ Texas website) you might’ve come across the slogan “That’s What I Like About Texas”. This is quite a change from the DQ slogan we’ve seen everywhere else: “Happy Tastes Good”. And it’s far from the only thing that’s different about DQ in Texas.

Dairy Queens in Texas feature menu items that you might not find anywhere else, ranging from nachos and tacos to some very different burger offerings. We hear they might even have their own jingle for commercials! That’s not too surprising. Here’s what you need to know before you hit up a DQ in Texas.

Here’s What to Expect From DQ’s Texas Menu

With Texas, you expect to go big, and the Texas DQ doesn’t disappoint. Texas-exclusive offerings include (but are definitely not limited to):

The Hungr-Buster: a quarter-pounder with onions, tomatoes, lettuce, pickles and mustard
The Belt-Buster: a burger that doubles up on the quarter-pound patties
The Triple-Buster: yep, this triples the patties
The Dude Chik’n Fried Steak Sandwich: fried steak with lettuce, tomatoes and salad dressing
Steak Finger Country Basket: crunchy fried steak strips
Of course, that’s not all! When in Texas, you expect some Mexican-inspired fare, and the Texas DQ doesn’t disappoint. Here’s what else you can find on the menu:

Texas T-Brand Tacos
Nachos Deluxe
Beef Taco Salad
Grilled Chicken Taco Salad

Why Does Dairy Queen Have a Different Menu in Texas?
Your first response might be to think that it’s because Dairy Queen started in Texas. You’re not the only one who’d think that—as of 2017, Texas had the most Dairy Queens of any state, at approximately 600. The very first Dairy Queen was actually opened in Joliet, Illinois, even though the chain is so popular in Texas, it’s literally known as “the Texas stop sign”.

But there is a reason for that unique menu, and it involves some selling and buying. International Dairy Queen sold its franchising rights in Texas to Rolly Klose in around 1947, who in turn sold exclusive rights for DQ to several restauranteurs who began to experiment with offerings beyond the usual soft-serve and desserts. When Texas Dairy Queen was repurchased by International DQ in 1980, the restauranteurs negotiated with the company to allow them to continue with the Texas-exclusive items and their own brand of marketing.

These items aren’t the only unique things created by franchisees—even the iconic Blizzard was a franchisee creation.

Can I Get ‘Em at DQs Outside Texas?
Unfortunately, these items are Texas exclusives—you’ll have to head down to the Lone Star state to get ’em. However, the DQ secret menu has some items that you can get no matter where in the country you are, as long as you have a store nearby. Indulge in a Butterbeer Blizzard, or add some nostalgia with the Jack and Jill Sundae or the Peanut Butter Bash Sundae—the possibilities are endless!

Last edited by malcorub16; 11-18-2022 at 03:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 02:42 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,411,991 times
Everything is BIGGER and BETTER in The Great State of Texas!!

Old 11-18-2022, 03:00 PM

4,534 posts, read 2,669,541 times
So this young Aggie gets a job behind the counter at the Dairy Queen in Mexia:

First day, a car pulls in with Ohio plates, and a couple come in. The man says to the young Aggie behind the counter:

"Now son, just how do you pronounce the name of this place, anyway? Say it real slow so we can catch it."

"Dayy-reee Kweee-eeen, sir."

Old 11-18-2022, 03:01 PM

4,534 posts, read 2,669,541 times
I can't say I've ever stepped inside a DQ except in Texas.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:15 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
1 large chocolate extreme blizzard please!

Old 11-19-2022, 06:47 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
Ha. When we lived in Bangor, Maine there was a Dairy queen there that was on one of the fast food main drags. Our first winter their I got to hankerin' for a dip cone so we went by the DQ and low and behold . . . they close for the winter. Guess folks don't want cold treats in the winter there. We never went back there but were there (on the same road) a few weeks back and they were open. We went for a lobster roll across the street.

I never eat hot prepared food at DQ anymore. Probably haven't in 25 years. I'll stop in for a cold treat occasionally. Never choose them when on an out-of-state road trip.

Old 11-19-2022, 07:29 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
1 large chocolate extreme blizzard please!
M&M Blizzards ftw!

Old 11-19-2022, 08:22 AM

5,579 posts, read 6,504,647 times
I fell in love with the singer of the "DQ, that's what I like about Tex-as" singer when I first head the song. Strong voice, sexy voice. A couple weeks ago I was at a small town festival that rotated acts on the stage. One of them took credit for writing the song that was reworked into the DQ song. He sang his composition, and he DEFINITELY was NOT the singer of he DQ song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EZSFOApBwA

ETA: listening to it here it somehow doesn't sound quite the same as it did on my TV back in 2014. But I like the jingle anyway even now. Someone wrote in the comments of this video the singer's name and where he lives. The comment was from only 2 months ago.

Old 11-19-2022, 09:05 AM

3,069 posts, read 8,411,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I fell in love with the singer of the "DQ, that's what I like about Tex-as" singer when I first head the song. Strong voice, sexy voice. A couple weeks ago I was at a small town festival that rotated acts on the stage. One of them took credit for writing the song that was reworked into the DQ song. He sang his composition, and he DEFINITELY was NOT the singer of he DQ song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EZSFOApBwA

ETA: listening to it here it somehow doesn't sound quite the same as it did on my TV back in 2014. But I like the jingle anyway even now. Someone wrote in the comments of this video the singer's name and where he lives. The comment was from only 2 months ago.

The original version the singer appeared to have more bass in his voice. This one sounds like someone was squeezing his gonads as he sang.

Old 11-19-2022, 10:45 AM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times
I think it's strange the Dairy Queen's here sell hot dogs. I don't believe the Texas ones have any hotdogs on the menu at least not that I can remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Ha. When we lived in Bangor, Maine there was a Dairy queen there that was on one of the fast food main drags. Our first winter their I got to hankerin' for a dip cone so we went by the DQ and low and behold . . . they close for the winter. Guess folks don't want cold treats in the winter there. We never went back there but were there (on the same road) a few weeks back and they were open. We went for a lobster roll across the street.

I never eat hot prepared food at DQ anymore. Probably haven't in 25 years. I'll stop in for a cold treat occasionally. Never choose them when on an out-of-state road trip.
LOL, seasonal Dairy Queens. That's a first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: