Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2008, 08:25 PM

558 posts, read 385,336 times

Advertisements

I have read a few threads where native Texans are very upset and downright angry that people from other states are moving to Texas. They often speak as though Texas was a seperate country and we were illegal immigrants raiding down on this Republic. I had the opinion that people from Houston were really nice folks...however, as I read more and more, my opinion is starting to change. What are your thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 08:55 PM

378 posts, read 1,441,863 times
Well, Texas is pretty much it's own country about the size of France and with it's own distinct cultures. Any ways back to the question not really in fact no one really cares if your from a different stat your you and if someone is rude to you it's cause were just human some nice some not so nice just like any other state, city, or even country. You have the good people and the bad people just dust them off your shoulder and move on.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:07 PM

360 posts, read 1,087,238 times
I grew up in Central Florida. Disney World came in when I was 12 and it's never been the same. Pre-Disney we were a string of small towns with some distance between us. We had woods and lakes and orange groves. Still have the lakes, but it all seems one continuous suburb now. Crime is thru the roof, so's home prices. And most newcomers don't seem to share our values. I left 7 years ago but marvel when I go home. As a newcomer to Texas I sense some resentment about outsiders. And I've come to realize I don't share the same values of many locals here. I don't think Texas is monolithic values wise. And that's a plus for outsiders. Texas is big enough to find a good fit.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:15 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
The only resentment I've seen personally is when someone comes here from elsewhere and promptly starts trying to make Texas into wherever they came from and badmouthing the things that are some of the reasons we DON'T live where they came from. But that's rude and bad manners and likely to cause resentment whether it's someone from somewhere else coming to Texas and doing it or someone going from Texas to somewhere else and doing it, or someone going from one place to another and doing it, without Texas being in the equation at all.

Other than that (which is not so much resentment of outsiders as resentment of rudeness), except for things getting a bit crowded and the occasional crankiness that can cause, I don't think there's a lot of resentment.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:29 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,973,903 times
Following the advice of the TX Horse Lady:

Be nice, be respectful, and understand we move just a tad bit slower in Texas. The farther south you go, the slower we move (yes, even in Austin). Austin is my home.

It's not about attitude or political position: it is about respect for one and others.

I believe your parents taught you to be nice and respect people. If you do that, you will fit into this great State. If not - find another state. Avoid Oklahoma and any other states in this longitude because that's how most of us were raised. Respect of parents and family values is a tradition and part of our collective souls.

Come on down - I welcome you to our state. We are a good group of folks.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:25 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
I pretty well agree with what most of the rest of y'all are saying. That is, I have no problem at all with transplants (yankee or otherwise) unless they are the type to start in about how much better it was (wherever). Sometimes it is just a manifestation of cultural differences, of course. That is to say, what might be considered admirable frankness "up north" is sometimes considered tacky rudeness down here.

To be fair though, I have also encountered many transplants who embrace Texas and Texas ways with the fervor of the proverbial "new convert" and become very much "one of us" so to speak!

So y'all come see us!

Old 03-15-2008, 09:46 AM

415 posts, read 1,717,977 times
Technically, I'm a transplant. I feel as though Texas is my home and have never been unwelcome here.

I do resent people who come in and call us ignorant or backwards. I don't appreciate people being rude. I don't like constant references to the great place you LEFT and negative comparisons about the place you CHOSE to come to.

Plenty of people have asked where I moved from and when I say Wisconsin, not a single one has said (or hinted) that I should move back. Most of them don't know that I left Texas to go to Wisconsin, either. However, my response to the question "How do you like it?" is *always* positive.

*For the record, those Northern people who claim to love their openness and honesty don't want to hear bad things about their state, either.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:51 AM

220 posts, read 381,579 times
Patriotic American citizens with good families are welcome.

The rest I could do without.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:01 AM

493 posts, read 636,645 times
I think transplants are good and help build the vibe of Texas...born, raised, and finishing up me schooling in the same city...Denton, Texas Baby!!!! I have seen it change quite a bit...suburban sprawl has really shot up on the southern part of the city and it is growing at quite an enormous pace...the only beef I would have with transplants is that their rapid purchase of cheap (from their perspective) real estate changes the feel of a city...Denton has had a distinct identity...(please don't refer to it as the austin of 20 years ago)...it is it's own town...and the sprawl is kind of making it look like Frisco (which isn't necessarily bad)...but Frisco doesn't really seem to have that core-town feel...if you can catch my drift...and Denton seems to have its own unique soul (I'm not bashing towns built upon sprawl or Frisco for that manner)...I just don't like the thought of municipalities character's changing...other than that...I think that if you're a former yankee, westerner, midwesterner, or deep southerner and you have settled in Texas and got a bit of the Lone Star Spirit in you...you're more than welcome in my book Partner...

Old 03-15-2008, 10:28 AM

634 posts, read 2,921,860 times
As long as they respect Texas, our flag, our 'culture', they'll be all right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas