Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 31,159 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I plan on moving to Kerrville,TX with a great job opportunity but I'm very nervous about taking this job. My daughters and I would be moving so their safety is my concern. With no family there I wouldn't know where to go. My question is "Is Kerrville,TX a great place to live?", "Are they friendly?", How's the crime any racism? I really need help in making this decision.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 01:50 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I had a great uncle who lived there for many, many years. We'd go and visit every once in a while and to me it seems just fine. There are lots of artists and The Kerrville Folk Festival goes on every year. It's a very large music event sort of like the Telluride Bluegrass Festival. They even advertise it in Telluride during their fest. There's a big cowboy culture there as well, but it is in the hill country where ranching was king. Can't tell anything about the crime or rascism, but I never noticed any problems and never hear any stories about it.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:57 PM

6 posts, read 41,316 times
I lived there 10 years ago and I thought Kerrville was a great place to live. There are a lot of retired, elderly people living there. I was taking care of my Dad at the time when he had cancer and I was able to live with him in a senior citizen apartment. However, I'm not sure about the other apartments and crime rate, etc. I later moved back to San Antonio and heard of a rape at the park near the river (in Kerrville). This was a big deal (it made the San Antonio news) because Kerrville was known to be a safe place to live.
I actually loved it there and felt safe. The people were friendly and I liked working with elderly people.
Loved the scenery and the weather. There were a lot of outdoor things to do. Not sure how it would be for your daughters. I think the schools were good there.
Hope you can visit Kerrville and get a feel for the town and maybe someone can give you more answers!

Old 05-29-2008, 03:25 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrios2948 View Post
Hi everyone,

I plan on moving to Kerrville,TX with a great job opportunity but I'm very nervous about taking this job. My daughters and I would be moving so their safety is my concern. With no family there I wouldn't know where to go. My question is "Is Kerrville,TX a great place to live?", "Are they friendly?", How's the crime any racism? I really need help in making this decision.

Thanks
I dont live in Kerrville but my daughter-en-law grew up there and she has loved it. Her family has never had a problem with crime. They are very friendly, she met my son in Utah and he married her because of that southern hospitality. It's not too far from San Antonio. They now live in Houston but she misses Kerrville.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:45 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Thumbs up Hill Country Personality

You won't have any problems in Kerrville. And you certainly won't go wrong with the scenery that surrounds it. This is the Hill Country at its finest, and you'll love it there. My visits there have always been great.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 31,159 times
Thank you for your time and wonderful information that you gave me. I will keep it in mind.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:12 PM

10 posts, read 78,478 times
I grew up in Kerrville and my family still lives there. We also own a home there and I hope to live there again one day. K'ville is a great place to raise kids. Racism, in general, can be an issue in that part of Texas, but in Kerrville, it's much lower on the radar, it seems. Not sure why, but racism didn't seem to be as prevalent there as it has been in other Texas cities I've lived in for periods of time.

The cost of living there is relatively low, though property taxes will kill you, so I would advise you to purchase outside of the city limits...no city taxes... I actually went to school in Ingram (small town, six miles from K'ville, but still basically K'ville) and my son went to Ingram and Hunt, TX schools for a period of time, as well.

Overall, K'ville is a very pleasant and friendly place!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:18 PM

12 posts, read 62,218 times
if you have a job waiting for you in kerrville, go for it. it's a great small city.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 14,641 times
Smile Senior housing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRose View Post
I lived there 10 years ago and I thought Kerrville was a great place to live. There are a lot of retired, elderly people living there. I was taking care of my Dad at the time when he had cancer and I was able to live with him in a senior citizen apartment. However, I'm not sure about the other apartments and crime rate, etc. I later moved back to San Antonio and heard of a rape at the park near the river (in Kerrville). This was a big deal (it made the San Antonio news) because Kerrville was known to be a safe place to live.
I actually loved it there and felt safe. The people were friendly and I liked working with elderly people.
Loved the scenery and the weather. There were a lot of outdoor things to do. Not sure how it would be for your daughters. I think the schools were good there.
Hope you can visit Kerrville and get a feel for the town and maybe someone can give you more answers!
Texas Rose, can you give me more info re. the senior citizen apt? Was it a nursing home or also for active seniors, was it very expensive, and do you remember the name? Thank you for any help you can give.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 13,967 times
I want to move to the Kerrville area, had an application in with Mo Ranch, but someone got the job same day i applied. I need a good job, and a place to live i can afford, according to the job. Helpppp
If you moved there, maybe you can help me.
Thanks Kari
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas