U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2022, 04:29 PM
Status: "Back to warm weather" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: Jollyville, TX
5,382 posts, read 11,078,737 times
Reputation: 9209

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
It is not a question of being a constitutional right. It is a question of reasonableness. $33 seems quite excessive to me. Driver licenses are not tamper proof either, but again, that is neither here nor there.
Well we could pay more in our taxes to help fund DPS but I’m ok with a $33 fee since the license is good for 4 years. That’s only $8.25 a year.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 11-22-2022, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
2,746 posts, read 7,641,138 times
Reputation: 4882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Well we could pay more in our taxes to help fund DPS but I’m ok with a $33 fee since the license is good for 4 years. That’s only $8.25 a year.

I renewed mine in 2021 and it is valid for 8 years. That was a change made at some point before mine expired.


Don't recall what I paid but the $97.00 fee sounds right as I have a Class A, B, & C license. So that makes it $10/Year as a fee. Not unreasonable and the extended expiration is nice as well.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-22-2022, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Tricity, PL
54,455 posts, read 76,156,772 times
Reputation: 120724
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
It is not a question of being a constitutional right. It is a question of reasonableness. $33 seems quite excessive to me. Driver licenses are not tamper proof either, but again, that is neither here nor there.
You get now the Real ID/DL, with the star.
That enhanced ID is more secure than the old DL. It's made of polycarbonate material, which is more tamper-resistant and harder to reproduce, and feature laser engraving to provide an added layer of protection against alterations and forgeries.
You will be able to use it as an ID, for domestic flights, and for entering federal facilities.

So, you pay more for all those features.

To get a REAL-ID compliant Texas driver license or ID, you need:

An original or certified copy of a Birth Certificate or an unexpired U.S. Passport Book or Card
Social Security Card
Current Texas Vehicle Registration or Title
Current Car Insurance Policy or Car Insurance Statement
If your name changed, legal documents showing proof of name change from your birth name

Last edited by elnina; 11-22-2022 at 08:20 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-22-2022, 10:55 PM
 
1,525 posts, read 622,693 times
Reputation: 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Well we could pay more in our taxes to help fund DPS but I’m ok with a $33 fee since the license is good for 4 years. That’s only $8.25 a year.
Four years??? I thought they were valid for seven years. I recall renewing every seven years.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-23-2022, 06:02 AM
 
Location: Tricity, PL
54,455 posts, read 76,156,772 times
Reputation: 120724
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
Four years??? I thought they were valid for seven years. I recall renewing every seven years.
It's 7 (seven) years and expires on your birthday.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-23-2022, 06:43 AM
Status: "Back to warm weather" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: Jollyville, TX
5,382 posts, read 11,078,737 times
Reputation: 9209
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It's 7 (seven) years and expires on your birthday.
Actually, I looked at their website and says it's 8 years. Huh - for some reason I thought less, but 8 is even better.

How often do I have to renew my driver license or ID card?
ID cards must be renewed every 6 years. Driver licenses must be renewed every 8 years for anyone between the ages 18 and 84.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-23-2022, 06:53 AM
 
3,151 posts, read 1,776,727 times
Reputation: 6390
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
... You will be able to use it as an ID, for domestic flights, and for entering federal facilities.

So, you pay more for all those features.

To get a REAL-ID compliant Texas driver license or ID, you need:

An original or certified copy of a Birth Certificate or an unexpired U.S. Passport Book or Card
Social Security Card
Current Texas Vehicle Registration or Title
Current Car Insurance Policy or Car Insurance Statement
If your name changed, legal documents showing proof of name change from your birth name
Yet not all the other states will recognize that Texas REAL-ID license as proof enough that you are who you are when you go to get a license in their state.

As much as I hate most things federal, I fervently believe automobile registration and driver licensing needs to be one system, not 50.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-23-2022, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Tricity, PL
54,455 posts, read 76,156,772 times
Reputation: 120724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Actually, I looked at their website and says it's 8 years. Huh - for some reason I thought less, but 8 is even better.

How often do I have to renew my driver license or ID card?
ID cards must be renewed every 6 years. Driver licenses must be renewed every 8 years for anyone between the ages 18 and 84.


I just physically checked my Real TX DL and it's seven years.

But Google search gives contradicting results.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-23-2022, 08:30 AM
Status: "Back to warm weather" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: Jollyville, TX
5,382 posts, read 11,078,737 times
Reputation: 9209
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I just physically checked my Real TX DL and it's seven years.

But Google search gives contradicting results.
I checked mine too and it expires in 2025 and I renewed it in 2019, so I am totally confused!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-23-2022, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Kaufman County, Texas
11,309 posts, read 24,792,028 times
Reputation: 9761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I checked mine too and it expires in 2025 and I renewed it in 2019, so I am totally confused!
If you just changed the address, they don't renew it at the same time. They are good for 7 years.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top