U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 10:12 AM

5,382 posts, read 11,078,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
If you just changed the address, they don't renew it at the same time. They are good for 7 years.
No, I had to do the whole Real ID renewal with an in person visit and documents. Took 3.5 hours. Doesn't make any sense. Their website says 8 years but mine is clearly for 6 (2025-2019).
Rate this post positively

Old 11-23-2022, 11:32 AM

11,309 posts, read 24,792,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
No, I had to do the whole Real ID renewal with an in person visit and documents. Took 3.5 hours. Doesn't make any sense. Their website says 8 years but mine is clearly for 6 (2025-2019).
As did I when I renewed in 2019. I stood in line for SIX hours since DPS' appointment system was not yet functional. The license I received was good for 7 years, and when I changed the address last year, the renewal date did not change.

Old 11-23-2022, 07:23 PM

1,525 posts, read 622,693 times
I never heard of Real ID. Personally, I am not interested in it. I just renewed on-line the other night. My new DL should arrive in about two weeks. I have lived well over half a century on this earth and never have had any sort of problem with my DL. I think this notion of "new is better" is not what it is cracked up to be.

Old 11-23-2022, 07:57 PM

54,458 posts, read 76,156,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
I never heard of Real ID. Personally, I am not interested in it. I just renewed on-line the other night. My new DL should arrive in about two weeks. I have lived well over half a century on this earth and never have had any sort of problem with my DL. I think this notion of "new is better" is not what it is cracked up to be.
Your regular DL will be ok to drive and vote. You won't air travel, or access federal building with it, though.

Old 11-23-2022, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Your regular DL will be ok to drive and vote. You won't air travel, or access federal building with it, though.
Well, it is unlikely I will fly anywhere any time in the foreseeable future. As for federal buildings, if that includes the SS building, which I would presume it does include, then I will communicate with them via snail mail. Some of the changes I see these days are ridiculous for most of the population.

Old 11-24-2022, 04:36 AM

927 posts, read 299,641 times
All this for $33, huh? I can think of a lot of other things to get my dander up about. I honestly can't think of anything that is more of a bargain than this. Hmmm....my entire livelihood from working, going to store and running pretty much every errand I can think of, hauling things, etc. is reliant on my ability to drive. It's actually the essence of this freedom that Texans always scream about.

Sorry it breaks the bank for you. I got no problem with it. And most of these things are automatic renewal, can be handled online, or by appointment so not sure on all this talk about waiting hours in line.

Old 11-24-2022, 06:38 AM

10,691 posts, read 6,034,219 times
Quote:
It is not a question of being a constitutional right. It is a question of reasonableness. $33 seems quite excessive to me. Driver licenses are not tamper proof either, but again, that is neither here nor there.
$33 for a 7 year ID is a pretty good deal IMHO.

Old 11-24-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
All this for $33, huh? I can think of a lot of other things to get my dander up about. I honestly can't think of anything that is more of a bargain than this. Hmmm....my entire livelihood from working, going to store and running pretty much every errand I can think of, hauling things, etc. is reliant on my ability to drive. It's actually the essence of this freedom that Texans always scream about.

Sorry it breaks the bank for you. I got no problem with it. And most of these things are automatic renewal, can be handled online, or by appointment so not sure on all this talk about waiting hours in line.
Well good for you. Not everyone is in the same position. Develop some empathy for others. Perhaps if it such a pittance for you then you would be happy to pay for the people for whom it is a burden then, but I doubt it.

Old 11-24-2022, 03:57 PM

10,691 posts, read 6,034,219 times
Quote:
Well good for you. Not everyone is in the same position. Develop some empathy for others. Perhaps if it such a pittance for you then you would be happy to pay for the people for whom it is a burden then, but I doubt it.
We are just being realistic about it. $33 will only feed a family for about 2 maybe 3 days for some folks. It will also not even fill up a gas tank for many folks. $33 for a license that you don’t have to renew or retest for a long time is very reasonable.

Old 11-24-2022, 07:55 PM

927 posts, read 299,641 times
Quote:
Uh huh. Perhaps you should talk to those people who can't afford $33 and ask them how many other things they won't be able to afford if they can't drive to work or have to take an Uber to pick up groceries (or they can pay the surcharge every time to have them delivered). Sorry, it's not about using empathy but rather using common sense. As pointed out to you by numerous posters, $33 is very reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas