Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 07:12 PM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
School is a privilege, not an free benefit.
While, indeed, education in the US is a privilege (?) - the rule of law has made school attendance from the ages 6 to 17 mandatory in every state for the past 100 years.

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that there is no fundamental right to education under the federal Constitution.

Education may not be a "fundamental right" under the Constitution, the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment requires that when a state establishes a public school system (as in Texas), no child living in that state may be denied equal access to schooling.

However - generally, education is not a privilege. It is a human right.

So, I am a bit confused here.

Last edited by elnina; 02-13-2023 at 07:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2023, 07:32 PM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Greatest country in the World … where the constitution protects people’s right to carry a weapon
but voting, children education and healthcare is not protected by the constitution

Old 02-13-2023, 07:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
However - generally, education is not a privilege. It is a human right.

So, I am a bit confused here.
In many countries school is available as a privilege. i.e. if you don't treat it as such you can go without and suffer the consequences (starvation). School may also be mandatory in such countries, but you just might find yourself in reform school, but you will not be interrupting the delivery of rigorous academics to a 'public' classroom.

School officials in the USA should have had the integrity to push back on legislation that required them to degrade their deliverable, after all... our professional educators (of which I am one) could have directed the USA edu system into a performance mode, rather than the decline we've accepted for 50 yrs.

While school might have been REQUIRED, my 'unschooled' kids never registered or attended a k-12. They went direct to college by age 16. They tested every year (by choice), and we volunteered as a family in public schools 3x / week for many yrs, but never were registered as a swine / 'seat count' for tax / government funding benefit to the school. We got asked a lot why our kids weren't in school when living in Europe and Asia, but no one tossed us in the pokey. (tho school was mandatory in several countries we lived.) It was also very highly successful in those countries, of which Singapore, Germany, Switzerland, UK, Canada, Thailand, Malaysia, and others were a part. Some days we went to 4 countries during the day. No school required (or desired).

Schools in Texas could be greatly enhanced if schools embraced and leveraged the 4 day school week to the advantage of the school and the students and parents. It's super easy to do that. Schools could partner with civil, city, county, state, and businesses and colleges and grow the intellect and experience and community engagement of their students and families to significantly benefit the community. Truly a blessing and benefit to NOT attend traditional school that 5th day. Make it work, make it work well!

Old 02-13-2023, 08:04 PM

Quote:
While school might have been REQUIRED, my 'unschooled' kids never registered or attended a k-12. They went direct to college by age 16. They tested every year (by choice), and we volunteered as a family in public schools 3x / week for many yrs, but never were registered as a swine / 'seat count' for tax / government funding benefit to the school.
1. It’s almost impossible for an “unschooled” kid to go to college
2. Homeschooling (single income housewhole) is a luxury that the average family can’t afford

Old 02-14-2023, 09:00 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,241,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
School would run 7:30AM to 5Pm or 8AM to 5:30 PM

Don't see the problem here. Please explain the conflicts.
Four, sequential 9.5 hour days for 7,8,12 year olds?? Which in practice translates to 10+ hour days considering transportation.

Anyone who proposes this does not have kids. And if you have kids you either aren’t/weren’t involved in raising them, or have completely forgotten how that period of life works.

Old 02-14-2023, 09:12 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,425,556 times
They passed it. Starting in August all the kids in Texas schools will only go to school for 4 days.They will try it out for 3 years.

Old 02-14-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
They passed it. Starting in August all the kids in Texas schools will only go to school for 4 days.They will try it out for 3 years.
Thank God my kids are old enough to take care of themselves
Good luck to everybody else

Old 02-14-2023, 02:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
1. It’s almost impossible for an “unschooled” kid to go to college
2. Homeschooling (single income housewhole) is a luxury that the average family can’t afford
No problem for our kids (or on our state, which has offered free college instead of HS since 1991)... they took a college entrance exam @ Jr High age which proved they needed NO remedial classes (sub-100 level), they were in (and became full College JRs before end of HS age). Even my TX rural district is now offering FT college instead of HS That's really valuable for kids who don't need to be babysat through HS.

Homeschooling is only one of many options, and yes, it is very possible for single income earners to do it, you just have to align your priorities (which is important if you have the responsibility of kids). I worked 30+ yrs of night shift so I could be home with my kids (and farm) during the day. Plus we were in Public Schools as volunteers 3 days / week. Novel idea for public schools (and libraries) to be open at night... they usually have lights Farms and ranches are tough to work in the dark. Our kids were outside all the daylight hours, as was I.

Real pet peeve that my TX library is only open 10am - 6pm. Aren't their clients - school kids, working people, farmers... When are they supposed to come to the library? Of course several countries I lived, you must make reservations for the libraries, because they are FULL of students and parents. They are open until 10PM and sometimes midnight. And Sat and Sunday for full shift.

We (TX) have very very easy academic life, but killer ISD taxes.

Old 02-14-2023, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Homeschooling is only one of many options, and yes, it is very possible for single income earners to do it, you just have to align your priorities (which is important if you have the responsibility of kids)
I was the only person working in my house for a long time
And I can tell you this … it’s not easy
I got to the point that I learned to be a mechanic and fixed our cars on weekends to save money
While all our neighbors and friends were having parties and enjoying life.

Old 02-15-2023, 03:10 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,425,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Thank God my kids are old enough to take care of themselves
Good luck to everybody else
Right. It just seems like many parents are going to be facing tough choices pretty soon. So far not too many people are complaining about it, but the procrastinators haven't spoken yet. When the time comes people will be _itching and moaning left and right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: