Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,332 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I am mom of 1 year daughter and living in New Jersey. I am working as Mechanical Designer in New York and my husband is working in Telecommunication company. Now with the daughter i am tired of winter and specially very very expensive. Each year the taxes and commuting expense goes sky rocket. I am planning to relocate to Texas because of the weather and cost of living. My preferences are Houston or Dallas. Please let me know which city is better for telecommunication industry. Also the cost of living and what else should i consider in terms of relocation.

Please let me know

Thanks
KS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 10:08 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Not sure which city would meet your personal preference, they are both great. But for the telecom industry Dallas hands down. However, Houston has a slightly lower cost of living (slightly).

Old 09-15-2011, 10:15 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Yeah, what Justme said.

But apply to both and see which area bites. Don't move without jobs.

things to consider:

Traffic.

you will enjoy you stay here a lot more if you live near where you work. DFW and Houston are both the size of NJ and so they may have killer commutes if you live too far from your job

Old 09-15-2011, 02:59 PM

343 posts, read 805,270 times
Dallas is stronger in telecommunications for sure, but like HTown said, don't move here assuming you will find work. The two areas may have it better than the rest of the country, but there are still no guarantees.

Search for your best job opportunities first, and then focus your search in whatever Metro area that lands you in

Old 09-15-2011, 05:14 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishuonline123 View Post
Hi All

I am mom of 1 year daughter and living in New Jersey. I am working as Mechanical Designer in New York and my husband is working in Telecommunication company. Now with the daughter i am tired of winter and specially very very expensive. Each year the taxes and commuting expense goes sky rocket. I am planning to relocate to Texas because of the weather and cost of living. My preferences are Houston or Dallas. Please let me know which city is better for telecommunication industry. Also the cost of living and what else should i consider in terms of relocation.

Please let me know

Thanks
KS
Dallas

There are also more people from the Northeast in Dallas than in Houston, which draws more people from California & the rest of the world.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:32 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Dallas has more Telecom but Houston probably has more for Mechanical Design.

To someone from out of state, I think you'll find the two cities more similar than different. Right down to the demographics, very similar. To me, Houston itself is a little more quirky, more laid-back, and less focused on image. Dallas is more organized and planned. Dallas is inland while Houston is near the coast. Houston is greener/more forested (well, at least before this awful drought.)

These days, it's not as easy to get jobs though.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
There are also more people from the Northeast in Dallas than in Houston, which draws more people from California.
Not doubting you, but do you have data on that?

Old 09-16-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post

These days, it's not as easy to get jobs though.
This. I would strongly advise anyone to have a job before moving to either city.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:29 AM

563 posts, read 910,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

There are also more people from the Northeast in Dallas than in Houston, which draws more people from California & the rest of the world.

I would also like a link to this data for future reference.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:09 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
I would also like a link to this data for future reference.
yeah, that sounds like an interesting read. I wanna eyeball it too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas