U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 08:29 PM

10,379 posts, read 4,021,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Not true,
I’ve driven 1000s of miles in the Midwest and 99% of the time highway is flat and on the ground
And the bridge is used for the side roads
When the Katy Freeway rebuild was done, the intersection at Mason Road was changed to have the freeway go over the surface road instead of a bridge for Mason over the freeway. It simplifies the frontage roads, and TxDOT prefers to have more clearance over the freeway for large loads.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 07:21 AM

17,329 posts, read 23,497,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
…and TxDOT prefers to have more clearance over the freeway for large loads.
What’s the point of doing that when you still have bridges going over Katy freeway like Taylor St and Houston Ave with a clearance of 14ft and 3 inches.

And farther west, just South of Luling there’s another bridge with a clearance of 15ft and 7in.

Old 11-25-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
What’s the point of doing that when you still have bridges going over Katy freeway like Taylor St and Houston Ave with a clearance of 14ft and 3 inches.

And farther west, just South of Luling there’s another bridge with a clearance of 15ft and 7in.
TxDOT would love to replace those bridges. There is a proposal to elevate I-10 from Heights Blvd to I-45 that has drawn the ire of local residents, and would have the freeway going over Taylor and Houston.

Old 11-26-2022, 04:24 AM

10,709 posts, read 6,088,304 times
I do wish TXDOT could make more use of SPUI’s

Old 11-26-2022, 06:36 AM

21,029 posts, read 12,642,921 times
The freeways in Texas were constructed considering real estate development as well as moving traffic. Even the ETJ laws were predicated on land either side of a major roadway.

We lived in Webster Groves, Mo. when they were deciding what to do about a freeway coming through the town in the late 60s. That community wanted no entrance or exit ramps in their town.

Old 11-26-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I do wish TXDOT could make more use of SPUI’s
That's effectively what we have all over Houston, modified for the frontage roads and the U turns under the freeway.

Old 11-27-2022, 08:01 AM

7,801 posts, read 9,377,126 times
I am from the Northeast and still go back many times a year. Texas deserves the designation. I-10 has 26 lanes at one point.

I also m still baffled by access roads. The seem so overwhelmingly inefficient to me, and I've been here for decades. It's like they put a stoplight at the end of the off ramp, and then stand around and scratch your heads at why traffic backs up at the stoplight, onto the freeway. And, yes, I understand why they exist, but it was like they took the easiest, not the best way to address the problem.

Old 11-27-2022, 08:24 AM

21,162 posts, read 6,904,737 times
Quote:
We need to connect our major cities with rail
And how do you plan to get from a rail station to where you need to be and back? We had neighbors who used the DFW rail and it was a daily grind.

Old 11-27-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I am from the Northeast and still go back many times a year. Texas deserves the designation. I-10 has 26 lanes at one point.

I also m still baffled by access roads. The seem so overwhelmingly inefficient to me, and I've been here for decades. It's like they put a stoplight at the end of the off ramp, and then stand around and scratch your heads at why traffic backs up at the stoplight, onto the freeway. And, yes, I understand why they exist, but it was like they took the easiest, not the best way to address the problem.
Are you saying that exits to non-frontage roads never have stop lights? That's simply not the case. Well designed frontage roads don't cause traffic to back up on to the freeway unless there is a much heavier than normal volume of traffic, or there is an accident or other activity disrupting the flow.

Old 11-27-2022, 01:28 PM

10,709 posts, read 6,088,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
That's effectively what we have all over Houston, modified for the frontage roads and the U turns under the freeway.
I guess you could say that is true when looking at how they function but each access road is still controlled by its own signal, but the signals are coordinated to work with eachother and seemingly prevent traffic from sitting on the bridge or under the overpass between the access roads... ...that part seems to work pretty well, but their flaw is they typically only allow one direction of travel at any given time...

...this is more so what I was thinking as far as SPUI's with access roads:

This design allows bi-directional left turning traffic to turn at the same time and traffic proceeding on the access roads to go at the same time for both directions instead of only one which many of ours do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post

I-95 in the D.C. suburbs is also pretty large.. Not quite Katy FWY size but its definitely not a small road...

and the NJTPK retains 12 lanes even in the rural areas of NJ and is often quite crowded...

...and has complex interchanges too...

Same for Garden State Pkwy

...Overall I agree, TX does have large freeways in both Houston and DFW - There aren't many roads as large as 121 / 114 in DFW or Katy FWY in Houston or as complex as the LBJ I-635 .. .. I was more so attacking this stand point from the 'number of freeways' though, New York, New Jersey, Maryland seem to have numerous freeways and parkways (freeway standard arterials) although generally they're between 6 and 10 lanes across... but they are also very close to eachother ... There are plenty of freeways and parkways in the NYC, and D.C. area that are less than 5 miles apart that travel in the same general direction.. like U.S. 29, I-95 and Balt-Wash Pkwy ...

As for the access roads, I get what you are saying, when the ramp dumps you out infront of the intersection, although TXDOT has been slowly changing that where the ramp now puts you back sometimes as far back as a mile from the intersection. Although Im not a fan of the access roads, the latter seems to work better in mitigating freeway congestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas