Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 07:40 AM

716 posts, read 395,592 times

Advertisements

Hi yall,
I go to a deer camp on a regular basis.Does the state or any of the counties in Texas have special rules like zoning and codes for that sort of thing.I have wondered this for quite some time because we dont have running water or plumbing at the deer camp.However we do have electricity.There's just a bunch of old vehicles and a common camp fire/cooking area and campers and no heating or AC at the deer camp.

So like what are the rules for places like this in rural Texas on land.I cant afford a home and I dont have any credit because I used to be a Dave Ramsey disciple so I have been looking at getting my own deer camp style set up at some point to live at..I am not the owner of the deer camp.Like do county and state officials really go after hunters and campers over this.Also old broken down vehicles are there too.Its on a multi-section ranch that we lease from the rancher.Thank you.Its like FEMA trailers pop-ups and travel trailers at the deer camp I stay at when I am out camping.I really like to camp.I plan on following every applicable rule,law,regulation, and code if I ever get my own camp set up on my own land.I have enough cash in savings to buy a small ranch to put the deer camp on.I may put a tiny house or a used mobile home on it and I know that theres restrictions on those like sometimes the mobile home has to be less than 10 years old.

Last edited by NewMexicoCowboy; 11-10-2022 at 08:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 09:22 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Each county has its own rules, but as a general rule, you will have to have a septic system if you place a permanent dwelling on your land. No, counties don't care about deer hunters' RVs, or old vehicles on land unless they are polluting by releasing raw sewage.

There is no zoning in unincorporated areas, although your land may have deed restrictions, such as "no mobile homes." The deed restrictions are filed with the county.

Each county may have laws about landowner conduct. For example, my county does not allow any firearm target practice on land of less than 10 acres.

Old 11-10-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Each county has its own rules, but as a general rule, you will have to have a septic system if you place a permanent dwelling on your land. No, counties don't care about deer hunters' RVs, or old vehicles on land unless they are polluting by releasing raw sewage.

There is no zoning in unincorporated areas, although your land may have deed restrictions, such as "no mobile homes." The deed restrictions are filed with the county.

Each county may have laws about landowner conduct. For example, my county does not allow any firearm target practice on land of less than 10 acres.
Thank you very much ChristieP.Ya I was familiar with the 10 acre rule in much of the state.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post

the deer camp at our lease does not have operational bathrooms so I guess we have no running septic..I guess its just not enforced at our place.I have no control over how the deer camp is ran so it being in code is not my responsibilty.Although I will make sure my own deer camp will be in full compliance if I ever get it built.

Old 11-13-2022, 07:23 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Counties in Texas cannot make ordinances without permission from the state. The state does have rules about water and electricity, but they do not require any permit or inspection. There are no county building codes that I know of.

Old 11-13-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Counties in Texas cannot make ordinances without permission from the state. The state does have rules about water and electricity, but they do not require any permit or inspection. There are no county building codes that I know of.
Okay thank you crone.

Old 11-19-2022, 05:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Camping codes vs zoning vs building requirements can be specified by county or municipality (as well as state). Check locally, as this thread also has some false statements. If you search Texas codes and zoning, you will find more info., Including official state and county documents.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/texa...s-enforce.html

For those seeking specific camping info for Texas... (As per thread title), do your research. Texas is very private property focused, very little public lands (where many people in USA camp and wander / horseback / atv / boat (or tube) ride for free.)

Old 11-20-2022, 06:01 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
The state does have codes for anything hooking up to the water and electricity grid.

One must have licensed contractors doing the work. The state does not specify anything about getting permits or inspections so how do they know? People in Houston do 100K remodels on kitchens without permits or inspections. One would think if the house sells somebody would look if the work was permitted. They rarely do. And then they just pay the penalty and get the permit.

Private property developers can do what they want unless they are in the ETJ of some city. George Mitchell demonstrated that in 1974. Developments in the ETJ of Houston need to comply with the subdivision codes of Houston in case they are annexed. But that street width, etc.

Old 11-22-2022, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Camping codes vs zoning vs building requirements can be specified by county or municipality (as well as state). Check locally, as this thread also has some false statements. If you search Texas codes and zoning, you will find more info., Including official state and county documents.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/texa...s-enforce.html

For those seeking specific camping info for Texas... (As per thread title), do your research. Texas is very private property focused, very little public lands (where many people in USA camp and wander / horseback / atv / boat (or tube) ride for free.)
What are the false statements, StealthRabbit?

Old 11-23-2022, 04:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Determine your county, then drill down to requirements.

I have built or evaluated building in 4 different Texas counties, and the requirements are vastly different in each. These are all rural sites. It is false to claim that rural building regulations are common throughout the entire state, they are not.

BTW my good friend and neighbor rents out hunting leases.
He has hundreds of vintage cars, tractors, trucks, buses. And a few thousand acres. It would be quite expensive to acquire enough property to offer hunting leases. Then there are the 'specialty' leases with exotic game. Another friend breeds and feeds for the mega racks, and his trophy hunts are quite expensive per the size of rack. Then the 'glamping' (luxury) hunting ranches, of which several are nearby. This forces the locals to buy hunting leases further out. A few neighbors have been buying ranches in Camp Wood, Rock Springs, Sonora. Those are about an hour west of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas