Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 08:08 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,252 times

Advertisements

Only 10% of the state at most gets less than 10 inches of rain. Eastern Texas is green and has a lot of trees. Why is it considered dry and western? I think it has a lot of Eastern influence too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 08:16 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,601,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Only 10% of the state at most gets less than 10 inches of rain. Eastern Texas is green and has a lot of trees. Why is it considered dry and western? I think it has a lot of Eastern influence too.
My guess is the biggest reason has to do with those old Hollywood westerns. In reality they were filmed in Arizona and desert parts of Southern California. These films were quite popular from the 40's to the 60's and I think they entrenched into the American mindset that the whole state was one big wasteland of desert and cactus!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:32 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,378,461 times
hmm i dunno, my sister lives on Kaua'i (Hawaii) and was surprised at how "green" my grass was in my backyard...she didnt think we had green grass. WTF!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:43 PM

303 posts, read 846,049 times
Funny, that's the opposite of what I heard when I first heard of Texas. When my mom mentioned to us that we were moving to Texas (Austin specifically) that it would be humid there. I had already seen some western parts of the state going through El Paso and Pecos and such on the I-10 and 20 and they looked about as dry as SoCal and southern Arizona, where I lived the first half of my life.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:23 PM

52,685 posts, read 47,940,162 times
Default So Much More

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
You have to get to know our state. The desert lands are in West Texas. Another feature found in West Texas are mountains, and they are truly majestic. All the forests, tall pines and green trees are in East Texas. You'll also find prairies and lakes in North and Central Texas. Also found in Central Texas is the Hill Country, and it is best described through pictures. You'll have interesting rock cuts, rolling hills, vistas, and southwestern yucca. Oh, and a lot of small cacti. In the Panhandle and the south plains (West and Northwest Texas), there's caprock and lots of farmland, as well as canyons. Southeast Texas features the beaches of the upper coastal bend. South Texas is plains and desert lands.

You have to also get past the misconception that Texas is nothing but tumbleweeds and Wild West desert. This land is so much more. Come see this.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:30 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
You have to get to know our state. The desert lands are in West Texas. Another feature found in West Texas are mountains, and they are truly majestic. All the forests, tall pines and green trees are in East Texas. You'll also find prairies and lakes in North and Central Texas. Also found in Central Texas is the Hill Country, and it is best described through pictures. You'll have interesting rock cuts, rolling hills, vistas, and southwestern yucca. Oh, and a lot of small cacti. In the Panhandle and the south plains (West and Northwest Texas), there's caprock and lots of farmland, as well as canyons. Southeast Texas features the beaches of the upper coastal bend. South Texas is plains and desert lands.

You have to also get past the misconception that Texas is nothing but tumbleweeds and Wild West desert. This land is so much more. Come see this.
My goodness, I've never heard Texas described quite this well and it never sounded so good! I have only been in Texas 4 months so I am still learning!

Old 06-12-2008, 08:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Movies Most peole saw Texas in movies and it was really california.Its like watching TV and think that is typical USA. Watching the reality shows and think that is a typical person in the states.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:54 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times
It's definitely the movies. It's also interesting that it's characterized this way, because most of the population of the state don't live in the desert, dry areas.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:58 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
My goodness, I've never heard Texas described quite this well and it never sounded so good! I have only been in Texas 4 months so I am still learning!
Don't worry it's not your fault. Growing up as a native Texan you have to take Texas History/Geography about twice, which at one point I thought was normal for other states, but it's not! I think this is where the "Texas pride" stems from.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:17 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Movies Most peole saw Texas in movies and it was really california.
The eucalyptus trees in the old westerns were always a clear give away that the cowboys chasing the bank robbers were not anywhere near Texas. Also one would have to look hard and long in Texas to find a place with huge rounded boulders that provided the great Hollywood shoot-it-out scenes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas