Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 02:33 PM

168 posts, read 501,108 times

Advertisements

Thanks Bones That is good to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 11:42 PM

3 posts, read 8,239 times
Hi everyone. I just learned of this site from Mr. Bones. Hi Bones! I have spent some time this evening reading all of the posts on this forum Sounds like a great bunch of here. I am a native west texan myself although i have been gone for quite some time now. I was born in Odessa and lived in a Phillips Petroleum company camp close to Rankin Texas. None of which is the Dell City area but west texas desert nontheless. Anyway i just wanted to say howdy to ya'll and i am a bit confused on the Mike Stevens thing. Has anyone here purchased any property from Stephens Properties LP which is run by a Mike Stephens out of Pennsylvania. He is currently selling land out there on ebay. Does the Mike Stephens that lives out there still have land for sale? Any info would be helpfull. I want to purchase land but i don't want to get caught up in some kind of another Wallaceville fiasco.
Thanks,
John

Old 09-07-2008, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,917 times
Cool Hello Cornudas

I am new to the Forum,but I have been reading Threads for years,and have enjoyed all the past years stories about Wallacetown,airplanes,water,dust,snakes,ect.I am the owner of the 6.5 acres on the highway just to the east of the White Gate/cattle guard.In fact,my property iron pin is in the middle of the cattle guard(of course the road easement). Have owned the property outright for probably 20+ years.265' highway frontage.Thought about building a small place there but ended up 100 miles SE up in the cool Davis Mtns. @ 5400' elv.Originally from El Paso,I probably ate at least 1000 of May's Famous Burgers,cooked @ her Chili Cook-offs,and miss the Cafe very much.I would love to see that old burger griddle fired up once more.And just in case anybody has seen me out on my lot,I go out there and re-flag my corners and front fenceline and yes there has been signs I have placed that the lot is indeed for sale.I will continue to put in my 2 cents worth as I have finally broke the ice.I really have enjoyed the Forum

Old 09-07-2008, 10:08 AM

245 posts, read 695,666 times
Hey John, good to see you decided to stop by!

camomack, good to see a new face pop in.

Muhnay, this thread you started just won't die.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:38 PM

8 posts, read 21,508 times
Hi billybones! Nice to see you're still here! If I didn't do it then (think I did) I want to thank you again for the pictures you posted of your trip, gave me a good idea of what the land is like 50 miles E of El Paso where my property is. Has everybody elses' taxes been going up quite a bit on just bare land? Nothing built on mine and every year they raise them!! Wish I knew if and when it was going to stop, or even if it's legal. Anyone?? Don't mind putting in my fair share, but how much do they NEED!!??? It seems like it is going to get to the point where no one will have the money to pay taxes, then what will they do? Take all our land?
So anyway, has the bug bit you yet to make another trip out to the wild west? Read an earlier post about a coffee shop. Maybe I can come out and open a Starbucks!:-)
Take care, hope all is well and perhaps we can all get together for a cookout one of those nice, clear, warm evenings up there.
Mike

Old 09-08-2008, 05:23 AM

3 posts, read 8,239 times
Default Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by camomack View Post
I am new to the Forum,but I have been reading Threads for years,and have enjoyed all the past years stories about Wallacetown,airplanes,water,dust,snakes,ect.I am the owner of the 6.5 acres on the highway just to the east of the White Gate/cattle guard.In fact,my property iron pin is in the middle of the cattle guard(of course the road easement). Have owned the property outright for probably 20+ years.265' highway frontage.Thought about building a small place there but ended up 100 miles SE up in the cool Davis Mtns. @ 5400' elv.Originally from El Paso,I probably ate at least 1000 of May's Famous Burgers,cooked @ her Chili Cook-offs,and miss the Cafe very much.I would love to see that old burger griddle fired up once more.And just in case anybody has seen me out on my lot,I go out there and re-flag my corners and front fenceline and yes there has been signs I have placed that the lot is indeed for sale.I will continue to put in my 2 cents worth as I have finally broke the ice.I really have enjoyed the Forum
Hi. I am new to this forum myself so we have at least one thing in common. Although you are a oldtimer reading it.
I am wondering about the 6.5 acres you have for sale. I am not from the area so i don't know where it is located at exactly from your description but i would be interested in finding out more about it.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:10 PM

245 posts, read 695,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandRat View Post
Has everybody elses' taxes been going up quite a bit on just bare land? Nothing built on mine and every year they raise them!! Wish I knew if and when it was going to stop, or even if it's legal. Anyone??
Mike, I was just looking at the letter I got from the county. It's the notice of appraised value.

Last year the land's market value was $1080. Now get this, proposed value this year, $2600! Wow did this turn out to be a great investment, lol! More than doubled the value in one year, amazing! Oh wait, I did make an improvement. It must have been the spot of tar bush I cleared to park my car.

The total taxes are $43.35 so I can't complain too much.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:51 AM

5 posts, read 17,067 times
Default Cornudas Cafe

Hi all,

After reading all the threads thought I might Post. If the Cornudas cafe was to reopen with the World Famous Cornudas Burger and the Hot Java, along with Wi-Fi, not that anyone needs Wi-Fi cause Dell Telephone does have a pretty awsome communictions network. That one still boggles my mind, High speed internet in the middle of the desert, but limited cell phone service. LOL. Anyway if the Cafe was to reopen it would be a great place to hang out wouldn't you think. And what if you could get the staple items you needed without having to go to dell city wouldn't that be cool. Hmmmmm, Maybe it could happen. What do you think. Hey sometime when you pass by cornudas stop by and see how Sara and Carlos are doing they are the caretakers and really nice people. Posted by: John

Old 09-15-2008, 10:45 PM

25 posts, read 67,348 times
Hey JonJon...what type of high speed internet does Dell telephone have, wireless? or through a landline?
Seth

Old 09-15-2008, 10:49 PM

5 posts, read 17,067 times
Default Dell Telephone DSL

They have DSL at a pretty good speed. I was told by one of the techs there they have the capability to run fiber to the home. If you did not know it, Dell Telephone is a pretty well funded co-op.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas