Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 08:49 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the follow-up! Texas DPS is really an embarrassment. Their systems are horribly inefficient and as you said, it often depends on the employee you get as to what they require. One of my friends’ husband was born abroad to American parents. When he went to renew his TXDL, the DPS employee flagged him as a non-US citizen because his birth certificate was from a foreign country and she reported him to ICE! He literally had to go through immigration court to prove that he was a USC and was here legally! The process took almost 4 years, during which time he lost his right to vote, and it also cost them a substantial amount of money in legal fees. If they had not gotten their congressman’s office involved, it would have taken even longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 03:35 PM

4,842 posts, read 3,270,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Most people just toss that piece of paper after they peel the window sticker off, which is unfortunate because that information is often needed later. In your situation, you may need to go to the county vehicle registration office and have them reprint that information for you. I think it costs $1 per page IIRC.
I've been gone a couple years almost, but doesn't it plainly say that paperwork is to be carried in the vehicle?

Old 01-01-2023, 04:16 PM

20 posts, read 25,806 times
In Texas, the paperwork is not required to be carried in vehicle. In fact, in Texas and other states where the paperwork is not required to be carried, it is recommended to not store it within the vehicle as it makes transferring the title and registration much easier for a thief if the vehicle is stolen. States that still require this are frankly living in the dark ages.

Old 01-01-2023, 04:48 PM

15,427 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I've been gone a couple years almost, but doesn't it plainly say that paperwork is to be carried in the vehicle?
It has to be carried in a commercial vehicle. For personal vehicles, it's up to you.

Old 01-02-2023, 08:14 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Thanks for the follow-up! Texas DPS is really an embarrassment. Their systems are horribly inefficient and as you said, it often depends on the employee you get as to what they require. One of my friends’ husband was born abroad to American parents. When he went to renew his TXDL, the DPS employee flagged him as a non-US citizen because his birth certificate was from a foreign country and she reported him to ICE! He literally had to go through immigration court to prove that he was a USC and was here legally! The process took almost 4 years, during which time he lost his right to vote, and it also cost them a substantial amount of money in legal fees. If they had not gotten their congressman’s office involved, it would have taken even longer.
I'm going to get political here for a minute, but I truly believe that anyone who thinks having ID to vote isn't preventing people from voting needs to go through this process.

There are a ridiculous number of hoops to jump through. Not to mention, as I said, appointments being scheduled 4-6 months out. I also had to drive an hour away to a smaller town to get an appointment even four months away. And I had to take time off of work to do it, since they are only open during business hours.

What if I didn't have transportation or a license already? What if I couldn't afford to take time off of work because I didn't have PTO (A LOT of people don't)? Or what if I didn't have an employer who would give me the time off? What if I had misplaced her birth certificate and/or social security card and had to get another one? Again, without transportation or time off of work?

My daughter was born in Texas, I had all of the legal documents and pretty much every advantage, and it was still an expensive and complicated process.

And throw in the fact that every person who is working at the counter can just arbitrarily decide you need something, like proof of car registration.

Old 01-02-2023, 08:58 AM

11,793 posts, read 8,002,955 times
To be fair I agree with the proof of registration for every vehicle is a bit stringent and isnt something Ive run into before in other states.. and it does appear that in your specific case the representative was misleading you on due process as it does not seem to be required for existing residents.. ..but most (if not all) states currently require birth certificates and/or SSN identification cards for new or transferring drivers licenses. I needed mine for my Georgia learners permit and to reinstate my license when I moved back to Georgia. I also needed it to obtain my license in Washington state & Illinois, so that part isn't specific to TX. I've had to replace my Birth Certificate twice so far, usually it takes about a month to do so but I typically do this well in advance of actually needing it for verification purposes so I have not met a hiccup purely because my Birth Certificate as researching the requirements to obtain a license will typically make this requirement very apparent in most states.

The backlogs here did throw me for a hoop and I did end up having to renew my GA license while living in TX so I could technically have some legal drivers license while awaiting my appointment to transfer my out of state license. It is worse here than it was in GA and WA (although they typically required scheduled appointments as well) ... I am not sure how they were pre-pandemic so I cannot say if this is ordinary or not.

As for the other hurdles (transportation, PTO, ect) .. Just not seeing how this wouldnt be a issue in most other states.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 01-02-2023 at 09:08 AM..

Old 01-08-2023, 06:15 AM

4,842 posts, read 3,270,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
... but most (if not all) states currently require birth certificates and/or SSN identification cards for new or transferring drivers licenses.
Indeed. My wife got along her entire life of 60+ years without an official Texas birth certificate... and then we moved out of state. She's got one now.

Old 01-17-2023, 04:51 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
As for the other hurdles (transportation, PTO, ect) .. Just not seeing how this wouldnt be a issue in most other states.
Oh, it is. Which is why it's ridiculous to expect everyone to be able to navigate this process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: