Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2007, 06:08 AM

4 posts, read 52,760 times

Advertisements

We have some interesting town names here up north, like Intercourse and Bird in Hand. Can anyone tell me how Cut and Shoot got its name? Also, up here we have basements the footprint of the houses their under and fullsize attics. I don't see either in much (most?) of the south. Where do y'all put everything? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 08:34 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,007 times
Here is an article I found on the name. Quite interesting.

HOW CUT AND SHOOT GOT ITS NAME

The community of Cut and Shoot, is located in the northeastern part of Montgomery, County, Texas. It had its unusual beginning and acquired its peculiar name in July 1912.

Prior to 1912 the Missionary Baptist, Hard-shell Baptist, and Methodist citizens of the community went together and built a combination church and school house. They erected the structure with the understanding that all dominations were privileged to preach there except the Mormons and Apostolics. This building was called the Community House, because it was the place where all the people in the community met for their church and social activities.

In July 1912, it happened that a Preacher Stamps of the Apostolic belief appeared in the community, and some of the local brethren invited him to hold a meeting at the Community House. Preacher Stamps seemed not to have been a very reputable person, since it was claimed by some of the citizens that he occasionally visited saloons and went dancing. When the people heard of Preacher Stamps' intention the community immediately paired off into two sides, those who thought the Community House should be used for all denominations, and those who thought it should be closed to the Apostolics. Each side declared their intentions; one claimed that it was going to have the meeting and the other claimed that the meeting would not be held.

On July 20,1912, the day before the meeting was to take place a son of one of the opposing families was sent to the home of one of the school trustees, to get the keys, so the doors could be locked. When the Apostolic element heard of this move they quickly informed the side favorable to the meeting that they would break down the doors if necessary, to gain entrance to the building. A member of the opposing group saddled his horse and rode through the community and notified the people to bring their guns to the Community House the next day. The side favorable to the meeting heard of this gesture and one of their members saddled up and rode through the community to tell the people who were sympathetic toward his side to do the same.

On the morning of July 21 the group who wanted to hear Preacher Stamps gathered at the Community House. They came in their wagons and buggies and brought their lunches with intentions of staying and having an all day preaching and a dinner on the ground. Under their wagon and buggy seats they had their guns and knives rolled up in quilts. On their arrival they found the door of the building locked, and soon after the opposing group arrived with their weapons. This faction immediately inspected the door and declared that the lock had been jammed, whereupon all grabbed their guns and a hot argument developed between two of the opposing families. While the accusations of both sides flew back and forth, the eight-year-old son of one of the families favorable to the meeting became frightened at the disturbance and said; "I'm scared!" "I'm going to cut around the corner and shoot through the bushes in a minute!" Thus the name Cut and Shoot was coined.

Actually no cutting or shooting occurred that day. The arguments continued, however, and finally to avoid a shooting scrape the families favorable to the meeting withdrew to some shade trees and Preacher Stamps delivered his sermon standing on the ground while the citizens sat in their buggies and wagons. After that a brush arbor was built near one of the families house and Preacher Stamps held a protracted meeting there for the rest of the summer. The brush arbor was built near one of the opposing family’s house, and it has been stated that the preaching was loud enough that this family could hear.

The next day after the threatened outbreak of violence at the meetinghouse, on July 22, both sides appeared in Conroe and indicted each other at the Justice of the Peace Court for disturbing the peace, assault, and the use of obscene language. The leaders of the families that had the argument at the Community House were tried and fined. The dispute was carried on between these families for over a year; each indicating the other had the smallest pretense.

At one of the trials the school trustee from whom the key to lock the Community House was obtained was a witness, and the Judge ask him where the fuss had taken place, he had not been at the scrape and not knowing what to call the community, since it did not have a name, replied, "I suppose you would call it the place where they had the cutting and shooting scrape." This was the first indication that the new community might be called Cut and Shoot. At any rate, the name Cut and Shoot stuck to the community, partly through the jests of one of the communities’ citizens who enjoyed telling his friends about the incident that had occurred there.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:50 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notbeenthere View Post
We have some interesting town names here up north, like Intercourse and Bird in Hand. Can anyone tell me how Cut and Shoot got its name? Also, up here we have basements the footprint of the houses their under and fullsize attics. I don't see either in much (most?) of the south. Where do y'all put everything? Thanks.
For me, a garage, storage shed, attic for a few things, and my underground tornado cellar. Some people have barns. Some people rent storage units.

How much storage space does a person even need anyway? I'm trying to "clear out the clutter."

Old 01-11-2007, 07:50 AM

4 posts, read 52,760 times
Thanks a lot stargazer. This is a great reply. I appreciate it.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:38 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
There are few basements in most of Texas for a couple of reasons. In the coastal areas, the water table is very close to the surface, making it difficult to seal the basement from leaks; also, the soil can be unstable, which can result in cracked basement walls that would also allow leakage.

In the Hill Country and most of N. Texas, the ground is so rocky that the cost becomes prohibitive. I know my neighbors many years ago had to blast with dynamite (and no mean amount) to put in a swimming pool.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 11,693 times
Default cut n shoot texas

War over the use of community center/Baptist church. Apostolics was using it for a revival disagreement. Over the preacher that was preaching.moral reasons involved. so. They were to meet at the church ......guns and knifes were brought but not used.according to cut and shoot history a young boy lived across the woods said I'm gonna cut through and shoot on over. That's how it got its name.was spelled CUT -n-SHOOT TEXAS. Lady changed the n to and for the map.home of Roy Harris boxer and Debra Sue Moffet one of miss america in Late 60 or 70 maybe 80s. She was miss. California. Born in conroe, raised in cut n shoot. .texas

Old 11-05-2014, 07:20 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,812,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
Here is an article I found on the name. Quite interesting.

HOW CUT AND SHOOT GOT ITS NAME

The community of Cut and Shoot, is located in the northeastern part of Montgomery, County, Texas. It had its unusual beginning and acquired its peculiar name in July 1912.

Spoiler
Prior to 1912 the Missionary Baptist, Hard-shell Baptist, and Methodist citizens of the community went together and built a combination church and school house. They erected the structure with the understanding that all dominations were privileged to preach there except the Mormons and Apostolics. This building was called the Community House, because it was the place where all the people in the community met for their church and social activities.

In July 1912, it happened that a Preacher Stamps of the Apostolic belief appeared in the community, and some of the local brethren invited him to hold a meeting at the Community House. Preacher Stamps seemed not to have been a very reputable person, since it was claimed by some of the citizens that he occasionally visited saloons and went dancing. When the people heard of Preacher Stamps' intention the community immediately paired off into two sides, those who thought the Community House should be used for all denominations, and those who thought it should be closed to the Apostolics. Each side declared their intentions; one claimed that it was going to have the meeting and the other claimed that the meeting would not be held.

On July 20,1912, the day before the meeting was to take place a son of one of the opposing families was sent to the home of one of the school trustees, to get the keys, so the doors could be locked. When the Apostolic element heard of this move they quickly informed the side favorable to the meeting that they would break down the doors if necessary, to gain entrance to the building. A member of the opposing group saddled his horse and rode through the community and notified the people to bring their guns to the Community House the next day. The side favorable to the meeting heard of this gesture and one of their members saddled up and rode through the community to tell the people who were sympathetic toward his side to do the same.

On the morning of July 21 the group who wanted to hear Preacher Stamps gathered at the Community House. They came in their wagons and buggies and brought their lunches with intentions of staying and having an all day preaching and a dinner on the ground. Under their wagon and buggy seats they had their guns and knives rolled up in quilts. On their arrival they found the door of the building locked, and soon after the opposing group arrived with their weapons. This faction immediately inspected the door and declared that the lock had been jammed, whereupon all grabbed their guns and a hot argument developed between two of the opposing families. While the accusations of both sides flew back and forth, the eight-year-old son of one of the families favorable to the meeting became frightened at the disturbance and said; "I'm scared!" "I'm going to cut around the corner and shoot through the bushes in a minute!" Thus the name Cut and Shoot was coined.

Actually no cutting or shooting occurred that day. The arguments continued, however, and finally to avoid a shooting scrape the families favorable to the meeting withdrew to some shade trees and Preacher Stamps delivered his sermon standing on the ground while the citizens sat in their buggies and wagons. After that a brush arbor was built near one of the families house and Preacher Stamps held a protracted meeting there for the rest of the summer. The brush arbor was built near one of the opposing family’s house, and it has been stated that the preaching was loud enough that this family could hear.

The next day after the threatened outbreak of violence at the meetinghouse, on July 22, both sides appeared in Conroe and indicted each other at the Justice of the Peace Court for disturbing the peace, assault, and the use of obscene language. The leaders of the families that had the argument at the Community House were tried and fined. The dispute was carried on between these families for over a year; each indicating the other had the smallest pretense.

At one of the trials the school trustee from whom the key to lock the Community House was obtained was a witness, and the Judge ask him where the fuss had taken place, he had not been at the scrape and not knowing what to call the community, since it did not have a name, replied, "I suppose you would call it the place where they had the cutting and shooting scrape." This was the first indication that the new community might be called Cut and Shoot. At any rate, the name Cut and Shoot stuck to the community, partly through the jests of one of the communities’ citizens who enjoyed telling his friends about the incident that had occurred there
An abridged version from the Texas State Historical Association...

CUT AND SHOOT, TX | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas