Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 10:56 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times

Advertisements

My daughter has an appointment to get her learner's permit tomorrow. They require an absurd amount of paperwork that includes pretty much everything but an original copy of the Declaration of Independence.

I think I have all of it, but the website says a copy of Texas vehicle registration for all vehicles we own. I thought they didn't do printed registrations anymore. All of our cars are current on registration and inspection and are insured, but how the heck to I get a printed copy of the vehicle registrations?

I went to the TxDMV website but don't see any option to print any kind of registration. Can someone please help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2022, 02:45 PM

11,777 posts, read 7,989,264 times
I recently transferred my license from GA to TX (DMV was backlogged for months and Ive been waiting almost all year). They threw me a curveball with the registration paperwork for all my vehicles. The DMV was in Georgetown and I live in Leander and I had that appointment scheduled for about 6 months so I was pissed.. ..It is true that the website says it is required but in other states Ive never run into it and didnt expect to run into it here.

The printed registration they speak of is the paperwork that comes with the window sticker. They were nice enough to let me trek home and return and get back in queue instead of rescheduling but most people are not so lucky.

The rep I spoke to told me a picture of the window sticker would suffice and it could be emailed to them but I think you would have to speak with them personally on that.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:23 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
The printed registration they speak of is the paperwork that comes with the window sticker. They were nice enough to let me trek home and return and get back in queue instead of rescheduling but most people are not so lucky.

The rep I spoke to told me a picture of the window sticker would suffice and it could be emailed to them but I think you would have to speak with them personally on that.
Most people just toss that piece of paper after they peel the window sticker off, which is unfortunate because that information is often needed later. In your situation, you may need to go to the county vehicle registration office and have them reprint that information for you. I think it costs $1 per page IIRC.

Old 12-31-2022, 09:41 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
My daughter has an appointment to get her learner's permit tomorrow. They require an absurd amount of paperwork that includes pretty much everything but an original copy of the Declaration of Independence.

I think I have all of it, but the website says a copy of Texas vehicle registration for all vehicles we own. I thought they didn't do printed registrations anymore. All of our cars are current on registration and inspection and are insured, but how the heck to I get a printed copy of the vehicle registrations?

I went to the TxDMV website but don't see any option to print any kind of registration. Can someone please help?
The registration requirement only applies to new Texas residents. Here's the item from the form:

Evidence of Texas Vehicle Registration for each vehicle you own (New residents who are
surrendering an out-of-state driver license only)

For a Texas teen, the registration copies are not needed.

Old 12-31-2022, 11:18 AM

11,777 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Most people just toss that piece of paper after they peel the window sticker off, which is unfortunate because that information is often needed later. In your situation, you may need to go to the county vehicle registration office and have them reprint that information for you. I think it costs $1 per page IIRC.
I'm used to keeping them because previous states required us to keep the paper copy so I never threw mine away.

Old 12-31-2022, 07:52 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post

The County Tax Collector is the Agent for the Texas DMV in the area of collecting and processing registration and renewal fees. Contact your County Tax Assessor-Collector (found on the County Government WEB site) for assistance to obtain a replacement registration.

Old 12-31-2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
The County Tax Collector is the Agent for the Texas DMV in the area of collecting and processing registration and renewal fees. Contact your County Tax Assessor-Collector (found on the County Government WEB site) for assistance to obtain a replacement registration.
The registration copy isn't needed. That only applies to people moving to Texas from another state.

Old 12-31-2022, 09:36 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The registration copy isn't needed. That only applies to people moving to Texas from another state.

The OP's question was how to get a copy and not if a copy was needed and that question was answered.

Old 01-01-2023, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
The OP's question was how to get a copy and not if a copy was needed and that question was answered.
That may have been the question, but it was the wrong question. There's no need to have copies of registration to get a learner's permit for someone already living in Texas. The copies are only required if someone is new to Texas.

Old 01-01-2023, 08:35 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Thank you everyone. Turns out we didn't need it. The reason I asked is because my neighbor just went through this process for her teen and was sent away because she didn't have it.

For those of you who haven't been through this process recently, it is completely ridiculous. The amount of paperwork required is absurd and the website is very confusing as to what is needed. To make it even more fun, the people at the DMV seem to just arbitrarily require things. Like if you get the one person having a bad day, they will require proof of car registration for your teen.

I also had to schedule the appointment nearly 4 months in advance at a location over an hour away because it was the soonest appointment I could find. Oh, and my neighbor had to make another appointment to go back and try again. She got one 2 months out, but it's an hour and a half away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: